Best binoculars around 1k?

2five7

WKR
Another vote for used Swaro. I picked up a pair of 8.5x42 EL for $950 this past fall, just have to be patient and browse all the forums for deals.

SOL2

FNG
A few years back, I went with a pair of Nikon Monarch HG's. I was at a store that carried them and asked them to grab multiple pairs of other higher end binos (in the $2,500 to $3,300 dollar range) and I spent about an hour outside of the store with all of them. To my eyes, the Nikon Monarch HG's did not give up much (if anything) to the other high end Binoculars. I have been extremely happy with my decision to purchase them.:cool:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
GPO Passion HD's, Kowa Genesis, Meopta Air, & others. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you and specials that are available. Thank you

In the market for new binos and I don’t have the money for swaros or zeiss what other brands would be comparable for around 1k. Thanks for the input. I want to get either 10 power or 12s.
Kowa genesis 10.5x44 from cameraland. I would rather sit behind them than slc’s, they are the one bino that I think really performs over their price point

How they will be used most often weighs very heavily in my binocular choices. I have a good stable of quality glass and really don’t reach for the same ones all the time. The good news is today there are many quality choices in the $1k price range. You’ve already been given quite a few. Would suggest trying out as many as possible before buying. Everyone has preferences and that’s really the only way to discover yours.

Firehawk

WKR
Swaro used will be great. For new, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Maven B2 or a B1.2 in the size I was interested in. Used the B2 9x45 for years and years. Really good bino. I got a deal on some used Swaro ELs I couldn't pass up on and "upgraded". I will be honest, my Maven B2 was soooo close to my Swarovision Els. For full price, I would choose the B2 and never look back.

A good used Leica Ultravid or Ultravid HD would be another great option.

Same here. Only downside is a little more weight but I like them anyway.
They are a little heavy, but I would still pick them over slc, and I’m a big fan of swaro. My wife was using my slc’s when I got the kowas, then she got me NL and she got the kowas, and we both think they are noticeably better.

The Kowa Genesis punch way above their weight class. You probably need to be in the NL Pure class to get a noticeable upgrade from a glass quality standpoint.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I run a pair of maven B.2s that I’ve had for a couple years. Can’t say enough good things about them.

Dropped them off a tripod and they broke during season. Had them fixed and back to me within a week.

Great glass and good cs

Long Cut

WKR
I was in the same boat as you. I just bought a lightly used pair of B3 8x30’s for a great deal. Not exactly what I anticipated, but a deal is a deal and the 8x30’s are super compact for my run & gun archery hunts.

My research led me to Maven B1 9x45 for a sub $1k price range.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Zulu 6 HDX. If you haven’t tried them, go test them out. They’re pretty awesome.

I don't think there is better glass (used) for ~$800 than a Maven B2...Meopta's and Kowa are two that tend to be in the $800-$1100 range used for their premier glass lines which could be contenders.

There isn't a comparison between the rest of the names you'll typically hear for sub $1000 bins like Razor HD or Conquest or Trinovids.. If you're eye enjoys the color palette on the B glass then the brightness of the B2s will only make you see how superior these are. But assuming a standard comparison method, B2s will surely still prove superior in areas such as CA control, low light capability (but paid for in weight and structure of AK prism), glare management... I thought the ELs were disappointing vs. the B2s but some others would call me crazy.

BUT nothing matters unless the bino fits you and your face and your required eye relief...all of the stats you see go out the window when you're not comfortably behind the bino at the optimal eye relief distance.

But if you need to buy some without trying them first... I'd check eye relief specs from bins you were able to comfortably handle without any blacking on the edges or in the FOV, also get the spec for the diameter of the ocular lens, and make sure the pair you choose to buy has similar specs.

If you can somehow manage sub $1500 then you're ability to break into the alpha level of glass is enhanced and SFLs, Ultravids, Some swaros will be options...

New, Maven B1.2 if you want something more compact, B2 if you aren’t concerned so much with size.

Used, Swaro SLC but you’re going to pay a little more than the 1k, probably 1200-1350ish for a good condition used pair of the last 2 versions of the SLC.

I’ve had the B1.2 in 8x and 10x. I currently have SLC in 8x and 10x. The Mavens hold their own against the SLCs. I do prefer the SLC eye relief and slightly better edge to edge and lowlight but the B1.2 definitely punch above their weight class.

I noticed the Mavens had a truer color rendition while the swaros green/yellows pop a bit more. Either way the are both solid Binos.