best rifle cover

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR

Here is some testing on rifles in snow and ice by Form on the site and comments from Rokslide members. It happens, maybe not often. But in the right conditions it happens.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Well, 38 years of hunting in those conditions and haven’t had an issue, my time must be coming. In addition to screwing with a cover prior to a planned shot at game, I’d prefer not to add a step when that rifle also might need to stop a bear. Never had that need yet either I suppose, though lots of encounters that made me glad it was readily accessible. I assume people missing shot opportunities are carrying on an empty chamber that makes the frozen action prevent them from shooting game? Those same places where the time is a potential problem, the noise is probably an even bigger one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve also resisted covering up my rifle anytime there’s daylight and a tag to fill.
I was up one drainage that ran into the Greys river right before a front passed - it rained and snowed then just stayed cold. Empty chamber, but the thin ice wasn’t hardly felt as the action was cycled. Filled one tag in the morning and then had another shot a few hours later, but the firing pin had a hard time falling hard enough. The finally went off on the third try, but ignition wasn’t normal and the shot was way off - close enough to kill it, but way off.

Since then I‘ve considered a cover of some kind, but I’m like you and think the few seconds to remove it might make the difference between a shot and no shot.

The problem was ice around the bolt head making the firing pin fall sluggish. I’ve talked about it with a number of guys, but only recently been in touch with a couple of guys with the same experience. One said he replaced the firing pin spring with one slightly heavier and hasn’t been able to reproduce a frozen bolt since. The other had some good suggestions where a gunsmith thinned down the contact areas between the striker and bolt shroud, so if any ice was on that area the firing pin would have 2/3 less resistance to push it’s way through. Otherwise, most factory actions have a ridiculous amount of slop just about everywhere and icing up is rare.

Last edited:

Jackk66

FNG
I need to pick up a rifle cover for hunting elk in eastern OR. A bit thick, snow, cold type hunt...and I wanted one to protect the action mostly, but not wild about how long they may take to deploy. I have a Tikka with a fluted bolt. Most of our shots are fast off hand.

I saw the Solo Hunter, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Caribu Gear...etc... I like the SG but it sure seams it will get pulled off in the brush and tight stuff when the rifle is on the pack.

Which ones do you all like? Should I just keep hunting with out one?
I’ve hunted all over WY & Montana for all western big game except moose. From hot and sunny to -25F. All I’ve ever used are the old bikini scope covers. Keep it simple.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
I asume you didnt read through the posts...Its not for the scope its the action. We have lost opportunities from a frozen action.

There’s no noise to it period. I don’t have 38 years on hunting but going on 21. I carry with an empty chamber and have no issue filling my tags. I can draw my sidearm faster than having to swing my rifle off my shoulder. Like I said, to each their own. Doesn’t hurt to have and I’ll never have to wish I needed one.

Something tells me you ain’t hunting in Oregon.

P

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Something tells me you ain’t hunting in Oregon.

P
What does that have to do with anything? I hunt in places that can be 60 degrees one day and a foot a snow the next so….

Something tells me you don’t hunt enough or far enough from a truck to have to worry. OP asked a question and I gave him an answer. He doesn’t care how you don’t use or need one.

What does that have to do with anything? I hunt in places that can be 60 degrees one day and a foot a snow the next so….

Something tells me you don’t hunt enough or far enough from a truck to have to worry. OP asked a question and I gave him an answer. He doesn’t care how you don’t use or need one.

Easy there big fella, keep in mind that most of us in Oregon, especially the Cascades area hunters, don’t get the same opportunities as others. Success rates are 8-12%, so wasting an opportunity while fiddling with a cover could cost a hunter the only chance he gets all season. Or longer.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
OR blacktail, bear, lion and elk are all shots in seconds. You might get a little time if your off a skid road hunting a unit or burn...but its all seconds in OR for shots. There is a risk of a fronze action out east, and theres a risk dorking around with a cover...both will casue you to loose your shot.

Jackk66

FNG
I did read all of the posts. Have hunted many times in blowing snow and sleet. I hunt with a SS Tika Lite Hunter and put the little thumb do hickeys they use for counting money over the muzzle to guard against ice and snow plugs. Never chamber a round until final approach. Have never had a problem with action freezing.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went through this dilemma trying to figure out the protection vs quick shot.

If any of you guys have ideas, lemme know. My hunting doesn’t require being at the ready as much as something like thick forest in OR.

I have been thinking, maybe a scope cover with elastic and then panels that goes down each side of the rifle and connect together under the trigger guard with magnets. Would that be enough? Pull it off and the magnets would let loose.

If seconds are the difference in harvesting, it is hard to protect the action and not interfere with the shot. Protection on the two ends of the scope take time.

I run our Scoped Action Armor that wraps scope and action with tape on my muzzle.

If I need a quick shot, I flip one Scoped Action Armor pocket inside the other and run it over my scope.

I got tired of getting snow, water, pine needles, dirt and stuff in my action. And, losing bikini and neoprene covers in the brush.

