Caliber for goat / sheep

Shoothow

FNG
Hey rokslides
I need some expert advice. I currently have a kimber Montana chambered in 6.5 creedmoor Hornady 143gr ELD-X. With a swaro z3 scope
Looking back on it I wish I got. 300wsm
I understand shot placement is key, but would this caliber take down a got within 500 yards
Thanks

hodgeman

WKR
Goats are slab sided and not terribly wide. A 6.5 should be just fine if you put it where it matters.

Goats get a well deserved reputation for tough, but they aren't armored. The hair and build tends to confuse the aiming point. Study up where to shoot one and you should be fine.

OP
S

Shoothow

FNG
Hey thanks Hodgeman
I have been studying how to judge billies, very good point about length of coat.

As Hodgman says, they goats aren’t that big and any deer caliber will kill one. The drive towards bigger rounds is primarily because they are highly resistant to nervous system disruption and don’t “drop at the shot” very often. That coupled with the habit of cliff diving (BTDT) while they get around bleeding out gives them the tough reputation.

If I was going to use a 6.5 on one, I’d select a rapidly bullet for maximum damage (which you have) and carry on.

You are good to go on sheep. They pile up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

.270 Winchester for sheep and goat. Bring one round for your sheep hunt and about seven rounds for your mountain goat hunt.

OXN939

WKR
Hey rokslides
I need some expert advice. I currently have a kimber Montana chambered in 6.5 creedmoor Hornady 143gr ELD-X. With a swaro z3 scope
Looking back on it I wish I got. 300wsm
I understand shot placement is key, but would this caliber take down a got within 500 yards
Thanks

Yes. Shot placement > caliber.

mtnhmr

FNG
WSM = violent, 6.5 = pin prick

Wouldn't regret your choices here, the sectional density alone shines above the WSM on these smaller bodied cliffhangers.

On bison or moose, WSM all day!

Yes. Shot placement > caliber.
you could do ALOT worse than a 270 WSM launching 130 bonded core or monolithics - trying the asterisk marked loads in the Nosler #8 manual will get you where you want to be, it's worked for me with numerous 270 WSM (a most handy cartridge indeed)

Ratbeetle

WKR
WSM = violent, 6.5 = pin prick

Wouldn't regret your choices here, the sectional density alone shines above the WSM on these smaller bodied cliffhangers.

On bison or moose, WSM all day!

.264 143gr eld-x .293 sectional density.
.308 200gr eld-x .304 sectional density.

Just saying.

The 6.5 will do the job, but at 500yds I'd rather have the wsm.

OXN939

WKR
.264 143gr eld-x .293 sectional density.
.308 200gr eld-x .304 sectional density.

Just saying.

The 6.5 will do the job, but at 500yds I'd rather have the wsm.

True that .300 WSM still allows a lot of latitude that could correct a less-than-perfect shot at 500. But, if we're talking about an overall caliber choice here, I'm with mtnhmr's assessment... my WSM will probably only ever get walked during moose season. Anything smaller and I'm in the intermediate caliber boat for better availability, lower cost, less recoil, quicker follow up shots and fewer TBIs for anyone without ear pro in the general vicinity.

Decker9

WKR
My main mountain rifle is a 6.5 Swede, did a fabulous job @ 350 yards on my ram last season, broad side pass through, and a chest shot which the bullet ended up in his backbone between his back hips. If I was confident at 500 yards, I wouldn’t hesitate shooting the smaller 6,5’s out there.