CA FNG

Oh.Leever

FNG
Hello!

Ammo and Range time started to get expensive (been that way since Covid started) so I thought I would give archery a shot. Turns out that’s also expensive but the excitement of a new adventure and the thirst for knowledge is strong.

Randomly found RokSlide googling about release aids and now here I am making my first post.

Thanks for having me, I’ll be in y’all’s care

As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Welcome, did the same thing in California starting in 2020. When you can, try to get the tools to work on your own bow if possible.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

It’s quickly becoming obvious I underestimated archery. I have a friend who used to be a compound bow hobbyist, hopefully he might take me under his wing but it seems doubtful. Maybe I should just get a coach. But I got this to save money not spend more money haha!

Aside from good Allen wrenches what other tools should I get to work on the bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, did the same thing in California starting in 2020. When you can, try to get the tools to work on your own bow if possible.

Good luck and have fun!

Where in CA are you and what tools would you recommend I gather first?

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

It’s quickly becoming obvious I underestimated archery. I have a friend who used to be a compound bow hobbyist, hopefully he might take me under his wing but it seems doubtful. Maybe I should just get a coach. But I got this to save money not spend more money haha!

Aside from good Allen wrenches what other tools should I get to work on the bow?

What kind of issues are you having with regards to Archery?

Have you been to a pro shop to get measured for your draw length or get your bow close to tuned?

I started with an adjustable bow that I could change the draw length and weight without a bow press and started to learn absolutely everything by myself. I didn't and still haven't gone into a shop for anything but I have some anxiety issues where some times doing things like that are tough for me. However, I think I would have saved a TON of time and effort if I had at least done so at the very beginning. If there is a mistake to be made, I surely made it and had to learn from it.

Really, the only thing you need a press for is if you have to make large changes to your cams or anything like that, change out your peep sight or change your strings. Generally everything else you can do without a press. If you need a bow vise cheap, look at people that have used a bike stand for a bow vise, they are generally much cheaper than an actual bow vise.

In the last 3 years I have bought a Press, a bow vise and made a draw board. Those pretty much have me covered for anything I want to do with my bow.

I picked up a bare target bow that I thought was rather striking and really spoke to my soul. So when looking for a sight for it I stumbled across someone selling a rather old bow tech with a sight on it already. Figured for the price of the sight I got an extra bow. But after I got home I realized the string was derailed on the bottom cam. I checked for splinters and cracks and fraying but I didn’t look at the actual string around the cams, what a brain fart! And that explains why the bow Sat on Craigslist for so long.

So I took it to a local pro shop and they fixed it up quickly and gave it a quick look over. He adjusted the draw length to suit me but he did it by eye and intuition. Didn’t have any specific measurements for me except that it is #40.1 at the moment. He said the arrows that came with it should be fine for now along with the strings and just practice till I am ready to up my poundage and we can work out the finer details.

So then I discovered AT and realized there’s many bows for many disciplines and the accessories are endless. Everything has a lot of science to it and the one wrong move could blow my bow up and do me great bodily harm.

Right now I’m just trying to figure out what I intend to do with the bow and the right sight to get for it. Are hunting sights also good target sights? Does the amount of pins matter? Just going through newbie stuff because it’s all so new.

Right now I’m just trying to figure out what I intend to do with the bow and the right sight to get for it. Are hunting sights also good target sights? Does the amount of pins matter? Just going through newbie stuff because it’s all so new.

For now, do you enjoy shooting it? I would just keep shooting that bow until you feel you need or want anything different.

If you get to a point where you are hitting where you are aiming and want to up your poundage it sounds like they can do that for you.

I went with a basic ready to hunt package and so far have upgraded my rest and my sight, both things I can take with me to my new bow if I decide I want to get something better. I am still using the same release I bought with my bow 3 years ago, have looked and thought about upgrading it but haven't done it yet.

If you are just practicing any sight will do as long as it has a single pin. You could do a lot of practicing with a single pin and get very good. In a hunting situation, generally 1 pin isn't great unless you have it on a sliding sight to be able to shoot more than 1 distance. For the 1st two seasons I hunted with a 3 pin fixed sight and it was fine for me. I was given a 3 pin sliding sight and have had a blast with that since I have had it. I like the ability to easily shoot further distances if I feel like it and I still get the option of shooting at 3 distances easy without changing the slider.

For now, I feel that I am definitely the weak link in the equation and am practicing all the time to get better at shooting. If I feel my current bow lacks something at some point, I will upgrade but so far that hasn't happened.

Back