Boise

My wife and I were discussing moving back out west and have touched on Boise but then we always ask if it’s a good area because of the people fleeing komifornia. So, my question is have those people fleeing the west coast ruined the Boise area? Obviously we wouldn’t live in Boise but within an hour of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
When is the last time you were there? are you thinking of moving there because of work?
Boise is not the nice little city it was even 5yrs ago,houses are getting pretty expensive too. The only reason I'd live in Boise is if I came from a big city and I already had a good job lined up.
IMHO there are a lot of other great places to live in Idaho but finding a good paying job if you're not a professional with a degree might prove to be difficult once out of the Boise area.

Broomd

WKR
To answer your question, yes. It is rapidly becoming ruined. And the funny thing is, to Kali folks the traffic, humanity and madness there are wonderful. That's how screwed up they are.

We've trekked to Boise every Summer on business for the last decade (including this last July) and won't go again. We loathe the place now.... no way.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I was born and raised in the Boise area back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Moved back to Meridian in the 80's. Then moved to UT. I travel back to Boise for work every 6 weeks or so. Relatives still live in Meridian and Nampa. It has become a madhouse. I would love to move back and can with my job. Maybe move to Emmett area. But not Boise Proper or Meridian. Even Kuna has traffic......Traffic is crazy. And yes, lots a California transplants trying to turn ID into CA.

It is pretty sad from what it used to be to what you see now. I drove back from Lewiston to Boise last week on Thursday. Almost bumper to bumper traffic from New Meadows all the way to Boise.

Lived in and around that town for 20 years...never again. The entire Treasure Valley has lost it's collective mind. Still plenty of beauty and peace within a couple hours of there...for now...

kiddogy

WKR
boise and surrounding area is growing faster then the municiples can keep up with. yes it a madhouse compare to 10 years ago. but the Californian doctrine has not overtaken things yet.

cities grow , or they die . and locals hate change. it's that simple.

however if you are looking to move to IDAHO avoid adams and blaine county both have been overtaken with the bikini spandex male bikers of California.

OP
rooster440
When is the last time you were there? are you thinking of moving there because of work?
Boise is not the nice little city it was even 5yrs ago,houses are getting pretty expensive too. The only reason I'd live in Boise is if I came from a big city and I already had a good job lined up.
IMHO there are a lot of other great places to live in Idaho but finding a good paying job if you're not a professional with a degree might prove to be difficult once out of the Boise area.

It’s been close to 8 years since I was there last, my wife can transfer there no problem with her job, I typically work on the road.
I was in Seattle last week and met a gal from CDA and she says it’s overran with CA transplants and she’s looking to move back to MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boise is a shell of what it once was. It’s incredibly disappointing. The traffic, congestion, friendliness, politics, all going in the crapper.

There’s a couple nice parts of town if you’ve got big bucks. Otherwise, you’re in traffic hell and deep suburbia.

I’d definitely look elsewhere if I didn’t have long-standing ties to the area.

ODB

WKR
This is a depressing thread... I moved to Boise in 1999, an$ again in 2003. My daughter was born there... had to move away for work/ school ...sad to hear so much negative stuff about a place I really love...

This is a depressing thread... I moved to Boise in 1999, an$ again in 2003. My daughter was born there... had to move away for work/ school ...sad to hear so much negative stuff about a place I really love...
Same here...I remember when Eagle Rd. was a two-lane through farmland...went back last year and it's unbroken asphalt, strip malls, fast food, and subdivisions as far as the eye can see, in every direction....and yeah Couer d' Alene area is in the same boat, but I was happy to see most of the rest of the state seems pretty much the same...drove up I-5 through western Washington too, OMG...it's like 10 times as bad there...

snopro176

WKR
So as someone who's only ever lived in north CA, we traveled to boise for the BHA rendezvous in May. It was my first time ever "staying" in idaho, not just traveling through, and I thought it was great. The traffic wasnt shit compared to what I'm used to. Everyone was noticeably nicer and we didnt see a single bum or homeless person, at least in our travels. It felt like how I remember my town being when I was a kid 20 years ago or so. I'm sure it was nicer way back when but what wasnt? I'm curious though to know how CA transplants are ruining it? Just population wise? I'm pretty sure it's not the liberals moving in, rather its the conservatives that cant fight the big cities anymore. I would imagine everyone who comes out is of a similar mindset?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Getting bad.
Traffic is horrendous just compared to three years ago even.
I’d be looking at Wyoming

Gobbler36

WKR
So as someone who's only ever lived in north CA, we traveled to boise for the BHA rendezvous in May. It was my first time ever "staying" in idaho, not just traveling through, and I thought it was great. The traffic wasnt shit compared to what I'm used to. Everyone was noticeably nicer and we didnt see a single bum or homeless person, at least in our travels. It felt like how I remember my town being when I was a kid 20 years ago or so. I'm sure it was nicer way back when but what wasnt? I'm curious though to know how CA transplants are ruining it? Just population wise? I'm pretty sure it's not the liberals moving in, rather its the conservatives that cant fight the big cities anymore. I would imagine everyone who comes out is of a similar mindset?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Traffic and no I’d say 60/40 liberals to conservatives. Just go to the dmv and you get a real taste of who is moving in.... it doesn’t look good lots of refugees and nose rings and beanie in the summer time crowds. Sure at a BHA rendezvous everything is going to look euphoric

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't grow up here, but been here 13 years after coming here with the military. The city itself is great, not to mention foothills access, nearby whitewater, hunting/fishing, skiing, etc. But...the huge growth and influx from other states has been painful to witness. House prices driven way up, traffic, crime, etc. I am considering a move as well.

I wouldn't move there or other places in Idaho specifically on the interstate corridors. Lots of places as previously mentioned are seeing a very large cost of living increase. Traffic sucks and in the experiences I have had, the transplants act different down there and up in CDA/Kootenai County compared to other parts of Idaho. Nothing good comes from Californians or others from the west coast that bring liberal point of views with them.

Now I came from Eastern Washington to further my career in Natural Resources so what I see comes from a fellow conservative transplant point of view and from someone living in one of the areas where lots of people still make less than $50k per year.

kiddogy

WKR
Boise is a shell of what it once was. It’s incredibly disappointing. The traffic, congestion, friendliness, politics, all going in the crapper.

There’s a couple nice parts of town if you’ve got big bucks. Otherwise, you’re in traffic hell and deep suburbia.

I’d definitely look elsewhere if I didn’t have long-standing ties to the area.
every city in the nation is a shell of what it once was. that is progress.

cities grow or they die.OR they become Detroit ! no one wants that!😁

as far as cities go , boise is better then most. but it is a city and cities suck.

every city in the nation is a shell of what it once was. that is progress.

cities grow or they die.OR they become Detroit ! no one wants that!😁

as far as cities go , boise is better then most. but it is a city and cities suck.

Generally true that most cities have a growth trajectory. Boise has seen some of the most rapid growth in the country. It’s been out of control. Many other cities have experienced far less.

ODB

WKR
Generally true that most cities have a growth trajectory. Boise has seen some of the most rapid growth in the country. It’s been out of control. Many other cities have experienced far less.

Ada county I’m sure is loving the boost in taxes, but where are all the jobs to support the 400k houses?? I remember in 2003 hearing about out of towners coming to town, being driven around in vans and just saying, “I’ll take it, I’ll take it....” and then putting the house on the rental market to take advantage of the bubble. When it burst, the short sales were unbelievable. It’s deja-vu all over again.