Best value in trekking poles

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering what everyone would recommend. Not looking to spend a fortune, but my shelter also gets held up by them so I need something dependable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like optics, buy the best you can afford. I bought cheep REI sticks and they failed. I had to buy another set and the only ones available were Chinese made in the timeframe I had. I will be buying a new set of Leki poles this season, I should have bought them first...

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
If you're really on a budget, I've heard good things about the costco cascade carbon trekking poles, they're on amazon too. I've never used them though

Gutshotem

WKR
If you're really on a budget, I've heard good things about the costco cascade carbon trekking poles, they're on amazon too. I've never used them though
I bought a pair of these from Ebay because I couldn't find any at Costco. Dont have anything to compare them to but they worked great for me this past season.

Jbehredt

WKR
I got a good deal on a set of Leki Corklites at Sierra trading a while back. Like them better than my Black Diamond FLZ for 1/4 the money.

People really like the Cascade Mountain Tech. I'd budget for some good ones--Black Diamond and Leki are high quality and worth the money. I personally love the BD two piece set.

lif

WKR
Two sets of Costco two years ago. Have worked great for me for last two seasons. $30 pair approximately.

Fullfan

WKR
Went archery elk hunting last Sept for 3 weeks, recovering from a broken pelvis, broken hip, leg broken in 13 places and a total knee replacement done in May. I have more screws and rods than most hardware stores.

I took a pr of 16.00 Walmart specials last year elk hunting. I abused them every day and could never been able to hunt without them. Try them before you spend on the more expensive ones.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Went archery elk hunting last Sept for 3 weeks, recovering from a broken pelvis, broken hip, leg broken in 13 places and a total knee replacement done in May. I have more screws and rods than most hardware stores.

I took a pr of 16.00 Walmart specials last year elk hunting. I abused them every day and could never been able to hunt without them. Try them before you spend on the more expensive ones.

Were they the aluminum ones? Or carbon? I saw the aluminum ones the last time I was at Walmart and saw the carbon ones online

I can’t vouch for how well they’ll work yet, but I have a set of Cascades arriving tomorrow. For $35, I figured I can’t go wrong. If I don’t think they’re strong enough for a true backcountry hunt they’ll become my girlfriends summer hiking poles.

slowelk

WKR
I used the cascade mountain tech poles this past year in varied terrain during hunting season, and even used them snowshoeing through the winter. They withstood some awkward full-weight stabilization, and they are light. Spend your money on other gear and get these poles.

I also use the Cascade Mountain Tech poles. Costco has the carbon fiber ones with flip lock, not twist lock. I bought an extra couple pairs three days ago for $30 a pair. I highly recommend going with the flip lock version if you go with the Cascade Mountain Techs, wherever you choose to buy. I originally bought twist locks and the locks weren't holding up for me. My brother has always had the flip locks and they seem to work better in that brand.

slowelk

WKR
I also use the Cascade Mountain Tech poles. Costco has the carbon fiber ones with flip lock, not twist lock. I bought an extra couple pairs three days ago for $30 a pair. I highly recommend going with the flip lock version if you go with the Cascade Mountain Techs, wherever you choose to buy. I originally bought twist locks and the locks weren't holding up for me. My brother has always had the flip locks and they seem to work better in that brand.

Good clarification. Flip locks are the way to go.

Mt Al

WKR
Good clarification. Flip locks are the way to go.

Another vote for flip vs. twist. My Leki twist locks suck, went with the Costco flip locks and am very happy with the price. I haven't used them much but trust other's reviews.

Cascade Mountains have been awesome for me. My Costco had two displays full of them a week ago. Not sure if they are the best but they have to be at the top for best value.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I can't find the cascade mountains on Costco's website?

I’ve been looking this morning. Amazon has the carbon fiber ones with clamp locks for 19.95!

Like optics, buy the best you can afford. I bought cheep REI sticks and they failed. I had to buy another set and the only ones available were Chinese made in the timeframe I had. I will be buying a new set of Leki poles this season, I should have bought them first...

Not like optics. The Cascade poles are great for about $40.