Camp Coffee

Jbxl20

WKR
Aero press at the the truck, black rifle coffee bags when backpacking. I like the aeropress, it’s just a lot of parts and cumbersome when backpack hunting.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Eureka group pour-over setup at base camp. The pot is designed like a jet boil so much quicker to heat up to 195. Grind the Kick-Ass beans for pour-over and vacuum seal for camp right before the season begins. Keep 1 lb. handy in a can and use #4 filters in the cone. Heat up on our dual burner canister stove. The Eureka setup comes with the 80-ounce pot, 60-ounce carafe and the cone. IMHO, a lot smoother than French press and cleanup is very easy and eco-friendly. I'm a coffee snob and this is better than the local coffee shop baristas make. Takes a little practice at home to get it dialed in but it's worth it.

If I didn't waste half my day crapping after drinking the stuff I would cook up some water and French press it. Made the switch to Mt Dew for my morning drink. Nothing better than an ice cold dew at Deer camp

Scrappy

WKR
Over the years I've tried a bunch while camping (cowboy, pour-over, bags, percolator, french press).......and none of it was very good. I've even tried some of the pour-overs at home and it's just not very good for whatever reason. To be honest, the best camp coffee I've had is the Starbucks Italian Roast Via's......so that's what I use. And they're also the least cumbersome, lightest weight, and no clean up. I always have some in my pack, my vehicles, and my camp supplies. That's all I use when traveling as well with my Jetboil.
I used to be like you until I tried this, now I won't be caught in the woods without a ziploc bag of this stuff. Surprisingly delicious and cheaper than Starbucks.

Attachments

• 16464979421492702923817676097294.jpg
    16464979421492702923817676097294.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 48
There are a couple company's that make a backpacking all in one drip coffee. Dark Timber is one of them. They're excellent

The Dark Timber pour over packs are legit. If I wasn’t so forgetful I’d order more of these.

I’ve been buying the BRC tea bag things, those are pretty good too.

instant-espresso-coffee.png

Home, travel, camp, etc.

I do prefer to heat the water to hot and steaming but not yet boiling and pour in. If it boils, I'll set it aside and let it cool some. To my taste, it's much better, more smooth, especially if it's drank black.

I'll even make a cup at night and let it cool, then refridgerate for the next morning. I do add a bit of whole milk in the mornings and drink it cold.

Just wish they made a bigger jar for home use. But the little ones are great for travel.

Last edited:
I don't care for the clean up of ground coffee in camp. So I use instant. I've yet to find a better instant than the Starbucks singles. Spendy but worth it to me. It's one of my few luxury items in camp or on the trail.

Via if I’m backpacking or in a hurry, Costco has good size box them which makes them a little cheaper. A friend turned me onto the cheap plastic pour over, so that’s what I do camping and at home now. Quick, easier cleanup than a French press etc and good enough coffee for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to be like you until I tried this, now I won't be caught in the woods without a ziploc bag of this stuff. Surprisingly delicious and cheaper than Starbucks.
I've actually tried that stuff, and didn't like it as much as the Italian Roast Via's.

TheViking

WKR
I always do instant or pour over when I’m sleeping in the back country. If I’m in the wall tent I use a French press.

Black Rifle has two options - instant packets and teabag style.

Full Draw Coffee has pour over that are really good too:

I use the gsi pour over thing too. Works great, and easier cleanup vs a press.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I hate the Starbucks and BRCC instant, but the dark roast Kuju pour overs are great!

LostArra

WKR
Over the years I've tried a bunch while camping (cowboy, pour-over, bags, percolator, french press).......and none of it was very good. I've even tried some of the pour-overs at home and it's just not very good for whatever reason. To be honest, the best camp coffee I've had is the Starbucks Italian Roast Via's......so that's what I use. And they're also the least cumbersome, lightest weight, and no clean up. I always have some in my pack, my vehicles, and my camp supplies. That's all I use when traveling as well with my Jetboil.

I agree on the simplicity of Vias and it's easy to find. It's taste isn't great but you're "roughing it" anyway.

Coffee nerd warning:
Each of the brewing methods you mentioned (except the horrible bags) requires a different grind of the coffee bean and a little experimenting on your part if you know you like a specific bean variety and roast. The only way to get a varied grind is to own a burr grinder (not a whirly blade) and buy whole bean coffee. It sounds complicated but it's not.

Pre ground coffee is usually too coarse to get good extraction except from a percolator or french press.. But pre ground coffee is never as good as grind-your-own.

Unless you're perfectly happy with convenience store Folgers I would suggest a burr grinder to immediately upgrade your at-home coffee.

Cheers

Jethro

WKR
In the field, Black Rifle instant.

In our truck camp we've done it all. Started with stainless perc on stove. Then couple years did the Coleman stove top drip. Now that the generator runs all night to power the ever increasing number of cpap machines in our gang, we've gone electric. 1 year electric drip. Last year Keurig. Tim Horton and Martinson were pods of choice.