Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to keep my mouth shut in regards to my Kuiu pack on this forum (for.. obvious reasons), but I have packed around a Kuiu Ultra and a Stone Glacier X-curve on and off over the last year. Weight difference is negligible, but I have found the Ultra to be slightly more comfortable on my body type (5'11, 205) with a load and have had zero issues with quality on either. I would trust either without a second guess. I typically just keep them setup with different size packs for different length trips.

Upon doing some research a year ago I ended up getting a Stone Glacier pack for myself, nice to see it did well in this test. Looking forward to part 2.

Saying the KUIU pack is this good is like telling me I should go back and re-listen to the Backstreet Boys and I will surely discover that they are equivalent to Led Zeppelin.

Might be more like deciding to listen to Aaron Lewis, you might not have been a fan of Staind. But he evolved a bit since then.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
People shouldn't feel triggered or get mad. what some set forth as industry leaders others playing catch-up quickly do so, this is largely due to engineers taking the competitions product and improving upon it or mimic its best features and implementing them into their own product.

couldnt you take a little from each pack and create the ultimate backpack? The one pack to rule them all, lol 😂

I went from a camelback to a badlands daypack to a SG Avail, so my exp is limited with a pack carrying weight. so I’m playing close attention to this test as i will be a heading out west this upcoming year.

I’m very impressed with SG pack and looking hard @ their new frame.

Brendan

WKR
Maybe I missed this, but when it comes to loudness, is a bigger bar better or worse?

One comment about Kifaru - I think they're great when you finally get them adjusted, but man it took me years to figure out what worked best for me when it came to heavy loads, and calls to Aron and Customer service didn't help. I love the packs, but I definitely need to wear them higher on my hips than most recommend. If I had to wager, it's because of where the lumbar pad sits in the small of my back, i need the pack up slightly higher to get it to sit right. @Zach Herold - you might try bumping the belt up higher so the bottom third of the belt as opposed to the middle sits over the point of the hips, tighten it down there.

Next pack I'd love to try is the Stone Glacier, but too many gear purchases already this year.

HNTR918

WKR
There are a couple things you can do to speed up the loading. I'm working on a packing heavy loads video that will cover some of it. The elevated external load shelf is the fastest method I know of.

X-Pac vs. Spectra....honestly in that test I don't know there would be a lot of difference. You could see water beading up on the Spectra fabric, it didn't look like it was penetrating. Meaning it was coming through the seams. I'd love to seam seal our pack and repeat the test. It'd also be interesting to see weight before water test and weight after.

Any tips on seam sealing a SO Spectra pack?

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I missed this, but when it comes to loudness, is a bigger bar better or worse?

One comment about Kifaru - I think they're great when you finally get them adjusted, but man it took me years to figure out what worked best for me when it came to heavy loads, and calls to Aron and Customer service didn't help. I love the packs, but I definitely need to wear them higher on my hips than most recommend. If I had to wager, it's because of where the lumbar pad sits in the small of my back, i need the pack up slightly higher to get it to sit right. @Zach Herold - you might try bumping the belt up higher so the bottom third of the belt as opposed to the middle sits over the point of the hips, tighten it down there.

Next pack I'd love to try is the Stone Glacier, but too many gear purchases already this year.

Man you should really give SG a try. I won’t mention names but I had one of the highest end packs that Zach reviewed and got the same results as he did. Could not keep the pack locked on to my hips, causing weight to be transferred to my shoulders. It didn’t matter how tight I cinched the belt. I went to SG and never looked back. SG blew my mind, you don’t have to cinch the SG up near as tight to get it to lock on your hips and it will ride like a dream.
You shouldn’t have to make phone calls to customer support and spend weeks making adjustments. When you get the right pack it will fit and feel good within a few tweaks. I found with SG the adjustments didn’t have to be so particular, I can wear the pack with several different variances in the adjustments and still feel comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Man you should really give SG a try. I won’t mention names but I had one of the highest end packs that Zach reviewed and got the same results as he did. Could not keep the pack locked on to my hips, causing weight to be transferred to my shoulders. It didn’t matter how tight I cinched the belt. I went to SG and never looked back. SG blew my mind, you don’t have to cinch the SG up near as tight to get it to lock on your hips and it will ride like a dream.
You shouldn’t have to make phone calls to customer support and spend weeks making adjustments. When you get the right pack it will fit and feel good within a few tweaks. I found with SG the adjustments didn’t have to be so particular, I can wear the pack with several different variances in the adjustments and still feel comfortable.

I agree and I don't. I'll speak to Kifaru because it's my experience of these packs, without talking about Ebrlestock - won't go there....

I think one of the benefits of, and one of the downsides of Kifaru is how adjustable they are and how many different options there are. You need the stay length correct, you need the stay profile correct, you need the right length shoulder straps, the right length belt, and you need to get everything adjusted correctly. The shear number of options and adjustability is a blessing and a curse here, especially if what works for you isn't what works for most.

I love the packs and they fit me great and carry weight very easily for me without dropping down on my hips, it just took me a little while to get there. I think in my case because if I wear the belt over the center of my hips, that places the lumbar pad not in the small of my back, but slightly below it and riding out my ass which causes it to slip eventually.

It's like boots - What some people will find is some packs just fit them better easily out of the box, and someone else will have the exact opposite experience with that same pack. I might try Stone Glacier and hate it, who knows.

KHNC

WKR
I absolutely LOVE the fact that Seek Outside beat out Kifaru in most every category. Especially since they were excluded in the initial report. Damn good packs! I have a Unaweep and a Peregrine. Both are outstanding! Especially in the lightweight and carries a HEAVY LOAD category.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I absolutely LOVE the fact that Seek Outside beat out Kifaru in most every category. Especially since they were excluded in the initial report. Damn good packs! I have a Unaweep and a Peregrine. Both are outstanding! Especially in the lightweight and carries a HEAVY LOAD category.

“Excluded” might be a little strong. “Just hadn’t invited yet” more like it.

Glad everyone spoke up to get them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk