Benefits of a high end action

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I’ve shot a Tikka or REM 700 in .308/.06 my entire life. I’ve taken a lot of animals with basic set ups but have gotten the itch to build something a bit longer for some of the canyon country I’ve started hunting. Beyond the ability to go with a less main stream caliber what would be the justification and/or benefits of building something with say a Defiance style action vs building off a Tikka action? Once I started pricing these out I was surprised to see I could almost buy two Tikkas for the price one action Defiance action. They sure do look sweet though.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting no benefit. If you want something more custom build off a Tikka or Bergara. The custom actions in my opinion are either if you’re trying to go ultra lightweight or shooting matches.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nothing, they are mostly just basic push feed actions. Not trying to bag on them or folks who want to buy them but they aren’t any better than any other high end production rifle out there.

People will talk about how smooth the actions are but really there are a number of smooth actions on the market these days.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For hunting no benefit. If you want something more custom build off a Tikka or Bergara. The custom actions in my opinion are either if you’re trying to go ultra lightweight or shooting matches.
Are they even that much lighter than something like a tikka action?

Sadler

WKR
I'm of the same opinion as Decker and Thinhorn. I own a Defiance and a couple tikkas and if I could do it again, I'd just stick with tikkas and spend the extra money from the Defiance on elk tags.

z987k

WKR
Are they even that much lighter than something like a tikka action?
They can be. The Defiance AnTi and the pierce Ti are both rather light.

My tikka action was right at 30oz. So, you can shave 10-15oz respectively, but if the custom action is much over 24oz, I can't see how the money is worth it.

I feel like if you're going to spend the money on one of those, you better do it all light. I makes no sense to put a heavy carbon barrel on a light action, or some 25+oz scope on it either. Or a stock over 20oz.
You're just spending a lot of money to put all that weight right back in it.

kipper09

WKR
I have to say I agree with them as well. I have a couple customs and several tikkas. The tikka action is a great action.

The real disheartening thing here is I have a couple high dollar customs and every tikka I have will shoot just as good. Not saying the customs may not feel better or look better but for the real brass tacks Of what they are for, tikkas just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
The only downside to a Tikka is cartridge length limitations. Short mags, great. Longer mags, not so great.

Many, but not every, custom stocks are not available for Takka’s.

I like the 90 degree bolt throw better in the Remington style actions. It’s just a feel thing.

There is not a single part on the Remington pattern rifle that doesn’t have aftermarket support.

The only downside to a Tikka is cartridge length limitations. Short mags, great. Longer mags, not so great.
This is the only reason. However, with my tikka 308 I changed the bolt stop and got a long action mag and now can touch the lands and still mag feed with any bullet I want. If you want a custom caliber with custom throat just rebarrel your Tikka. I like them better than my Fusion, they are so smooth I can’t even feel the rounds feed.

My Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Try building a 300 Norma or 338 Lapua on a Tikka and report back. Call your dealer and order a Tikka with an integral rail and a real recoil lug that isn't flopping around in the stock, oh wait, they don't exist. I don't have a problem with Tikka, but they simply don't offer features that some shooters want. That's where custom XXXXXXXXXX comes into play and you can build whatever you want, not what some bulk MFG offers for the masses.

fatbacks

WKR
I have tikkas and love them. I also have several defiance built rifles.

Tikka has limitations outside of cartridge length. There are real issues with putting them in a chassis. They require a specific heavy steel magazine to fit the XLR and MDT lightweight options.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hey guys, I’ve shot a Tikka or REM 700 in .308/.06 my entire life. I’ve taken a lot of animals with basic set ups but have gotten the itch to build something a bit longer for some of the canyon country I’ve started hunting. Beyond the ability to go with a less main stream caliber what would be the justification and/or benefits of building something with say a Defiance style action vs building off a Tikka action? Once I started pricing these out I was surprised to see I could almost buy two Tikkas for the price one action Defiance action. They sure do look sweet though.
To answer your question directly. Action size. A tikka is a medium action that will reasonably accept a 3.35” cartridge. Are there ways to extend that yes but at that point I’m just going to buy a an action designed for it.

Beyond that for me an action needs to function reliably. I’d have no hesitation to build off another tikka. I’d also have no reservations about building off many of the custom actions out there.

I have a defiance custom and a bunch of tikkas. Spend your time focusing on the barrel, chamber job and bullets and don’t worry so much about action as long as it’s reliable.

I think a tikka is a high end action. I don’t feel the same of bergara, savage, Remington, Christensen arms, howa, browning…The list could go on

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
The benefit is the multitude of options on a custom action. Whether or not you'll benefit from those options only you can answer.

z987k

WKR
I have tikkas and love them. I also have several defiance built rifles.

Tikka has limitations outside of cartridge length. There are real issues with putting them in a chassis. They require a specific heavy steel magazine to fit the XLR and MDT lightweight options.

That's because no one makes the magazine in plastic or aluminum, not that they require steel.