Best cooler?

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the best cooler to keep things cold when hunting? I keep hearing about Yeti and ORCA any of you have used them? I have a Coleman regular cooler which only keeps ice from melting for about 24 hours which is no bueno. Would like it to keep ice from melting for at least 2 or 3 days.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
3-7 days is fairly easy with a roto-molded cooler. I have a 65 qt. Canyon Cooler that works really well that I bought used. Yeti, RTIC, Pelican et al (I'm sure even Walmart brand will do the job) should work using the below. Only trying to pass along info as you may not know this.

1) Pre cool the cooler for a day before your trip. I freeze two 1 gallon milk jugs and put them in the cooler a day or so before I leave.

2) I use block ice (usually 2 10 lb blocks) + some cubed ice. These are about $4 a block at my local QT. I finally got smart last year since we have a chest freezer and I make my own blocks using milk jugs for pennies each.

Good luck,

Eddie

Last edited:
I have a yeti 65 and honestly, I wouldn’t spend the money on another one. It doesn’t do that great and the lid is a little warped. I would buy an rtic on sale and save some cash.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
3-7 days is fairly easy with a roto-molded cooler. I have a 65 qt. Canyon Cooler that works really well that I bought used. Yeti, RTIC, Pelican et al (I'm sure even Walmart brand will do the job) should work using the below. Only trying to pass along info as you may not know this.

1) Pre cool the cooler for a day before your trip. I freeze two 1 gallon milk jugs and put them in the cooler a day or so before I leave.

2) I use block ice (usually 2 10 lb blocks) + some cubed ice. These are about $4 a block at my local QT. I finally got smart last year since we have a chest freezer and I make my own blocks using milk jugs for pennies each.

Good luck,

Eddie
Great information thank you!

Oregonboy

WKR
I have an RTIC 65 and I'm very satisfied with it. I bought one of their soft coolers too and it's just as nice,.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I have a yeti 65 and honestly, I wouldn’t spend the money on another one. It doesn’t do that great and the lid is a little warped. I would buy an rtic on sale and save some cash.

This is some of the info I needed. I wanted to find out if I should be looking at other brands. Thanks!

Brendan

WKR
Not trying to be snarky, but there's literally about a 1000 threads on this if you search, including multiple tests run by the Rokslide staff.

Brendan

WKR

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to be snarky, but there's literally about a 1000 threads on this if you search, including multiple tests run by the Rokslide staff.

Thanks for the info I did a quick search before I posted. Maybe I missed it.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

Great info!! Thanks

Vandy321

WKR
I have owned Pelican and Yeti, both do a fair job, but for 1/2 the price (and half the weight) I just bought a RTIC ultralight 52 and it's performance so far is on par. For $170 it comes with a wire basket and a divider (that is also a gel ice pack).

As mentioned, pre-cool with a bag of ice the day before the trip and any of the high end cooler brands will do.

I use the coleman coastal marine 120 qt. Prechill for 24 hours with ice, add in frozen water jugs before leaving house, wrap an old sleeping bag around it, leave in the back of car in the sun for a week, come back a week later and ice jugs are still frozen. easy and relatively cheap...and the internal volume to external volume is WAY higher than a gucci rotomold cooler.

Scrap the big expensive coolers and go for a Coleman 6 day extreme. I have a few different sizes and they have been excellent. Best wishes

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a Coleman regular cooler which only keeps ice from melting for about 24 hours which is no bueno.
Your Coleman must be broken. I have two Coleman Extreme 6 120's and they'll easily keep my frozen milk jugs at least 75% frozen for a week. I also have an expensive 200qt rotomolded marine cooler, and while it does better..........I still like the Extreme 6's. I always take the expensive one and one of the Coleman's.

Ajax2744

FNG
I have a grizzly cooler and it does a great job. Made in USA and lifetime warranty and I got it for half the price on Amazon of a comparable yeti

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
Otterbox venture is what I have been using for a few years. Lots of cool accessories and most importantly made in the USA !! I believe it’s injection molded but Iam not sure how that was suppose to be better haha. Good luck !!

I think my Orion cooler is the best but a lifetime cooler from Walmart does the job just fine also

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
The are some great cooler showdowns on YouTube. You would be amazed at some of the comparisons. I bought an oversized Colman for about 1/4 the price of others and have been extremely pleased with its performance

Jimss

WKR
As shoeshine mentioned in his post, place an old sleeping bag over your cooler will help them stay cool even longer!