Budget Elk Pack

TheNorris

FNG
What’s the current consensus on the best option for a budget Elk pack? Doing a 3rd season Colorado elk hunt. This will be my first western hunt, I’m from GA and mostly do tree stand whitetail and turkey hunting. We plan to have a base camp but want the ability to go deep for 2 or 3 days at a time and of course carry out if we are successful. Looking at the options I’d obviously go Mystery Ranch or compatible if money wasn’t an option. But I’m looking to keep it around $200 or so, cheaper the better. Thoughts?

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
Worth checking out the classifieds here to see if you can nab a SG, Kifaru, etc. etc.

I took a quick look at eBay and there are some used Eberlestock bags in the price range you described above. See --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/154574960437?hash=item23fd62b735:g:MlwAAOSwdIJhHYs8

Something to consider.
Going to keep an eye on the classifieds for sure. I saw that Eberlestock M5 you liked to earlier. I am keeping an eye on it. Is that a decent deal for that bag used in the shape it’s in?

Used Mystery Ranch frames occasionally pop up for sale around $150-200. You could turn that into a poorboy camp/meat hauler with a set of accessory straps or a "backstrap" plus a dry bag to contain your camping gear. You could buy a MR bag only later on if you wanted to make a complete pack. A high quality frame is worth a lot if you do end up hauling meat out.

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
Used Mystery Ranch frames occasionally pop up for sale around $150-200. You could turn that into a poorboy camp/meat hauler with a set of accessory straps or a "backstrap" plus a dry bag to contain your camping gear. You could buy a MR bag only later on if you wanted to make a complete pack. A high quality frame is worth a lot if you do end up hauling meat out.
I thought about going this route, poorboy meat hauler + dry bag. I didn’t realize that Mystery Ranch sold just frames, I didn’t see any frame only options on the website. Thanks for the input.

I didn’t realize that Mystery Ranch sold just frames, I didn’t see any frame only options on the website.
They don't (which is a mistake that's costing them some market share IMO); you would have to find one in the secondhand market. The classifieds here and the Facebook group called "Mystery Ranch Interest and Sales" would be good places to check for a frame only.

I have a pack that I bought as my first backcountry pack off Amazon for $80. Actually a pretty decent pack for the price. I had 36 lbs in it and it was pretty comfortable. I wouldn’t be afraid to take it on a multi day hunt.

I’d sell it if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
I have a pack that I bought as my first backcountry pack off Amazon for $80. Actually a pretty decent pack for the price. I had 36 lbs in it and it was pretty comfortable. I wouldn’t be afraid to take it on a multi day hunt.

I’d sell it if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send me a PM with the details. I might be interested. Thanks

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
Horn hunter Full Curl gets my vote. Look around and you can get them for under $300. I packed a few elk with one, it is heavy but legit!
Looks like a valid option I haven’t seen yet. Must be sturdy with that weight of 9.2 lbs. I’ll read some reviews on it. Thanks

TBHasler

WKR
Kidding aside, the full curl system is a solid complete system you can find at around your price point (sale or used). You’ll get suggestions to spend more than you want here (maybe more than you need), but a pack system with frame and bag from the most popular are going to run $300+ for a good used deal.
not saying they aren’t worth the investment but if you want to stay around $200, the full curl is a great option.

TBHasler

WKR
Also, just remembered name of my first pack - check out slumberjack packs. Some with frames/bags and some with internal frames - $150-$300 range. Not as comfy as higher priced options and I preferred the full curl, but this is another sound option that is closer to $200 new and lower than that on used market

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
Also, just remembered name of my first pack - check out slumberjack packs. Some with frames/bags and some with internal frames - $150-$300 range. Not as comfy as higher priced options and I preferred the full curl, but this is another sound option that is closer to $200 new and lower than that on used market
The Slumberjack deadfall 65 looks like a good deal at sub $200. Decent reviews also. Thanks for mentioning that one.

Surplus ILBE or MR frame and dry bag.

Under $200, you’re probably not getting a real meat shelf or something that is very adjustable. At least an ILBE will for sure hold up to anything your knees can carry.

2ski

WKR
Surplus ILBE or MR frame and dry bag.

Under $200, you’re probably not getting a real meat shelf or something that is very adjustable. At least an ILBE will for sure hold up to anything your knees can carry.
I've never used the ILBE but was holding one in a pawn shop once. It looked like a good option.

I've never used the ILBE but was holding one in a pawn shop once. It looked like a good option.
They take some adjusting, and they are far from perfect. But, they’ll comfortably carry 35 pounds of gear. A pack out won’t be fun, but 98% of new hunters won’t get the chance to do that anyway.

They have enough straps to attach bows, guns, or whatever. You dan ditch the divider, radio pouch, rubber zipper pulls, and lid and lighten them by about 2 pounds. If you cut off the hypalon (spelling) and mortar sleeves, you can get another half pound or so off of them, and end up with a ~6lb heavy duty pack.

BDRam16

WKR
I've seen a couple Alps Commander X bags pop up on fb for around $200. I haven't used it but it has good reviews. Honestly though at $200, I would do everything possible to scrape up another $100 and get into a used Mystery Ranch. You can find Metcalfs at that price point pretty commonly and it's absolutely a night and day difference between a bottom end back and that. Even if you use it once and sell it back off it won't depreciate much if at all with the way the current supply chain for new goods is going.