Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

Question for the Kuiu, The Ultra 7000 i know is no longer in existance but it looks like you have the new Pro series suspension not to confuse people. I’ll also state using the old vs New is dramatically different now and is a HUGE change in how loads are carried. Way more comfort. I added one more foam piece to my lumbar and it seemed to fit better for me. The new straps feel better and the back against the frame feels wider and more stable.

Load test you did with timing. I was a bit surprised you didn’t load shelf the Kuiu vs load it into the main compartment.

I will say the new pro bags have a thicker material than the ultra and they also run a different fabric on the inside of the pockets which I suspect is dramatically more waterproof than the ultra (I own 2 ultra bags and a new pro bag). Regardless it isn’t X-pac for the people wondering but it isn’t plain cordura.

I am wondering if there is any real benefit going towards an SG. Wondering if the grass is truly greener on the other side. Think I’m leaving anything on the table?

I will note a buddy of mine bought a MR beartooth 80 last year and said the new suspension (hip belt especially) dramatically felt better and cupped the hips better than the metcalf he tried on.

Last edited:
Question for the Kuiu, The Ultra 7000 i know is no longer in existance but it looks like you have the new Pro series suspension not to confuse people. I’ll also state using the old vs New is dramatically different now and is a HUGE change in how loads are carried. Way more comfort. I added one more foam piece to my lumbar and it seemed to fit better for me. The new straps feel better and the back against the frame feels wider and more stable.

Load test you did with timing. I was a bit surprised you didn’t load shelf the Kuiu vs load it into the main compartment.

I will say the new pro bags have a thicker material than the ultra and they also run a different fabric on the inside of the pockets which I suspect is dramatically more waterproof than the ultra (I own 2 ultra bags and a new pro bag). Regardless it isn’t X-pac for the people wondering but it isn’t plain cordura.

I am wondering if there is any real benefit going towards an SG. Wondering if the grass is truly greener on the other side. Think I’m leaving anything on the table?

I will note a buddy of mine bought a MR beartooth 80 last year and said the new suspension (hip belt especially) dramatically felt better and cupped the hips better than the metcalf he tried on.
How did you manage to get the extra lumbar pad into the pro suspension? I fought it for 20 minutes before I gave up.

Outlaw99

WKR
Zach, great video. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I’m curious after a couple of your loaded pack results what size waist are you? Also, we’re all the waist belts the same size on each pack?

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I will be testing some of the leading packs against each other. I have several tests lines up to simulate hunting and backpacking scenarios.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.

***Update 8/5/2020*** The Backpack Showdown - Part 1

Please let me know in the comments:
  • Questions you have on each specific pack.
  • Tests you would like to see performed.
  • Anything else that comes to mind.
Thank you!
I thought that was a very thorough review on all packs, very well done.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
what was the user error on the Seek Outside? I used a Seek Outside last year and the hip belt was top notch. I don't think I'll ever go to carrying 160 pound loads but I really appreciate the work that went into this test!

A shame you had to return the Kuiu back to your freind who lent it to you and won’t be doing further testing on it since it was one of the front runners.

Was surprised as others stated that the MR used was the Cabinet. I think the Beartooth with new suspension would have been better suited in this comparison. Having said that, I owned a MR Metcalf and didn’t care for it and sold it for the Kuiu so maybe it wouldn’t have mattered.

Surprised by the Kifaru not getting as high of marks with the heavy load test. As many would suspect it was the “king of the mtn” but.....maybe not.

Regardless, the effort and time put into this goes without saying.....JOB WELL DONE. Looking forward to...... “the rest of the story”.

Thanks for all of the effort put into the review. Looking forward to seeing Part 2. I wonder if the seek would have been quicker to load in the revolution platform vs integrated, and how the xpac fabric would have done in the water test vs the spectra. On the load test, were you using any of the frame extensions, or just the standard 24" frame?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yes it was the pro series suspension. As for the grass being greener, I guess you would first have to be unhappy with something about your KUIU. Stone Glacier makes excellent packs but, unless you are first unhappy with your current pack it makes it harder to beat. But to that same point you could try on the Stone Glacier and it fit your body well and be blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Zach Herold

great start to the review- thank you! It would be nice to know which companies offered the direct help for proper backpack fit and what your specs are?

