Base layer options and fit

PhlyanPan

FNG
Hey all, looking for some advice on base layers

I'm trying to build a versatile system that I can use for whitetail, turkey, and waterfowl here in NY but will also allow me to use it out west for an early season elk hunt. So far I've been picking up Sitka gear but I'm having a problem when it comes to base layers. I've tried the core lightweight in both the hoody and crew longsleeve in multiple sizes. I know a lot of people like the core lightweight but I find it ridiculously uncomfortable. It seems to ride up in the front and the tightness around the armpits is annoying. I was trying to stick to a synthetic for the moisture management properties as I do sweat quite a bit and I've had a few different people suggest staying with synthetic.

Are there other options for a base layer that I should be looking at? Anyone have similar experience with the fit on the Sitka "performance fit" gear and find a viable alternative? I was thinking maybe try the Apex since it's a "standard fit" and the jackets I have are the same and fit me well. But hot damn it is a pricey item and I'm concerned it might be too heavy for hiking in during early season elk. I'm not overly married to brands if the pricing is reasonable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

kyleds8

FNG
first lite makes v soft high quality baselayers, only downside I seem to wear through them in a season. I have some black ovis I got recently on camofire at a fraction of the price of a fl piece, certainly a little rougher texture than FL but doesn't bother me. BO fits much tighter/athletic

OP
P

PhlyanPan

FNG
Can anyone comment on the kuiu ultramarino both in terms of fit and breathability/moisture wicking?

Not sure how you can refer to FL as being "quality" and then say they get worn through in one season....as this is my experience as well, especially with the new/old merino briefs

Kuiu ultra merino is my pick (or icebreaker when on sale), but merino texture is different between people, regardless of micron level. I've worn a 145 ultra long sleeve for several years now in the mountains and whitetail woods and other than couple small pulls where I snagged it on something, it's good to go.

Fit seems a bit big, but can easily be tightened up in the wash/dryer. I'm 5'10 220 and XL is a little baggy and the sleeves long. It also stretches with use.

kyleds8

FNG
Not sure how you can refer to FL as being "quality" and then say they get worn through in one season....as this is my experience as well, especially with the new/old merino briefs

Kuiu ultra merino is my pick (or icebreaker when on sale), but merino texture is different between people, regardless of micron level. I've worn a 145 ultra long sleeve for several years now in the mountains and whitetail woods and other than couple small pulls where I snagged it on something, it's good to go.

Fit seems a bit big, but can easily be tightened up in the wash/dryer. I'm 5'10 220 and XL is a little baggy and the sleeves long. It also stretches with use.

High quality in the sense of softness, thickness, and fit, but not high quality in durability.

mattbjo

FNG
Icebreaker baselayers are tough to beat. The zip off long johns that kuiu makes are incredibly handy for backpack hunts and layering up and down without taking your boots off. I believe first lite makes them now too but I’ve never seen theirs.

RCL

WKR
Using more Black Ovis this year.
I usually wear medium, but size up to large in it.
Price is great and not as smooth as First Lite, but I like it.

henz08

FNG
I have the FL Kiln Quarter Zip (Medium), Sawtooth Hybrid Vest (Medium), and Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket (Large). Pants, Sawbuck Brush (32x32) with Kiln boot top (Medium) when on stand or sitting. That’s my system. No issues into late November in PA.

For reference, I’m 6’, 185lbs.

Yep, Black Ovis is hard to beat especially when you can get it off of Camofire. Size up. The only thing I don't like about it is it's made in China (probably most are).