best rifle cover

2-Stix

WKR
I need to pick up a rifle cover for hunting elk in eastern OR. A bit thick, snow, cold type hunt...and I wanted one to protect the action mostly, but not wild about how long they may take to deploy. I have a Tikka with a fluted bolt. Most of our shots are fast off hand.

I saw the Solo Hunter, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Caribu Gear...etc... I like the SG but it sure seams it will get pulled off in the brush and tight stuff when the rifle is on the pack.

Which ones do you all like? Should I just keep hunting with out one?

MThuntr

WKR
Most rifle covers are usually pretty loud and clumsy. Not really conducive to quick shooting.

Not sure it's the best but I have been using the Caldwell Rifle cover. Looks like and is priced similarly to the Solo Hunter. I'm cerakoted rifle with flip up scope caps and electrical tape on the muzzle kind of person.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Ya I run the same deal as far a cerakote, flip caps on my NF and tape the muzzle.

Vaultman

WKR
Hunting in E. Oregon...
If you reside in the Portland area, assuming I can find it, I have a gohunt gunslicker that you can have. (I know I saw it beginning of this season).

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Solo HNTR rifle cover is the best imo. It protects the whole rifle. I’ve been using one since 2016 and can’t say enough good about it. Simple and easy to use, light, and not bulky. I tried the Stealthy Rifle cover and sold it within a few months.

Yoder

WKR
I got one from Boca Shield. It's neoprene and it's worked out pretty well. I bought it for my Weatherby. The stock was just too pretty to destroy.

wyogoat

WKR
I use the new Kuiu one and have been happy with it. It’s simple and light. I just want to keep weather off and reduce scratching the gun when packing into the backcountry.

kodiak725

FNG
Will probably be the odd guy out but I use a Midway USA cover, it has done just fine for me in Kodiak the last 3 years and they are relatively inexpensive compared to other alternatives.

I need to pick up a rifle cover for hunting elk in eastern OR. A bit thick, snow, cold type hunt...and I wanted one to protect the action mostly, but not wild about how long they may take to deploy. I have a Tikka with a fluted bolt. Most of our shots are fast off hand.

I saw the Solo Hunter, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Caribu Gear...etc... I like the SG but it sure seams it will get pulled off in the brush and tight stuff when the rifle is on the pack.

Which ones do you all like? Should I just keep hunting with out one?
The rapid rifle cover is pretty quick, I use one when it’s damp on the coast… if it’s too wet for it, bikini covers is my next option, but obviously does nothing to protect the action

wyosam

WKR
Had no idea that was a thing. Why? Especially if anything remotely resembling a quick shot is needed? I’ve hunted in every kind of horrible weather and terrain imaginable, and the idea of covering anything other than lenses and muzzle has never crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Had no idea that was a thing. Why? Especially if anything remotely resembling a quick shot is needed? I’ve hunted in every kind of horrible weather and terrain imaginable, and the idea of covering anything other than lenses and muzzle has never crossed my mind.

After getting one, I would kind of agree.
I really only used mine in a floorless shelter at night so my rifle wasn't just laying the ground. Hasn't been on a second hunt because I haven't really seen a need.

Oregon Cascade elk hunter here. I advocate against a cover. I don’t even have a sling on my rifle. If you have a long count of 5 to get on your target before it disappears into the puckerbrush, do you really want to be futzing with a cover?

Wipe the rifle down at the end of the day. It ain’t gonna melt.

P

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
My cousin's action froze on a hunt and he couldn't cycle and missed his one opportunity. Uncle fell and packed his action with mud same result. But I totally understand the long 5 seconds we get hunting OR. I run a taped muzzle, one-flip cap on my scope, stainless steel barrels with cerakote and NF scopes, not worried about that part of it...just the action in icy snowy sleat conditions. I have a fluted bolt that collects crap a bit. More than likely I will forego a cover.

Last edited:

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
If you hunt enough in rain or snow in freezing temps you’ll eventually wish you had a rifle cover. I don’t rush my shots. If I don’t have time to get a good look at an animal before shooting it then I never had time to shoot it. To each their own.

wyosam

WKR
If you hunt enough in rain or snow in freezing temps you’ll eventually wish you had a rifle cover. I don’t rush my shots. If I don’t have time to get a good look at an animal before shooting it then I never had time to shoot it. To each their own.

Well, 38 years of hunting in those conditions and haven’t had an issue, my time must be coming. In addition to screwing with a cover prior to a planned shot at game, I’d prefer not to add a step when that rifle also might need to stop a bear. Never had that need yet either I suppose, though lots of encounters that made me glad it was readily accessible. I assume people missing shot opportunities are carrying on an empty chamber that makes the frozen action prevent them from shooting game? Those same places where the time is a potential problem, the noise is probably an even bigger one.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Well, 38 years of hunting in those conditions and haven’t had an issue, my time must be coming. In addition to screwing with a cover prior to a planned shot at game, I’d prefer not to add a step when that rifle also might need to stop a bear. Never had that need yet either I suppose, though lots of encounters that made me glad it was readily accessible. I assume people missing shot opportunities are carrying on an empty chamber that makes the frozen action prevent them from shooting game? Those same places where the time is a potential problem, the noise is probably an even bigger one.

There’s no noise to it period. I don’t have 38 years on hunting but going on 21. I carry with an empty chamber and have no issue filling my tags. I can draw my sidearm faster than having to swing my rifle off my shoulder. Like I said, to each their own. Doesn’t hurt to have and I’ll never have to wish I needed one.

wyosam

WKR
There’s no noise to it period. I don’t have 38 years on hunting but going on 21. I carry with an empty chamber and have no issue filling my tags. I can draw my sidearm faster than having to swing my rifle off my shoulder. Like I said, to each their own. Doesn’t hurt to have and I’ll never have to wish I needed one.

My rifles all make some amount of noise chambering a round, which can of course be minimized by going very slow. I’m genuinely curious now to see if I can freeze an action to a point it’s a problem. I’ve had them very thoroughly coated in thick ice, but never had it stop the action from cycling with minimal extra effort. Long winter with lots of range trips might as well see if I can make it a problem. Different types of hunting on different terrain definitely change things. I’m never slung on my shoulder in thick country, or really anywhere anymore. Gun bearer or most often in my hands.