calling bears

Hey, I live in Vermont where you cannot bait bears. I don't have access to dogs, and I was interested in calling bears. Last year, I got lucky with a good little bear, but I aimed too high, and never found him after finding pinpricks of blood 450-500 yards later. Anything on how to call in bears?

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would guess a crying rabbit call would rustle them up to be atleast curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I would guess a crying rabbit call would rustle them up to be atleast curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used a Primos screaming cottontail to call in the bear in profile picture. He was bee-lining straight for me, so I'd say he seemed pretty interested.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

My wife has a bear tag this year and I'm planning on trying to call. Not sure if you're familiar with Remi Warren, google him if not, but he says that calling bears is very effective. He says the secret is to call for between 30 and 45 minutes straight. He says bears have a short attention span so if you don't call constantly they'll lose interest and won't come all the way in. The bears he's called in have come in after at least 30 minutes of constant calling. I'm going to give it a go, fawn distress is the one I'm going to go with I'll let you know how it works out. Her season starts 1 month from tomorrow. Should be fun either way.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I called pretty heavy for 30 seconds to a minute then rested for 4 to 5 minutes then repeated. I did that for about 30-40 minutes.

That was while taking a break from still hunting into the wind. Found a low saddle pass on the mountain choked to holy hell in mountain laurel. Sat downwind and screamed that little cottontail's lungs out. Obviously, if no bears in earshot, then it's futile. But at least my little anecdotal experience supports the calling method as effective.

(... Don't tell too many people about our little secret...)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I had a mid-sized boar come in fast and hard to elk calf sounds. I was a bit frustrated and was getting pretty whiney with it. There probably aren't many elk in Vermont but I bet the bears don't know that... I was using the Duel bite and blow style call.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Guy just called in a bear with it the other day, 25 yards, color phase with a bow.
nice

I had a mid-sized boar come in fast and hard to elk calf sounds. I was a bit frustrated and was getting pretty whiney with it. There probably aren't many elk in Vermont but I bet the bears don't know that... I was using the Duel bite and blow style call.
okay, I will try that

My buddy has taken 2 Maryland bears with this call.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34

My buddy has taken 2 Maryland bears with this call.
will look into that

I wish we could use electronic calls here in CO, I am heading out next week for a bear hunt. I am taking a mouth elk calf call, but I have no idea if it will help this is my first time hunting them. Since you can use electronic calls I would use them. You can set them off at a couple hundred and watch what comes in. I use one for coyotes, and it really helps that their attention is on the location of the call and not the hunter. Just take extra batteries, electronic calls eats them up pretty fast.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
I wish we could use electronic calls here in CO, I am heading out next week for a bear hunt. I am taking a mouth elk calf call, but I have no idea if it will help this is my first time hunting them. Since you can use electronic calls I would use them. You can set them off at a couple hundred and watch what comes in. I use one for coyotes, and it really helps that their attention is on the location of the call and not the hunter. Just take extra batteries, electronic calls eats them up pretty fast.

Ah. I wonder if VT says that is legal or not. 5 bucks says not!

Ah. I wonder if VT says that is legal or not. 5 bucks says not!

Illegal to use electronic calls for game animals in most eastern states. Including the states I hunt in most (NH and SC). Best to check.

However, I've called bears in a few times while coyote hunting in New Hampshire with electronic calls. The ones that I recall working best- Snowshoe in distress and prairie dog (go figure). I would imagine VT is like NH with mostly snowshoes and very little cottontails, so my suggestion would be to find a snowshoe tube. I wouldn't mess with fawn distress in the fall although its killer on summer coyotes..

Best of luck I'll be trying the same in South Carolina this year and would be interested in hearing from anyone who's been succesful. I would also recommend Remi Warren's podcast on the subject.