"Best" kind of MRE's.........

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now I realize that "best" and MRE's really shouldn't go together in the same sentence. However, there are various manufacturers of MRE's out there so I am looking for input as to which ones you have actually tried and like.
So, which ones have you tried and liked and where can you get them??

As always, thanks.

Randy

JoshTX

WKR
Whenever I've gotten them it was off eGay. I can't remember who made them but they were identical to what I ate in the service. I think I spent $75 for two cases (A&B).

Honestly, though, there are so many better/lighter/healthier options, I don't know why anyone would want to eat that sh*t.

I agree, there are no best kind of MRE's. They are heavy, messy and don't taste very well. I would look into making your own chow, recipes and how-tos can be found on the internet or at any bookstore. For the weight of one MRE, you can feed yourself for almost three days with quality chow. Just my opinion.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I realize that there are better options--that's not what I'm asking. I am just trying to find out what others think are the most palatable kind and by what manufacturer.

Randy

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Ryan---are these that ones that have the different kinds of candy in them??

Randy

boom

WKR
living in earthquake land, i keep a couple of cases of military issued MRE's for emergencies. i've eaten a few for the giggles.

honestly, if an earthquake comes, i'll probably go straight to looting. they are awful;

OP..good luck in your search. i honestly had no clue that there were different manufacturers of the stuff.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
You are right...there is nothing "best" about MRE'S. Ryans link is to the newer ones and they are OK. They do come with the candy too. Still taste like ass but will keep you alive

Shrek

WKR
And by the time you're ready to squeeze out a charcoal bricket you will have a whole rolls worth of tp saved up ! Lol !

USMC2602

WKR
I don't know Shrek from Adam's housecat, but he's obviously eaten more than a few MRE's. Thanks for the best laugh of the day.

Stroganoff was probably the best, all were edible with enough Tabasco. I always went for the fruit cocktail and the peanut butter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They all taste like Tabasco to me! At first everyone has a favorite and knows where it is at in the box,after a month or so everyone just takes whatever because it no longer matters. Be sure to check the manufactured date before you buy some

jm1607

WKR
If you can find the actual military MREs they are probably the best.. You can't buy them as civilians though.. The only way you can get them is off craigslist or Ebay or something like that.. There are some companies that make their MREs to look like the military ones, but they aren't.. Look for the "illegal for sale" or whatever on the box..

If you can't find any IMO the Ameriqual ones are hard to beat!

Remember the shelf life isn't great on them.. Probably only a year or less.. I'm sure they're good for a while after their expiration date, probably a year or so?? Depends on climate.. Keep them in your freezer if you live in the heat

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
I've never eaten MRE's often enough or in enough quantity to develop the hate relationship that the military guys who spent a ton of time downrange seem to have for them. My brother still refers to MRE's as "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"......the couple of times I've had them I didn't think they were all that bad.

jm1607 - I have never heard that civilians couldn't buy MRE's? I used to go on training exercises with some buddies who were in Search and Rescue, and they always had big cardboard boxes of MRE's to feed everybody afterwards. The way I understood it, one of the SAR guys would go up to Lewis/McCord and buy them one base somewhere for cheap. And at gun shows there always seem to be guys hawking them from behind the piles of moldy WWII memorabilia.

littlebuf

Banned
Don't know who makes um, I always thought uncle Sam. But my dad and I would eat the corn beef hash ones with eggs on our trips when I was a kid. Man I thought that was high on the high, guess I still do.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cold weather MREs are in the white bags and are mountain house freeze-dried meals. "Hey we're getting catered chow! Who's it from? Some place called Mr E's" lol you ever get the runs eat an MRE. That'll take care of that. Spicy penne pasta isn't bad. They've come a long way in the past 20 years.

Rucker61

WKR
My ops sergeant was in the 25th ID when MREs were in development, and they were in the field testing the prototypes. MREs for every meal for 30 days, and it was an Article 15 to get caught with any food that didn't come from an MRE. I grew up on c-rats, as they sold them in the commissary and my father bought them for camping, and those weren't bad. My first MRE was a dried pork patty. We were tactical, so no lights, and man, I had no fricking idea what the hell I had just taken a bite of. Needless to say, I didn't finish it. Ironically, towards the end of my service I actually like eating a dried beef or pork patty instead of anything with spiced or tomato sauce. I think I'm the only guy in my battalion who actually like the chicken a la king.

I've eaten my share of rats fighting fire. Honestly I've never had a bad one! But I'm also about the least picky guy when it comes to eating.
I eat those cold! Save the powder and you can make an mre bomb and scare the shit out of your buddies. Ha
The one that probably was my favorite was called captain chicken! I don't think they make that one anymore.

The "veggie" ones which might sound gross tend to have some awesome sides like pound cake and skittles! Ha

hodgeman

WKR
Oh wow... I'm having flash backs to the dark old days before the JB, Starbucks VIA and Mountain House!

I honestly couldn't tell you there's any difference in any of them. They are all edible (sort of) and all taste pretty much like salty Tobasco to me.

They wreck my gut so bad I pretty much won't eat one anymore but if you're ever in the mood to really appreciate a poop... have at 'em!