Budget pack question?

desertcj

WKR
I used an ILBE last season and plan to use it this year as well. Overall, I like it. It's tough, fairly comfortable and the price is right! Mine still has a lot more straps on it then I ever use and I'm probably going to trim it up some now that I've used it a bit. My favorite features are the "source" water bladder integration, the radio pouch that clips into the top/inside of the bag and the assualt pack that piggy backs onto the back of the main bag. The water bladder integration is straight forward. It's a pouch that holds the water bladder on the outside of the bag. The assault pack also has a spot for the water bladder on the inside, it's only a slight annoyance pulling the bladder off of the main pack and putting it in the assault pack or "Day pack". I use the radio pouch to put my food in. It keeps it right on top so I don't have to dig through my pack for a snack. The assault pack is cool, because I can load it with stuff like my first aid kit, kill kit, bow repair kit, GPS, head lamp, etc. Basically anything that doesn't have to do with my sleep system/shelter, spare clothes food and cook system. I will take a few snacks in the assault pack though. This let's me get to where I want to camp and I can quickly unhook the day pack and continue on without having to setup camp and repack. I've never used the side zippers in the main bag. I suppose they might be nice, but if you pack the bag right you shouldn't need the stuff on the bottom untill you are setting up camp.

2ski

WKR
I just searched up this thread because of the ILBE's. I had a guy just ask me to look them up to let him know what I thought about them. He doesn't need a new pack and he doesn't hunt, but he's temped by the price he can get them off of ebay. I saw one in a second hand store a few months ago and thought it looked like a decent pack, a little heavy, but it had no label as to what it was. Now that I've looked them up online and see that's what I was looking at, I'm thinking it might be a decent option for my brother. He just got a dog and is going to be doing a lot more hiking in the summer, and I'd like to get him a pack that can do a little packing for hunting season as well. One thing I don't remember, how adjustable is it? He's probably at least 6 inches shorter than me so any pack that fits me, isn't going to fit him that great.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
The older models aren't adjustable, I never used the newer ones though, I lugged around one in 2008 and it carried loads fairly easy, the Marines aren't very conscious of the whole light weight movement, I'm willing to bet that I had 60-70# worth of crap in mine in Iraq. Frame never broke on me. If I didn't have a Gregory pack I'd buy one.

16Bore

WKR
Crap, posted on the wrong thread.

Astralplane, Teraplane, Alpine.

Even the post K2 stuff is good.

16Bore

WKR
Dana Gleason is the Mystery Ranch dude now and it appears the Terraplane is coming back. I've got one of the post K2 "Redirects" and its tough as nails. Its a shade over 5 1/2#. These packs were high dollar back in the day. Don't know many 20 year old packs that are around and bringing pretty good value.

Ruskin

WKR
I sold my 1998 astraplane for $400 last year. It was in great condition. Just a data point.

16Bore

WKR
Bingo.......

7k CI bag you could carry a car in. Price is what you pay, value is what you get!