Canvas tipi??

wysongdog

WKR
I’ve been looking at getting a large tipi. Probably a 12 person. I hunt off horses so lightweight isn’t as big of a deal for me as I’m not packing it on my back. I’m leaning towards a seeks outside. But was curious if anyone had any input on a canvas tipi just for extended long term durability. I’ve got a big wall tent but it’s kinda a pain to erect by myself.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I use to make and sell these. 10.10oz Sunforger canvas tipis. Left on was 16ft diameters the other a 20ft. The problem was that everyone scuffed at the shipping cost. At 35 and 50lbs you were looking at around $100.
There are a couple manufacturers out there that I’d look at if I were to buy one. I think one is sponsor here. Nordic tent I believe.
Canvas as you know doesn’t have the condensation issues as nylon and it will give you a little R value and hold warmth a bit.
895067A7-563D-4545-A9FC-A0C63C115F83.jpeg

bbrown

WKR
Check out the Davis tent single pole tipi - been using mine for years now. Hang it from a tree or make an exterior frame and adds a ton of room. Perfect for 2 guys on cots with gear and a propane heater. Easy top load on pack horse

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Any other thoughts?
Hello Wysondog,

Mansfield Outdoors is the Tentipi dealer in the USA and Canada. We're a sponsor here on Rokslide and I'm always happy to help out with questions or concerns regarding Tentipi Nordic tipis. Please don't hesitate to call me directly if you like at 425-501-7512.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I use to make and sell these. 10.10oz Sunforger canvas tipis. Left on was 16ft diameters the other a 20ft. The problem was that everyone scuffed at the shipping cost. At 35 and 50lbs you were looking at around $100.
There are a couple manufacturers out there that I’d look at if I were to buy one. I think one is sponsor here. Nordic tent I believe.
Canvas as you know doesn’t have the condensation issues as nylon and it will give you a little R value and hold warmth a bit.
View attachment 196321

I had a canvas artic army tipi with the liner. They build and hold heat way better than standard tipis. As such, in extreme cold environments they shine. I'd say down to zero, you don't need canvas.

valtteri

FNG
View attachment 196321

Hey @Dirtydan, those are some nice looking tipis for sure!

I am contemplating a canvas tipi for basecamp use. Here in Finland the traditional Lapland tipi is pitched with about 10 wooden poles, similar to what the native americans did, but my requirements are a single pole pitch for portability and ease of use.

I see yours were single pole tipis. Any issues with the much heavier weight vs silnylon tipis and pole durability?

Did yours have stove jacks, any problems with running a stove (I would think not since they run open fires inside the tipis here in Lapland)?

How taut of a pitch can you get with the adjustable pole? I see you have guy outs, do you always need them? (In your photos the tipis look good without being guyed out)

All in all, any downsides to a canvas tipi vs silnylon in basecamp use?

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Hey @Dirtydan, those are some nice looking tipis for sure!

I am contemplating a canvas tipi for basecamp use. Here in Finland the traditional Lapland tipi is pitched with about 10 wooden poles, similar to what the native americans did, but my requirements are a single pole pitch for portability and ease of use.

I see yours were single pole tipis. Any issues with the much heavier weight vs silnylon tipis and pole durability?

Did yours have stove jacks, any problems with running a stove (I would think not since they run open fires inside the tipis here in Lapland)?

How taut of a pitch can you get with the adjustable pole? I see you have guy outs, do you always need them? (In your photos the tipis look good without being guyed out)

All in all, any downsides to a canvas tipi vs silnylon in basecamp use?
I did have one customer bend a pole but they had left it up for 3 weeks in which they had severe ice storms and finally a blizzard that dumped 10-12” of heavy wet snow. If you don’t need compact ability I’d suggest using a fiberglass pole like a pole vaulter uses.

All my tents had nomex rubber coated stove jacks. Never had any issues whatsoever.

Even without using the side guy outs I could get them literally drum tight. I’ve had 30ish mph winds and never felt like I needed to batten down the hatches and guy everything out but it’s nice having them there just in case.

I can’t think of any downsides to canvas other than weight and even then mine weren’t bad for one person to pitch.