base layer offerings

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I’m a turkey hunter in the Midwest so I’m not climbing mountains but I have out 8-10 miles in a day before. I am looking for a base layer that is not in camo so that I can wear it beneath my flannel work shirts as well during the winter. I have been using my Army issued Gen III gear since I got them in 2006. Should I stick to polartec? There isn’t much foe offerings other than what the army gave me which is fine I guess I am just trying to see if there is something better. I have been eyeing the Patagonia capilene air crew to try but that is pricey. I have purchased one elite hunting brand product which is the Kuiu Traverse 1800 pack which is what I use when hunting. It’s great and I tend to stick with brands. I looked at their peloton 97 pants and top but they are unfortunately only offering camo right now. I hunt spring and fall in temps from high 30s to high 80s in the spring. I don’t think I need a different mid layer as I have the polartec waffle or my favorite piece of clothing is my nano puff. I would also like to use this base layer top for winter runs as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
yukonC

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
What are the thoughts on smart wool 150?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Capeline bottoms and hate them. They pull on my leg hair and make me itch. For non merino I like Odlo. In merino I have various pieces in Ibex, Black Ovis, Smartwool, Kuiu, Minus 33, and Icebreaker. All are pretty darn good. For price Black Ovis is hard to beat and has a good product.

slivver71

FNG
I'm a cheap bastard and have a ton of merino shirts and hoodies I've purchased used off ebay, poshmark, gear trade, and mercari. maybe look at these sites and see. i usually wear a merino ss or ls shirt w/ a fleece mid or outer layer, or a eVent shell (also used), depending on the weather.

Roeshaa

FNG
Bunch of different companies offering merino wool now and in many weights. can find decent prices on Meriwool on Amazon

Aaron.F

FNG
I just bought some merino wool baselqyer from MidwayUSA at a good price and was very impressed.

woods89

WKR
For what it's worth, those peloton 97 pieces are really good. The fabric is extremely warm for the weight. The zip off feature on the bottoms is genius.

I also have Black Ovis' 150 weight merino blend hoodie. It's a 50/50 blend and dries a lot quicker than 100% merino. I have been really happy with it.

I personally wouldn't own a merino piece over 150 weight, as dry times are too long. For me merino is for warm weather or extended trips where the funk would build up unacceptably. Modern synthetics dry so much faster than merino, and I hate that clammy feeling.

Just my opinion, though.