7B30933C-5FAE-4126-87E4-DEAC2DF634EE.jpeg

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
I went through this dilemma trying to figure out the protection vs quick shot.

If any of you guys have ideas, lemme know. My hunting doesn’t require being at the ready as much as something like thick forest in OR.

I have been thinking, maybe a scope cover with elastic and then panels that goes down each side of the rifle and connect together under the trigger guard with magnets. Would that be enough? Pull it off and the magnets would let loose.

If seconds are the difference in harvesting, it is hard to protect the action and not interfere with the shot. Protection on the two ends of the scope take time.

I run our Scoped Action Armor that wraps scope and action with tape on my muzzle.

If I need a quick shot, I flip one Scoped Action Armor pocket inside the other and run it over my scope.

I got tired of getting snow, water, pine needles, dirt and stuff in my action. And, losing bikini and neoprene covers in the brush.

View attachment 638348
This looks like the closest route that your showing. I watched the video you posted on the other thread. I wonder if a magnet like you said or a single buckle would work faster. Another option is a pull-away rip cord type like the https://www.creativeoutdoorsmt.com/pages/rifle-sling. I really like what your providing for protection. I would hope for a faster deployment...pop a clip pull it right off. The Stone Glacier one looks good...but I think it will get pulled off without the hunter knowing. Have you tried other styles of what your doing? I think your on to it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This looks like the closest route that your showing. I watched the video you posted on the other thread. I wonder if a magnet like you said or a single buckle would work faster. Another option is a pull-away rip cord type like the https://www.creativeoutdoorsmt.com/pages/rifle-sling. I really like what your providing for protection. I would hope for a faster deployment...pop a clip pull it right off. The Stone Glacier one looks good...but I think it will get pulled off without the hunter knowing. Have you tried other styles of what your doing? I think your on to it.
To me, a buckle requires fine motor control and is a second step. It’s a poor tradeoff.

My idea is so that you rip the thing off in one action and get to shooting. Anything else doesn’t check all the boxes.

The way we make our Scope Armor, thst just goes over the scope has a pocket for the eye piece and enough over the objective so the cover won’t get pulled off without you knowing.

The flaps might get moved if only connected with a magnet, but you are dealing with tradeoffs.

I want maximum protection without any time penalty. If I can get a significant cut in the probability/possibility of getting a frozen action without interfering with the time for a shot, it’s a win.

I may try to put together something as a prototype and let you know. If you all can make it better, I am down for that. It’s really for you all that I would make it.

wyosam

WKR
I did read all of the posts. Have hunted many times in blowing snow and sleet. I hunt with a SS Tika Lite Hunter and put the little thumb do hickeys they use for counting money over the muzzle to guard against ice and snow plugs. Never chamber a round until final approach. Have never had a problem with action freezing.

If i was worried about it (and I’m not, because it’s never been a problem in nearly 40 years hunting Wyoming and Alaska), I’d spray the action down with the silicone spray that I use on my snowblower to keep the chute from clogging so easily with wet snow and cold temps.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If i was worried about it (and I’m not, because it’s never been a problem in nearly 40 years hunting Wyoming and Alaska), I’d spray the action down with the silicone spray that I use on my snowblower to keep the chute from clogging so easily with wet snow and cold temps.

Its interesting how different people have such different experiences. I don’t doubt you or the guy who got a frozen action.

I just wonder how often the rare frozen action happens and why. Or, how often a guy takes a spill in mud and it gets all over his action. Same thing comes up in the scopes losing zero, guys saying they have dropped their rifles and they have slid down a rock. I mean that’s never happened to me.

But, I know I get rain, dirt and crap in my gear at a higher rate than my “neater” friends. Again, just interesting to me.

wyosam

WKR
It is interesting- an action freezing shut certainly seems like a thing that could happen. The doors on my truck do it all the time. I’m going to do some testing this winter for my own curiosity. I’m going to apply water to a few different rifle in different ways to try to lock them up. I’d guess with enough water, they will at minimum require some force to open. On thing I’m really curious about, is with one frozen enough that it doesn’t open easily, how that changes when it’s fired. I carry with a round in the chamber most of the time, so the first shot is probably not an issue (unless of course the firing pin won’t drop).

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv seen 2 rifles frozen shut. Both tikkas, neither had a round in the chamber. They were frozen. Those guys have rifle covers now.

We need a rifle cover that dosnt hold water and become a sponge.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
It is interesting- an action freezing shut certainly seems like a thing that could happen. The doors on my truck do it all the time. I’m going to do some testing this winter for my own curiosity. I’m going to apply water to a few different rifle in different ways to try to lock them up. I’d guess with enough water, they will at minimum require some force to open. On thing I’m really curious about, is with one frozen enough that it doesn’t open easily, how that changes when it’s fired. I carry with a round in the chamber most of the time, so the first shot is probably not an issue (unless of course the firing pin won’t drop).

Look over the thread the Form did on testing in the snow, icy, etc that I linked above.