Backpacking/Hunting Stove Recommendations

Have two msr stoves that are both great . Whisperlite which uses liquid fuel and the pocket rocket 2 which screws onto a canister. Take either one depending on what i'm doing . Can't go wrong with either in my opinion .

Ratbeetle

WKR
I use a MSR pocket rocket 2 and an Evernew titanium cook pot. Weight is only 5.2oz for the set. Add another 7oz or so for a small fuel can.

15layherb

FNG
Msr pocket rocket 2 with msr titanium pot and coffee cup are a great lightweight way to go. Watch the handles on the pot though, they’re small and get hot fast.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
When backpacking with my wife, I use an MSR Whisperlite International or Universal or something like that (the one that burns a variety of stuff). It is far from ultralight, but I greatly prefer a liquid fuel stove to a canister stove. With a canister stove, I never got to where I could tell how much fuel was in it, so if we were out for more than an overnighter, I always brought an extra canister, which was wasted weight. With a liquid fuel stove, I can measure out my fuel based on the number of boils I’ll need for the amount of food and water we’re bringing. I like that flexibility. The only thing I don’t like about the Whisperlite is that it doesn’t pack down very small, and it’s an awkward shape. I always just end up shoving it in my pack in its stuff sack, so there’s really no protection for it or anything. Knock on wood, no problems yet.

By myself, I usually use a homemade alcohol stove. I know those aren’t very popular on this forum, but I love the simplicity. I’ve seen all the charts that show how after a certain number of days the alcohol stoves actually weigh more than a canister stove because of the fuel weight and consumption, but I still prefer them because I can measure out my fuel and know exactly how much I have left, etc. I nest the whole stove with a mini Bic in a sandwich bag inside my Snowpeak pot set with a ti spork and a piece of Brillo pad. For my needs, I’ve found this to be pretty much the perfect cook kit. I’ve never had to boil snow for water or anything like that, so I know this doesn’t work for everyone, but you ought to at least give it a try.

Mosby

WKR
I use a Soto Windmaster or an MSR Reactor most of the time. I bought a Kovea Spider this year to try in colder weather. I can invert the cansister and it fits into my MSR Titan. If I was expecting weather in single digits or below, I would take a liquid fuel stove. Great sales on different stoves going on right now.

_raz_

FNG
Most often using the BCB Fire Dragon alcohol cubes & the collapsible field stove to go with them (https://www.firedragonfuel.com/). Not the fastest boil, a full canteen cup will boil in about 7 minutes (or one cup). The combo is super small, three cubes fit inside, for a real ready-to-go system. Other than that, I'll go with a wood/twig stove and just burn whatever combustible material from the woods. For that I'm currently using the Swiss military issue Volcano stove. For some reason, I haven't really bothered to go for a jetboil -type system.

_raz_

FNG
For me, Jetboil's mainly a question of weight. It functions super nice, fastest way to get your water to boil, but somehow I never got around to getting one...

I use a jet boil most of the time and have been pretty happy with it. Never had an issue. I am looking at other options because for longer trips cause the weight does add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tac83

FNG
Im happy with my jet boil. Its great for boiling water for coffee, mt house, etc. but can be difficult to do a low heat if you're trying to slow cook a piece of meat etc.

Cwfa

FNG
Primarily use the Jetboil, most backpack trips are with a buddy and weight is split up between us.

Jimss

WKR
Another option a lot of guys may not consider is not bringing a stove plus fuel at all. It obviously helps having freeze=dried warm food on long trips but for short trips heating food really isn't necessary! It's nice not having to lug extra weight/bulk plus not having to deal with the time involved with cooking and cleaning up! Obviously some guys like coffee in the morning, etc...so it may not be for everyone!

mvrk28

WKR
I use a Toaks 550 titanium pot and a BRS3000T stove which weighs like .88 oz. My entire cook system with a full 110 gram fuel can weighs just under 11 oz.

I also have a Jet Boil Flash that I use if we are camping at the truck because it boils water about twice as fast.