Bigger or lighter tent

Zonk44

FNG
Just wanted to get some opinions from you experienced backcountry hunters. I am looking a several different tents the biggest factors being weight and space. This made me wonder what you would lean more towards, something a little heavier or a little bigger. To be more specific the weight difference between the options is about a lb. Also was wondering how much does height come into play for you. The lighter of the tents is only 37" tall which is right about the top of my head. Do you feel height plays a factor in your overall comfort in a tent? Appreciate the insight.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Tents and shelters are honestly a nuisance that most guys over use. I normally just sleep on my sleeping pad with a properly rated bag. Usually carry a tyvek sheet as an emergency tarp or ground cloth. If weather calls for a shelter being needed, I’m sure as heck not going to save 1lb and sacrifice staying warm and dry at night.

Tunnel or low roof style tents suck in general for getting in and out and the end of a long day. Also trying to get dressed while slamming your head into the top of the tent can be annoying. I’ve found that tapered low roof tents also don’t always have enough room in the foot box area for my long sleeping pad. Have to sort of wedge it down in there which sucks.

In my opinion people bring tents into the back country for no real reason most of the time. They are “used” to it from camping, or backpacking, or think it’s just “what you do” in the back country. You’d be surprised once you go with no shelter how nice it is and how you really just don’t need it in most cases.

Geewhiz

WKR
Tents and shelters are honestly a nuisance that most guys over use. I normally just sleep on my sleeping pad with a properly rated bag. Usually carry a tyvek sheet as an emergency tarp or ground cloth. If weather calls for a shelter being needed, I’m sure as heck not going to save 1lb and sacrifice staying warm and dry at night.

Tunnel or low roof style tents suck in general for getting in and out and the end of a long day. Also trying to get dressed while slamming your head into the top of the tent can be annoying. I’ve found that tapered low roof tents also don’t always have enough room in the foot box area for my long sleeping pad. Have to sort of wedge it down in there which sucks.

In my opinion people bring tents into the back country for no real reason most of the time. They are “used” to it from camping, or backpacking, or think it’s just “what you do” in the back country. You’d be surprised once you go with no shelter how nice it is and how you really just don’t need it in most cases.
Does it never precipitate where you live? I’ve gotten hosed more than once by rain trying to sneak by without a shelter.

BDRam16

WKR

I think this is a pretty horrible answer to be honest. It takes YEARS of backcountry experience to be comfortable and have the experience to safely “cowboy” camp miles away from civilization for days on end. If the guy is asking this question, he probably doesn’t have much backcountry experience. Telling him to trot off into the mountains with nothing but a pad and a bag is quite possibly the worst advice I’ve ever heard.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think this is a pretty horrible answer to be honest. It takes YEARS of backcountry experience to be comfortable and have the experience to safely “cowboy” camp miles away from civilization for days on end. If the guy is asking this question, he probably doesn’t have much backcountry experience. Telling him to trot off into the mountains with nothing but a pad and a bag is quite possibly the worst advice I’ve ever heard.
Really depends on location and weather in my opinion. I was 5 years old when I did my first backpacking trip and 8 years old when I did my first “shelterless” trip in the sierras. Granted, I had help from my dad and uncles with decades of experience. I learned quickly that if an overnight or afternoon thunderstorm rolled in you threw up a tarp and dealt with it.

I’ve since converted dozens of backpackers and hunters who used to always carry a shelter, most of whom now almost never do.

I agree with your statement in general that they need to spend some time getting comfortable out there before going “miles back”. Spend some one nighters out there camping near your truck and try it out. You’ll be just fine I promise.

I would say it's dependent on the type of hunt. Are you going 3-4 miles into the wilderness and setting up camp? or are you going 12+ miles into the backcountry? Size and weight are ALWAYS important, but in certain scenarios they become critical.

I've never been in a situation where I wished I had carried more weight (or brought more stuff. Obviously always have the essentials with you). But I have been in situation where I wished I was carrying less "stuff". You can make due with a smaller tent, but a heavy tent makes certain trips a non starter.

parshal

WKR
If you're gonna be in the shelter for more than a few nights I'd choose height over everything else. Being able to stand up makes it much more comfortable when putting on a jacket and moving around. I'll never again use a low height tent unless it's a one night deal. I'll take the weight penalty every time.

Look at floorless tipis or tarps. Super light, can use trekking poles, or paracord over a tree branch and they are typically pretty roomy. I can almost stand up in mine (6' peak, but 10' x 10' base and less than 3lbs without a pole. Easy to set up too. I don't dislike cowboy camping and have done it many times, but like having something to knock the rain down if needed.

Gone4Days

WKR
get the best of both world…. weight and space. Zpacks Duplex. Tons of room, weighs 18 ounces and packs down to the size of 1/2 gallon of milk. Peak height is 48”. Not cheap though!

Seeknelk

WKR
I'd also say a tarp IS a shelter. I'd also agree that you can often leave it in your pack if you know the forecast. Im the guy setting it up on a clear night tho😁 Tarp ,pad and quilt works in earlier seasons for me. Have some annoying winds n stuff sometimes. I'm just soft tho

PlanoDano

FNG
I carry tarp, pad and quilt most of the time. I have a couple of BP tents that I will use for certain conditions - SMD deschutes and tt stratospire. Don't go with tarp without practice. Once you get a system of tarp, guys and stakes and practice a few different sets you will be good but it takes practice just to know number and lengths. I like a tarp with extra tie outs. I usually use ymg 8.5X8.5 but there are other good tarps.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to get some opinions from you experienced backcountry hunters. I am looking a several different tents the biggest factors being weight and space. This made me wonder what you would lean more towards, something a little heavier or a little bigger. To be more specific the weight difference between the options is about a lb. Also was wondering how much does height come into play for you. The lighter of the tents is only 37" tall which is right about the top of my head. Do you feel height plays a factor in your overall comfort in a tent? Appreciate the insight.
Location location... location? If You're in a location that affords weather that's predictable and You know before hand that in most instances You won't spend a lot of time in the tent maybe lighter is the way to go? Where I am now it can go from gorgeous in the five day to oh look we spelled tropical storm wrong which puts You, your gear,your cooking, your dogs, your boots, your clothes line everything inside that shelter for a week vacation time is locked in rain or shine ride or die might want to go bigger.

This all depends on where you are hunting, elevation you are at, time of year etc. There is not a one size fits all.

To answer most of your question, I dont mind low height or no tent at all if I am only sleeping in it and using it for minimal rain protection in the event of a light storm in overall good weather(think the southwest).

If I am hunting later seasons, colder weather and may have to sit out a big storm with lots of wind rain or snow, i would lean towards the heavier bigger tent which will be more comfortable if you have to spend an extended time in it.

What hunts are you using the tent for?

Here are 3 basic things you need to decide before you get any further:

1) Can you pull off a tarp/floorless shelter. You need the proper skills and/or low chances of life threatening / insane weather for a tarp to be a feasible option.
2) If not you’re looking at a tent. Do you need it to be Freestanding? Non free standing tents will be lighter but require more skill and/or thought put into where you pitch it.
3) What’s your budget, and how many people need to fit in the tent?

The easy solution is to add one to the max number of people that you want to sleep in your tent, and get the closest thing to a Big Agnes Copper Spur that you can afford. Personally, comfort comes before weight for me (within reason). My most used tent is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3, and I sleep in it solo.