Bullet tip recoil damage? Tikka 30-06

I am sighting in my new Tikka T3X in 30-06. So far I definitely cant complain as it shoots better than I can- Im an archery guy mostly. I am getting sub 1" groups with 165 Nosler AB's and 178g ELDX - both factory loads. My problem is I am noticing if I load a few in the mag I am getting the last few with "shaved" or deformed tips- worse on the ELDX than the AccuBonds but both have it. This is happening in the factory mag as well as a Mountain Tech mag. Is there another option or a remedy I am missing? I know it doesn't look like much but on a 300 yard shot maybe? This one is minor- the CX bullets are flattened sometimes. Like I say at 100 yards the groups are impressive- Im sure this will affect it at longer range.
Thanks in advance!
tempImagem5oqAZ.jpg

I don’t have any suggestions to fix your issue. I shot 168 Bergers/HSM factory ammo and never noticed tip deformation out of my Tikka 30-06. They shot great. So if you can’t remedy the situation you might try that ammo if you can find it.

I wonder if you can shim the magazine spring to increase tension and hold the rounds more firmly. I'm assuming the recoil is causing them to smack the front of the mag?

OP
S
That’s what i was thinking, but someone must make an aftermarket mag that secures them? I hope.

packer58

WKR
I'm not familiar with those mags but it is apparent that you have rough / sharp edges scrubbing the bullet tip. you should be able to remove the follower and spring then polish / round off any sharp edges on the stamped steel. Use Cold Blue to dress up any bare metal afterwards ......

Not unusual at all. Back in the day old lead tipped spire points would almost look like mushrooms.

One of the gun magazines did a profile piece testing such bullets. Conclusion was, iirc, out to nominal distances (300-400 yds) in hunting applications (8"/ whitetails) in an accurate rifle (1 MOA), don't worry about it.

If your application requires more accuracy, reserve those rounds for off hand practice and move on.

Too many things in life far more important.

JjamesIII

WKR
I am sighting in my new Tikka T3X in 30-06. So far I definitely cant complain as it shoots better than I can- Im an archery guy mostly. I am getting sub 1" groups with 165 Nosler AB's and 178g ELDX - both factory loads. My problem is I am noticing if I load a few in the mag I am getting the last few with "shaved" or deformed tips- worse on the ELDX than the AccuBonds but both have it. This is happening in the factory mag as well as a Mountain Tech mag. Is there another option or a remedy I am missing? I know it doesn't look like much but on a 300 yard shot maybe? This one is minor- the CX bullets are flattened sometimes. Like I say at 100 yards the groups are impressive- Im sure this will affect it at longer range.
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 597107
Coal might be too long for mag? Speaking of which, the recoil can also seat the bullet deeper in the case if you don’t have enough neck tension on a big boy magnum cartridge. Something that can cause problems.
Even on a little ar round, that top bullet in the mag that might get chambered before a hunt and never shot, only to get rechambered on subsequent hunts. The inertia can move the bullet in that way as well. It’s good to not repeatedly use the same one.