best 40 cal bullet for black bear sidearm

AZsniper

WKR
I will be hunting in Northern Arizona for the first time this fall. There are black bears and mt lions in the area and I will be carrying a 40 cal for a sidearm. I am looking at Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman hard cast and Double Tap Hunter hard cast, both 200gr. I have also heard people just use standard round nose fmj. Not looking to debate if 40 is the best round, looking for people with experience using 40 as I will be. The black bears in Arizona are not very big and I am very comfortable with that round. Any suggestions based on experience are appreciated.

Tmac

WKR
My two cents. Stick to the large flat meplat loads, the are designed and tested for straight line penetration. Most .40 fmj’s do have a smaller flat meplat. The testing I’ve seen concluded the larger meplat worked better and I question the jacket thickness of a std fmj against bone. Odds are either will work for your situation, but I get the purpose made stuff. The two loads you mention are good ones. Your .40 is plenty imo.

OP
AZsniper

AZsniper

WKR

npm352

WKR
My .40 Glock has killed 5 or 6 mountain lions over my hounds between myself and friends I hunt with. I would suggest a non-expanding round of some sort. I use FMJ but as long as it does not expand and lose energy it will do ok. It took trial and error to reach my opinion. I have shot, or been present on two lions getting shot with expandable, soft-nosed or hollow-point .40s and they simple do not penetrate and are not reliable, so I stopped using them. A bear is bigger and tougher than a lion. A .40 is not a huge, powerful weapon. And in self defense it won't be broadside, so penetration is key. Best bet for maximum penetration with a solid.

OP
AZsniper

AZsniper

WKR
My .40 Glock has killed 5 or 6 mountain lions over my hounds between myself and friends I hunt with. I would suggest a non-expanding round of some sort. I use FMJ but as long as it does not expand and lose energy it will do ok. It took trial and error to reach my opinion. I have shot, or been present on two lions getting shot with expandable, soft-nosed or hollow-point .40s and they simple do not penetrate and are not reliable, so I stopped using them. A bear is bigger and tougher than a lion. A .40 is not a huge, powerful weapon. And in self defense it won't be broadside, so penetration is key. Best bet for maximum penetration with a solid.
Good feedback npm352. Thank you