Blacktail in Southern Oregon

I am new to the Oregon blacktail hunting world and can’t find much information about it on the web specifically in southern Oregon. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in the Kalmiopsis wilderness or Soda mountain wilderness (Northern Siskiyou Mountains)? I am not looking for specific spots but just if these wilderness areas hold deer.
Thanks in Advance

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious if others have a different perspective. I live in grants pass so middle of souther Oregon for deer and hunt chetco applegate and Evans creek. From my experience I find that the highest deer populations are on the smaller pieces of public in the valleys and less on the huge tracts of national Forest. I also think I know how to hunt the smaller pieces a lot better but am going to give the bigger national forests a try this year for archery probably applegate. Following

slick

WKR
Check your PMs and give me an jingle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FI460

FNG
Decent deer just about everywhere, but everything on the Rogue side is thick.

I lived in Rogue River for about 5 years, good deer hunting in most directions I went. I spent part of my time up Evans creek and spent a lot of time up outside of Trail running around as well. Both areas proved to hold really good bucks!!! A good friend of mine still lives in Central Point and sends me pictures of bucks out in the Applegate area that are huge!!

InDeep

WKR
I travel down from Springfield and hunted that exact area last year brother . I have hunted quite few other areas down there over the past decade. And can say with effort its great hunting, we always look forward to hunting it every year and always see or kill some monsters .

La43!

FNG
I am planning on hunting in the Kalmiopsis wilderness area in 2022 I am from Out of state and I am scouting with google earth and onX hunt I was just wondering if Chetco river area holds good deer numbers or if I’m on the wrong track I have not hunted black tail deer but from what I have read it sounds a lot like hunting Coues deer in the south lots of glassing I can handle that I spend a lot of time in the glass and I am willing to hike to get away from the pressure of other hunters I just need to know if I am wasting time looking at that area

slick

WKR
I use tapatalk and it’s just a tab on the bottom.

I think if you’re on a web browser it’s on the right side of the screen 1/3 of the way down if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure about the north side, but the California side of the soda mountain wilderness is a late season muzzleloader hunt, so there should be some deer around.

I lived in gold hill area for a while and have a friend that still does I go down there to hunt with him as much as I can .we always see something and have a great time . Good luck out there

Oregonboy

WKR
I live in Ashland, which is as south as it gets. PM me if have specific questions about the Soda Mountain Wilderness, I'll do my best to help!

I live in Ashland, which is as south as it gets. PM me if have specific questions about the Soda Mountain Wilderness, I'll do my best to help!
I signed up to see if I could pick your brain a little, if you dont mind. I'm not able to send a pm yet. Im first year deer hunting on the south side of mt Ashland this afternoon to tomorrow. Should i scoot more towards soda mt?

FI460

FNG
I signed up to see if I could pick your brain a little, if you dont mind. I'm not able to send a pm yet. Im first year deer hunting on the south side of mt Ashland this afternoon to tomorrow. Should i scoot more towards soda mt?

Lots of deer on that side too.

FNG
I am planning on hunting in the Kalmiopsis wilderness area in 2022 I am from Out of state and I am scouting with google earth and onX hunt I was just wondering if Chetco river area holds good deer numbers or if I’m on the wrong track I have not hunted black tail deer but from what I have read it sounds a lot like hunting Coues deer in the south lots of glassing I can handle that I spend a lot of time in the glass and I am willing to hike to get away from the pressure of other hunters I just need to know if I am wasting time looking at that area
I live nearby and frequent the kalmiopsis wilderness, I've got some local knowledge of the area you'll want to know before coming from out of state. I'm new to this forum but PM me if you're interested

How did any of you do for rifle this year? I went out a ton in the tiller/Butte falls areas and saw 14 does and not a single buck. I'm 40 and just learning to hunt but have consistently struck out since moving to OR from AK 11 years ago. I keep hearing the soda mtn area is good but it's a bit overwhelming on where to even start down there..

La43!

FNG
How did any of you do for rifle this year? I went out a ton in the tiller/Butte falls areas and saw 14 does and not a single buck. I'm 40 and just learning to hunt but have consistently struck out since moving to OR from AK 11 years ago. I keep hearing the soda mtn area is good but it's a bit overwhelming on where to even start down there..
I had to cancel my plans of going to Oregon this year do too unexpectedly drawing a coues deer tag in AZ hoping to go next year