Bye Bye CPW Predator Control Program

chindits

WKR
I already posted this in the general discussion, but it maybe more appropriate for the muley crowd.

So wifey brought this article to my attention a few days ago and I kept waiting for someone to bring it up on Rokslide. Maybe someone had and I missed it.

Colorado may euthanize more bears and lions to try to boost dwindling deer numbers – The Denver Post

I will admit that I am no friend to predators and I am no enemy to CPW. I like a number of the DMs around here and I can only say good things about them. However, when I read the article I started wondering a couple things. First does CPW have anybody with public relations expertise on how to implement a potentially controversial program. Then I became a bit more cynical and started wondering if this was a PR ploy for the hunting population and CPW has no intention of implementing the program. What I mean is, did they think if they reveal this program to the public in this way, then they can say to hunters that they tried to implement a predator control program but the public outcry shut it down, essentially knowing that would happen.

So wife tells me that the Denver Post has a poll now to garner public opinion on this program. No need to say where that is going.

I suspect a subtle approach of increasing cat tags and adjusting the length and timing of bear seasons could have had a less controversial effort to reach a similar end. What about cat tags for every big game tag that is sold? I guess the houndsman would protest about that, but I don't see that reaching critical mass. I don't know too many people that would protest bear tags that would have a continual season running from mid Aug-Nov, but we have problem bears around here. I am sure there is some way to implement a program to reduce predation on deer herd, but the public release of this program doesn't seem to be it. It might make a good case study for public relations in wildlife management at CSU though.