Best tents and/or sleeping bags for pack-in hunts?

BoneDok

FNG
Wondering if you guys had any suggestions for tents/bags to take on a pack-in 5 day hunt?

Finally getting my gear together for a Colorado archery hunt in September and am overwhelmed by the tent and sleeping bag choices out there.

Any suggestions for quality vs price vs weight vs packed-down size would be greatly appreciated. Also, bags rated to 20 degrees enough for that time of year?

Sorry, this is a pretty wide-open question but, again, I’m a little overwhelmed by all the choices online...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with the Alps mountaineering linx 4 , and also the jack wolfskin line of tents ...the material is quite tough .

Rob5589

WKR
Man, great ready to read, there is tons of info out there. I am doing a 3-4 day pack in this year so am acquiring the needed gear. The biggest disparity I found was the money that can be spent. Some guys run a 100 tarp, some a 800 Hilleberg. Same with bags, packs, etc. Budget will determine where you go from here.

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
Do your research on down quilts on this site. LOTS to be read. I dropped almost 2 lbs by switching to a 950 fill revelation from enlightened equipment. Worth the look for sure. I’ll never look back. I actually have a down and synthetic from them. And use either depending on the scenario.

As far as shelters go. It all depends what you’re after. Light weight? Durability? Space? Moisture management? It all comes down to your priorities.

There is SO much to be read on this site from way more experienced backcountry hunters than I. Dig in, and wrought your eyes out like the rest of us!

Another thing is with equipment..if you know where to look and have patience you can find some great deals on quality equipment, one of my favorite places is Sierra trading Post

Mosby

WKR
My $.02. A 20 degree sleeping bag will work for most conditions. I would get a good insulated pad to go with it. I would try to keep your sleeping bag around 2lbs, your tent under 3lbs and your pad under 20 oz. You can get lighter than that with quilts, bivys, tarps etc., but its a starting point and you will eliminate a lot of options on weight alone. I would also buy a pack with at least 6500-7000 cubic inches for a 5 day hunt. Something like the Exo 5500. If that doesn't work, you are taking way too much stuff.

There is a ton of information here and on YT. Keep it simple. Stick with the quality brands that are routinely discussed and reviewed here and you can't go too far wrong. There are trade offs to everything and no perfect solution. Figuring out what works for you is part of the fun.

Last edited:
Marmot never summer, Exped down 7 and Nemo hornet elite would be a nice combo. However, everyone sleeps a little different and making a decision is hard for someone else. The tarptent is a good option.

OP
BoneDok

BoneDok

FNG
Appreciate all the replies and recommendations, especially in regard to the tarptents and weight recs. The tarptents look like really solid options.

Anyone use trekking poles on hunting trips? Seems like a lot of tent options are set up for trek poles

Mosby

WKR
Appreciate all the replies and recommendations, especially in regard to the tarptents and weight recs. The tarptents look like really solid options.

Anyone use trekking poles on hunting trips? Seems like a lot of tent options are set up for trek poles

I always take poles. I use a free standing tent but trekking poles are critical for me when carrying heavy loads in and out. Helps reduce stress on my legs and knees and could prevent a fall. Benefit of tents that use poles is the reduction in weight since most carry poles regardless. I highly recommend them.

I've had good luck with the Alps mountaineering linx 4 , and also the jack wolfskin line of tents ...the material is quite tough .
Man that's rough! I have an Alps Lynx 4 tent and use it when I am llama packing but it weighs like 10 or 12 pounds so I would definitely not backpack if I had to carry myself, it would take up half my pack too.

I would go for a sub 5 lb 3 season tent at least.

Jimbob

WKR
Poles are a must, I would take them even if I didn’t pitch my shelter with them.

Floor less shelter for sure. Saves weight and I enjoy no floor. I use a golite hex2, a small tipi that can fit two.

For sleeping bags I prefer down bags. Started with a marmot then upgraded to western mountaineering. 15 or 20 degree works great.

My advice is to start backpacking right now. Just go do overnight hikes and the gear will be all worked out come hunting time.

Jimbob

WKR
58c556ffac304d782fa4e9ac9d318b08.jpg

a4293503057fa8f9df357a44adaa8007.jpg

For September in CO I use a Kifaru Supertarp, Sierra Designs 15 degree down bag, and Big Agnes insulated pad. I bring Trekking poles to save weight and my knees. There are literally tons of options out there that can work, you just have to decide what works for you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I’m hiking in and hunting out of that camp for several days, I’m taking a hilleberg. Last year I had a leaky 15 year old marmot and a marmot bag that was about that old, it was a cold wet week of sheep hunting, it suuuucked, getting back to camp and settling in was worse than the alders and rain.

This year will be different.

tlkaetz

WKR
My sleep system for most everything is the following:

Kifaru Supertarp w/ annex
Feather Friends Swallow 20 Degree
Thermarest Neoair Xlite Long/Wide
Tyvek

aion2come

WKR
Tarptents all the way. Really nice, roomy, good quality. If you aren't totally hunting with camp on your back, but simply spike camping, I'd consider getting carbon tent poles for the tents vs. Tarptent's aluminum poles. LINK

LandYacht

WKR
My system looks like this:

Seek Outside LBO. Allows me to add size as needed depending on the number of people with me. If I’m by myself I just run two bases for a 2.5 pound setup. Hunting with two and the the extension tarp goes in and we split the weight between us, so each is carrying less than 2 pounds for a 100 square foot shelter.

I run a WM Versalite for my bag. True 10 degree bag that weighs in right at 2 pounds. Has a full length zipper that you can pretend you have a quilt until it gets cold and the drafts make you wish you had a real sleeping bag.

Don’t overlook your pad. I think it’s the most important part of your sleep system honestly. I’ve been running a Thermarest Neo-Air Xlite large. It’s one pound and just warm enough and big enough. Nothing worse than having your elbows on the cold ground because your sleeping on a regular width pad.

LandYacht

WKR
Forgot the trekking poles. Once you use them you will never go without them. I don’t run around in the woods with them in my hands, they are lashed to my pack. Once I have my tarp setup they are doing tent pole duty until I’ve got a pack full of meat. That’s when they really shine, basically turning you into a 4wd pack animal.