CA Ridgeline FFT BBL Break In w/Issues?!?

LFC911

WKR
Started doing the barrel break in on my new CA Ridgeline FFT in 7mm PRC. The first six rounds shot and ejected fine and then I ran a patch of solvent, followed by ten double-strokes with a nylon brush, another patch of solvent, followed by a couple of dry patches. Rounds 7-42 were quite different. They had a heavy bolt lift, extractor/bolt face marks on the brass, very little to no primer flow but very hard to cycle. If i was reloading i would back down on the powder, however these is factory ELDM and ELDX ammo. What should i do now? Rifle was shooting about 1MOA at the end of the day. Would cleaning cause the higher pressures? I wouldn't think factory ammo would be over pressured. Do I just keep shooting or contact CA? TIA

Factory ELD-X Rounds 1-9 after firing R-L, extractor marks more prominent after cleaning after first 6 rounds.
IMG_1579.JPEG

ELD-M rounds 13-24 grouping at about 1MOA in the end.
IMG_1584.JPEG

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Did you use a bore guide? If not, you probably had solvent in the chamber.

BTW, barrel break in really isn't necessary.
I did not use a bore guide at the range...i will see if i have one that fits and try it with that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

Mag_7s

WKR
Barrel break-in is a pretty controversial topic with valid arguments on both sides. The argument that makes the most sense to me and supported by Bartlein is: you are essentially smoothing the throat/lead area of the bore that has tooling marks left by the reamer. I dont believe there are any negative effects to accuracy, however the purpose is to reduce the fouling material that gets trapped and smothed over by the first several firings.
I have personally never had this process create early pressure signs, ie. residual cleaning solvent in the chamber area. The first thought that comes to my mind is an early carbon ring is forming. But, not having any experience with this cartridge or have read little about it, im not sure if that is an inherent problem as of yet.

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Barrel break-in is a pretty controversial topic with valid arguments on both sides. The argument that makes the most sense to me and supported by Bartlein is: you are essentially smoothing the throat/lead area of the bore that has tooling marks left by the reamer. I dont believe there are any negative effects to accuracy, however the purpose is to reduce the fouling material that gets trapped and smothed over by the first several firings.
I have personally never had this process create early pressure signs, ie. residual cleaning solvent in the chamber area. The first thought that comes to my mind is an early carbon ring is forming. But, not having any experience with this cartridge or have read little about it, im not sure if that is an inherent problem as of yet.
I wonder if any residual solvents in the action is making it harder for the gasses to escape, causing the pressure signs? I think it might and will try the bore guide if I do anymore cleaning at the range.

Mag_7s

WKR
You don't want the gasses to escape through the chamber, they should be going down the bore. The case is supposed to seal the chamber.
I would clean the rifle, paying a little extra attention to scrubbing the throat area.
Always a good idea to use a bore guide, especially to protect the throat from the jag.
Then try shooting again, and watching for early pressure signs and when they start to develop.

Yeah my first thought is a lot of solvent left in the chamber or it's really soft brass from the factory?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Mag_7s

WKR
Yeah my first thought is a lot of solvent left in the chamber or it's really soft brass from the factory?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
The solvent left in the chamber is definitely worth looking into, but I would think the several dry patches the OP followed up with would have absorbed excessive solvent... but maybe not.
Hornady brass isn't the best out there, but should be good with factory pressures under most circumstances.

Mag_7s

WKR

Good read for understanding common pressure and chamber issues.

Mag_7s

WKR
Another thought that comes to mind is internal chamber temp. When you said earlier shots 7-42 showed pressure I'm also wondering if the chamber temperature could be raising pressure. I'm not sure what Hornady is using for powder, but read that some are thinking it's RL 26.

Following. Just picked up the same rifle today.

How you liking it a couple shooting sessions in? How’s the recoil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Following. Just picked up the same rifle today.

How you liking it a couple shooting sessions in? How’s the recoil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Other than the issue that I caused with cleaning, it has been fine. Recoil is not bad at all. Mine liked the match ammo over the precision hunter with 60 rounds down the pipe.

Other than the issue that I caused with cleaning, it has been fine. Recoil is not bad at all. Mine liked the match ammo over the precision hunter with 60 rounds down the pipe.
Great! Glad to hear it... I have noted the cleaning issue and generally use a bore guide but will be sure that the chamber is clean and dry. I ordered several boxes of precision hunter yesterday - what sort of group you getting with the match vs precision hunter?

Shot over a chronograph at all? Curious what speeds to expect out of the 22" barrel.

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Great! Glad to hear it... I have noted the cleaning issue and generally use a bore guide but will be sure that the chamber is clean and dry. I ordered several boxes of precision hunter yesterday - what sort of group you getting with the match vs precision hunter?

Shot over a chronograph at all? Curious what speeds to expect out of the 22" barrel.
The pic above is the match ammo and the PH i was probably getting 1.5" groups at best. I don't have a chrono and am also curious what kind of speed it is getting. I'm planning on shooting a PRS match in April with a different gun and usually one of those guys usually have a lab radar. I will try to see if they will let me get some speeds out of it and try to validate it at distance after the match.

The pic above is the match ammo and the PH i was probably getting 1.5" groups at best. I don't have a chrono and am also curious what kind of speed it is getting. I'm planning on shooting a PRS match in April with a different gun and usually one of those guys usually have a lab radar. I will try to see if they will let me get some speeds out of it and try to validate it at distance after the match.
Awesome - best luck in your match!

I do have a chronograph... so when I get some ammo in and weather warms up a bit, I'll get some readings and report what I find.

Thanks for the info!