Budget rifle scope for beginner

Terrapin

WKR
It’s amazing that people ever killed anything before these amazing SWFA scopes came along. Lol.

Seriously though, Lots if people don’t need a scope with dials and a milling reticle. Why take the weight and the bulk of you don’t plan to dial all the time?

I agree. He’s just building a hunting rifle. Plain old duplex reticle 3-9 from a reputable scope company should be just fine. Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Nikon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold VX-1 all day. Best scopes in that price range for a number of reasons IMO, and I've used a bunch in the $200 range.

My favorite current "budget" scope (if you want to call it that - I grew up thinking Tasco and Simmons were budget scopes however) is a Leupold American Marksman that was sold by Cabelas and Bass Pro for a while. Got it on sale for $159 and it has an outstanding ballistic reticle and is very bright and clear. You should have no problems finding a very good scope for $200 these days. The quality has gotten so much better in the past 20 years in that price range.
+++ to that comment - You might even find a good VX2 for that on ebay - and don't worry about internals, Leupold's LIFETIME warranty is as good as the best in any industry

It’s amazing that people ever killed anything before these amazing SWFA scopes came along. Lol.

Seriously though, Lots if people don’t need a scope with dials and a milling reticle. Why take the weight and the bulk of you don’t plan to dial all the time?
kind of a good point ! I don't dial and most likely never will - I see and hear people run down Leupold because they've had their problems with "dialer scopes" but I'll take a VX3 or even a VX2 for any and all (I walk the talk btw) for instinctive or hold over shooting/hunting any day on any hunt (and have for all my 55+ years of hunting) and NEVER EVER had a single problem even in AK, B.C., AB and all over Rocky Mountain states
(correction: have NOT used VX's for all of that 55+ yrs - before those I used M-8 6x36's then FX2's and FX3's and could have right up to now and not "needed" anything else -an elk can be handily killed at 500 yds with a 6X, been there & done that)

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
kind of a good point ! I don't dial and most likely never will - I see and hear people run down Leupold because they've had their problems with "dialer scopes" but I'll take a VX3 or even a VX2 for any and all (I walk the talk btw) for instinctive or hold over shooting/hunting any day on any hunt (and have for all my 55+ years of hunting) and NEVER EVER had a single problem even in AK, B.C., AB and all over Rocky Mountain states
(correction: have NOT used VX's for all of that 55+ yrs - before those I used M-8 6x36's then FX2's and FX3's and could have right up to now and not "needed" anything else -an elk can be handily killed at 500 yds with a 6X, been there & done that)

I hunt AK and have a lot of Leupold scopes, never had a problem but I dont go dialing any time I dont have a 100yd zero.

16Bore

WKR
Used will keep $$ down. Leupold M8 6x42’s have been stellar for me. SWFA are better than they should be, MQ is easy for dialing.

But my favorite rig wears a 3x9 VXIIc from the late 80’s and is well proven.

Don’t feel like you’ve gotta be some long range jockey because that’s the “thing” now. And sure as hell don’t monkey around with dialing on an animal until you KNOW (meaning shot quite a bit) what the dial is all about.

I just looked up the 6x SWFA milquad out of curiosity. I wasn't familiar with that scope, and I like fixed 6x for a lot of open hunting scenarios. The first thing I look at on a scope is the weight. I don't see the point in buying or building a lightweight hunting rifle, only to put a unnecessarily heavy scope on it. The SWFA might be a great scope, but at over 20 oz., there's no way I'll ever buy one.

Leupold makes a great fixed 6x scope that is available with their LR (long range) reticle. It weighs only 10 oz. - half the weight of the SWFA. Weaver also makes a very good 6x38 fixed power that is also only 10 oz. I've owned two of those and they are exceptionally bright and sharp and have very good (albeit only duplex) reticles in them.

Ounce smart, pound foolish. If ur sleeping bags over 20oz, pads over 12oz, tents over 18oz, bino's over 24oz, boots over 18oz.. I'd look there before compromising on my scopes ability to hold zero and track. Especially when they can be had so cheaply.

Leupold 6x isn't 10oz anyways, and can't only be found new with the lr duplex.

I really really wish more people would have "spoke up" when I went by through this a few years back. 10" chamois and 14"+ Tahr don't grow around every corner.

Ounce smart, pound foolish. If ur sleeping bags over 20oz, pads over 12oz, tents over 18oz, bino's over 24oz, boots over 18oz.. I'd look there before compromising on my scopes ability to hold zero and track. Especially when they can be had so cheaply.

Leupold 6x isn't 10oz anyways, and can't only be found new with the lr duplex.