Al other companies that sent a pack (Initial Ascent, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO Mtn Gear, Sitka, and Kifaru) were there for to help anytime I needed it.

I’m 5’6”, 156lbs, about an 18” torso and a very small waist. Sometimes size 28” pants are to big.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all of the effort put into the review. Looking forward to seeing Part 2. I wonder if the seek would have been quicker to load in the revolution platform vs integrated, and how the xpac fabric would have done in the water test vs the spectra. On the load test, were you using any of the frame extensions, or just the standard 24" frame?

For the load test I only used the standard frame. Obviously some of the packs like seek Outside and EXO offer very simple frame extensions and that is simply a bonus to having that pack instead of another in my opinion.

Outlaw99

WKR
Zach, did you have a xs kifaru belt or was it a small?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
A shame you had to return the Kuiu back to your freind who lent it to you and won’t be doing further testing on it since it was one of the front runners.

Was surprised as others stated that the MR used was the Cabinet. I think the Beartooth with new suspension would have been better suited in this comparison. Having said that, I owned a MR Metcalf and didn’t care for it and sold it for the Kuiu so maybe it wouldn’t have mattered.

Surprised by the Kifaru not getting as high of marks with the heavy load test. As many would suspect it was the “king of the mtn” but.....maybe not.

Regardless, the effort and time put into this goes without saying.....JOB WELL DONE. Looking forward to...... “the rest of the story”.

Thank you I appreciate it. Currently working with KUIU to get a pack for part two which will be the same suspension system as the pack I used in part one.

As for the mystery ranch it was the cabinet because that’s what I own and when I reached out to mystery ranch they didn’t respond.

Kifaru is great but for whatever reason like I stated in the video for my body build it always feels like its sliding down over my lower back/tailbone which in turn makes me feel like I need to adjust it. Kinda the same feeling as when you need a belt for your pants and they keep sliding down.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
what was the user error on the Seek Outside? I used a Seek Outside last year and the hip belt was top notch. I don't think I'll ever go to carrying 160 pound loads but I really appreciate the work that went into this test!

After talking with Kevin and Nathan (Nathan engineered the pack I used from Seek Outside) he said when the load is that heavy run the webbing for the hip belt buckle through only one side of it allowing the ladder locks to work together.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zach, great video. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I’m curious after a couple of your loaded pack results what size waist are you? Also, we’re all the waist belts the same size on each pack?

I wear a 28”-30” waist pant most the time needing a belt. And the waist belts were all small or in some cases medium because like pant manufacturers a small in one company isn’t necessarily the same “small” in another company. So I told the companies (Initial Ascent, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, Sitka, and Seek Outside) what size I was and then used what they recommended.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
No you said it in the video and I understand that. And it probably wouldn’t have made much* of a difference given the material and frame should be similar/identical. But I know the new frame and hip belt would hopefully have made some difference. And of course I own the new Beartooth and was hoping for a comparison against the competition. Basically griping because it would have served my purposes better.

well thanks for being honest ha ha.

Outlaw99

WKR
I wear a 28”-30” waist pant most the time needing a belt. And the waist belts were all small or in some cases medium because like pant manufacturers a small in one company isn’t necessarily the same “small” in another company. So I told the companies (Initial Ascent, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, Sitka, and Seek Outside) what size I was and then used what they recommended.

Before the second part of your test, you should see if kifaru will send you an XS belt. I ran into similar issues as you and have a similar build. Swapping the xs for the small solved it for me. Thanks again for the reviews

I’m 5’6”, 156lbs, about an 18” torso and a very small waist. Sometimes size 28” pants are to big.

You loaded yourself on your back? No thanks.

Great review, seems like really they are all great packs for the most part and might be splitting hairs on some of the aspects. Such as loading your meat bag. It's not like one was 30 seconds and another was over 10 minutes. Definitely differences, and can come into play. If one of them actually had dry tp in it I missed that as well.

I'd be curious for a future review if you could determine a weight range where a certain pack becomes uncomfortable. I have found over 80# it just generally sucks. I have also gotten concerned about injury and feel that I'll never have over 100# on my back again.

Like I said I think it's a very detailed review, enjoyed watching it.

Thanks for putting it together.