Bigger or lighter tent

Zonk44

FNG
Just wanted to get some opinions from you experienced backcountry hunters. I am looking a several different tents the biggest factors being weight and space. This made me wonder what you would lean more towards, something a little heavier or a little bigger. To be more specific the weight difference between the options is about a lb. Also was wondering how much does height come into play for you. The lighter of the tents is only 37" tall which is right about the top of my head. Do you feel height plays a factor in your overall comfort in a tent? Appreciate the insight.

Hoghead

WKR
I like lots of room Cimarron for 2 people redcliff for 3-4 . Can split the weight some between guys. If I was going solo, I would still take the Cimarron it's lighter than most 1 person tents and good room to weight ratio.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I think so. Love the stand up height in my Kifaru Tut. Every time I start to think about “down sizing” to a slightly lighter tipi that’s only 55” or so in height I remember the pleasure of standing up to dress. It’s worth the slight weight penalty to me to use the Tut every time I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
You’re going to get more space and save a pound? You should probably do that. What are the options you’re looking at?

OP
Zonk44

Zonk44

FNG
You’re going to get more space and save a pound? You should probably do that. What are the options you’re looking at?
No it’s more space or save a lb. I am looking at the Nemo Dragonfly, Nemo Horry Elite, MSR Hubba Hubba, Big Agnes Copper Spur.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I used a big agnes fly creek one man for many years. Last year I switched to a tarp tent double rainbow which is a two man. It added 12oz, but I think is more than double the room, two vestibules, and two side entry doors. I would still take my one man on a hunt if we were kicking out beds on the side of a mountain and I needed a tiny footprint but for most trips the small weight gain has been 100% worth it.

Drenalin

WKR
No it’s more space or save a lb. I am looking at the Nemo Dragonfly, Nemo Horry Elite, MSR Hubba Hubba, Big Agnes Copper Spur.
That makes more sense. If I were going to go heavier than my tarp and bivy, I'd probably go full tilt and get that Copper Spur for the space inside and out. Or I'd look at the Gossamer Gear The Two, which is probably going to be my next tent purchase.

I prefer to tarp camp unless I expect big rain/snow or lots of bugs, which means I expect to spend some time in the tent. In general I think having some extra space to spread out gear is a good thing in those cases. I prefer a 2 person tent for solo and 3 person for 2 peeps, etc.

LFC911

WKR
I got the 2p Copper Spur for the extra space over the 1p trekking pole tent, which remind me i need to sell the latter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Being 6'6" I always prefer more space. That's why I have a Copper Spur UL3 and a UL4. I can and will use either of those solo, and the UL4 works fine for two people as well. I won't even notice the couple extra pounds, but I always notice being cramped. Having said that, I don't like their newer versions of the CS, like their HV's or so-called "classic" model. I like the original.