I really really wish more people would have "spoke up" when I went by through this a few years back. 10" chamois and 14"+ Tahr don't grow around every corner.

Who says my Leupold won't hold zero? That's a wild assumption. And unless Leupold is wrong, their 6x is in fact, 10 oz. and can be found with the LR duplex reticle. Why would you say it can't?

Hey, you don't need to justify your choices to me. I'm just saying what I prefer. And I don't carry all those things you listed in my hands, but I do carry my rifle in my hands, which is where I notice the weight.

But if you're chasing Chamois and Tar, you're already spending more money on your hunting hobby than I ever will, so carry on.

Hold zero maybe..

Track correctly.. haven't not had a scope move 1/10 of a Mil when running scopes that formidilosus recommends.

I hate to get way the **** dogmatic here.. if ur shit works run it.

GEtting a bendix carb on a genny shovel dialed enough to make it start first compression kick every time, shows how fuel injection a beautiful
Thing, and so is a scope that holds zero and tracks.

As for Tahr and chamois being expensive. Spent just over 1 year surfing and hunting NZ, total budget was about 27,000.. for a family of 4.. I have a hard time spending that for a year here in the states.

bdan68

WKR
Leupold doesn't make the VX-1 or VX-2 anymore. They replaced them with the VX-Freedom. That's what I'd recommend with the Tri-MOA reticle.

howl

WKR
Most any scope made in the Phillipines, Japan or the US these days will be adequate for OP's needs. The primary use for accurate turrets for most hunters is to save money on ammo when zeroing the rig. They go unused after. Zero it 2" high at 100 yards. Shoot it to learn how to hold.

Fancy reticles mess with my eyes. I'll dial for targets at distance, but hunting is just hold and kill. This works fine at the ranges I will shoot an animal.

Fatcamp

WKR
We found in practice that over 200 yards holding wasn't as accurate as we wanted. By using rangefinders and a simple drop chart we can put rounds exactly where we want them. If time is a factor we can certainly hold for elevation, and out to 200 drop is minimal, but by 250 it is beginning to be a little more critical. By 300 it is significant and we felt that using tools to be more precise was in order.

In the last three years since we started killing big game our ranges have been: 125, 75, 270, 370, and 260. All one shot kills which is what we are after. For us it just makes sense to have the ability to dial, and SWFA provides reliability in doing so. We have a dial on a VX3 as well.

Most important is to practice with whatever set-up you have so you can be sure of where you are hitting at distance. From what I see at sight in day most people should limit themselves to 100 yards, and scope brand probably won't help them much. Certainly plenty of people who can shoot, but just as many who cannot. It is up to the individual to determine what they really need, want, desire, etc.

There's a certain joy in watching my wife hit steel at 600 yards with a cheap Savage rifle and $300 scope. It has resulted in some hurt feeling, once in awhile mine. ;)

16Bore

WKR
Try shooting something other than at incremental even ranges. Drive grade stakes in the ground at random distances and staple paper plates on them. Resist the urge for a “bullseye” too. The center of the center is the center.

Range, hold, shoot. Dial if you like. One shot per plate.

It’ll humble ya a little......

Fatcamp

WKR
That sounds like fun, 16bore.

Our current game, as we live close to our range, is shoot one round offhand at 50, run to the 100 and shoot one round leaning against a post, then drop down and shoot at 200 from a pack or bipod while sitting. The other person can feel free to verbally interfere. Good times.

Compare targets and the person who was faster and more accurate wins and is allowed to give "tips" to the other shooter until the next event. Cold bore, three shots, no practice.

ChrisAU

WKR
Leupold doesn't make the VX-1 or VX-2 anymore. They replaced them with the VX-Freedom. That's what I'd recommend with the Tri-MOA reticle.

I'm not a fan of Leupold but the new Freedom line has considerably better glass than the VX-1 and marginally better than the VX-2 IMO. They are fantastic at the price point. The 3-9x40 can be had for $167 on eBay from a reputable seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX...Upage8J:sc:USPSPriority!36310!US!-1:rk:5:pf:0

IIRC my M8 6x42 w/M1 turret is 11.4oz...

That’s not a 200$ setup, or easily found but Will leupold still put an m1 turret on an m8?

What’s the reticle selection?

The vx-iii 3.5-10 with an m1 has good reviews too yeah?

Fatcamp

WKR
FX3 6X42 with a CDS would be cool. I'm sure Leupold would put a dial on one.

We put a CDS on a VX3. No complaints in a couple hundred rounds.

bdan68

WKR
Leupold's prices for making changes to their scopes recently increased so much that I don't think it's worth it. It's now better to sell your Leupold scope on eBay if you don't like it, and buy one that has the features you want.