Brand new GSP owner suggestions

Gobbler36

WKR
Hey all,
I am a brand new owner to a female GSP
Not new to training house dogs but still pretty novice at training dogs and this is going to be my first bird dog that I’m going to train.
I am looking for videos/reading material to help me train her, I understand there are tons of methods out there. My father in law suggested Gun Dog by Richard Wolters which is what he used to train his dogs, but i was wondering if there was any others just because how old it seems?
Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• 82D8B59D-18AD-4A32-AFCF-7C872605D1C3.jpeg
    82D8B59D-18AD-4A32-AFCF-7C872605D1C3.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 41

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
The German Shorthaired Pointer by David Gowdey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
Tom Dokken has a great variety of books, DVDs, and other info on training dogs and makes really good training dummies to learn to retrieve and handle the birds that can also be injected with some scent of whatever you're practicing with so they know what smell to search for when the bird is downed. I know several guys who have used his training materials and tools to train their dogs and they can do some good work. Plus he is about an hour away from me, so gotta shoutout the local businesses! Currently on a waiting list for chocolate lab puppies from a litter of his that will be trained by him also. Hope this helps!

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a link to a lot of his training stuff too

codym

WKR
Perfect start perfect finish, I have used a bunch of methods and mostly run the dogs through a hi bred whoa post, barrel deal. Find someone that knows bird dogs and has birds to help you, unless you live in a place with an abundance of wild bird but then you still need someone to help you. Training bird dogs is a science and an art, no replacement for experience. Sadly most people mess up a few before they get it figured out.

Forks

FNG
Congrats!! I have found patience to be paramount. Like mentioned above, there is no substitute for wild exposure. They figure it out quick after seeing a bunch if the gunner doesn't shoot the busted ones. Develop your partnership and the rest will come. I guess you have to ask yourself what you really want and expect out of the dog and go from there. Just be sure to enjoy the process.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Congrats!! I have found patience to be paramount. Like mentioned above, there is no substitute for wild exposure. They figure it out quick after seeing a bunch if the gunner doesn't shoot the busted ones. Develop your partnership and the rest will come. I guess you have to ask yourself what you really want and expect out of the dog and go from there. Just be sure to enjoy the process.
Absolutely
I want a good obedient family dog, and a badass chuckar hunter lol Along with every other GSP
I do have quite a few Huns and quail close to where I live but I just need some guidance on training as it’s my first one
So far all I’ve been doing is basic house breaking as I’ve only had her for two days

I liked Wolters, have a much dog eared copy. At 63 I’m about done guiding bird hunts, not sure how many more GSP pups are in my future. I’m envious. It is easy to screw a dog up, you might think about getting some time with pro, hell I still like getting feedback from real trainers. One of my favorite clients is a professional hunt test and field trial judge. We hunt our dogs together in the fall down south she brings her family to AK to fish. Always helps me resolve issues, or at least points out how unorthodox my dogs are.
Personally I think bonding with your dog is the most critical factor. With good control and trust the rest is easy.
I’m heading south in three weeks, I’ll be on the snake hunting chukar on opening day. Perhaps we’ll find a covey together sometime.

Forks

FNG
Absolutely
I want a good obedient family dog, and a badass chuckar hunter lol Along with every other GSP
I do have quite a few Huns and quail close to where I live but I just need some guidance on training as it’s my first one
So far all I’ve been doing is basic house breaking as I’ve only had her for two days
Your huns and quail will be the prefect training aids. I've found it's a little tougher for a young dog to get the joke on covey birds due to more numbers=more movement and a lot of the time with Chuks the dog can see the bird which adds even more pressure on them. I just really try to keep my mouth shut and let the bird train the dog and with todays technology in transmitters/collars, training/hunting silent is easy. The most common thing for inexperienced handlers to do is shooting at birds that are not pointed/held due to they want a bird in the bag which turns your pointer into a flusher in no time. Build your foundation at home and try to always end a session (keep them short) on a positive.

codym

WKR
What state are you in? Wild birds are awesome and irreplaceable but the right time and place for a good homing pigeon and a launcher is pretty helpful too. First year teach to come when called and go to the front, do say much unless they are chasing game or behind you. Do not shoot any birds he doesn’t handle properly, let him bust away. Next year take the chase away and steady the dog.

Tbashaw

FNG
The best advice i could give you would be try to find a dog training club in your area. Navhda is is also a great source

work765

WKR
Perfect start perfect finish, I have used a bunch of methods and mostly run the dogs through a hi bred whoa post, barrel deal. Find someone that knows bird dogs and has birds to help you, unless you live in a place with an abundance of wild bird but then you still need someone to help you. Training bird dogs is a science and an art, no replacement for experience. Sadly most people mess up a few before they get it figured out.

Get this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Partagas

FNG
Steady with style is a good book and has a Facebook page with the owner offering help. Many other resources as well. Check out gun dog supply and as well as. Gun dog forum and ultimate pheasant forum.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
What state are you in? Wild birds are awesome and irreplaceable but the right time and place for a good homing pigeon and a launcher is pretty helpful too. First year teach to come when called and go to the front, do say much unless they are chasing game or behind you. Do not shoot any birds he doesn’t handle properly, let him bust away. Next year take the chase away and steady the dog.
Im in Idaho

codym

WKR
I have a couple friends up in Idaho that a good dog men and field trailers, I’m sure they could help you out. Ones in Idaho falls and another is in Twin. There both gsp guys and field trialers and know good dogs. You live in heaven, I hunted up there for the first time last year and was pretty special.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
I have a couple friends up in Idaho that a good dog men and field trailers, I’m sure they could help you out. Ones in Idaho falls and another is in Twin. There both gsp guys and field trialers and know good dogs. You live in heaven, I hunted up there for the first time last year and was pretty special.
That’d be great if you could point me in their direction.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Congrats on a new pup. I got my first GSP 3 months ago at 4mo old. He's been a handful, and I've been working on basic commands - come, heel, whoa, sit, etc.

I plan to do some training with a dokken grouse soon when I find the time...see how that goes.