Caribou Rifle and Defense Option

Catchfish

WKR
If you feel you the need to have bear protection then use real bear protection and keep your rifle handy. I don’t see the point in taking two guns on a hunting trip, the rifle is really the only protection you need.

VernAK

WKR
If you feel you the need to have bear protection then use real bear protection and keep your rifle handy. I don’t see the point in taking two guns on a hunting trip, the rifle is really the only protection you need.
Rather than investing in a large handgun, I prefer to put the $$$$ into that hunting rifle to make it as fool-proof and reliable as possible. I want that fit and function to be as perfect as I can get. The rifle must fit me like a good shotgun. If your rifle has a box magazine, duct tape it into place. If your rifle has a floor plate, freeze it shut somehow. How smoothly does your rifle feed? Some of today's cartridges are more difficult to feed than the older cartridges with gentle shoulder angle.

chucko

FNG
I use a Ruger compact 308 with a 2x7 leupold . It is accurate at normal hunting ranges and quick to point . The most important thing is I shoot it well and quick . I practice offhand at ranges of 20ft to 100 yards. I have never felt undergunned . I would take the 1 rifle that you shoot the best and leave at that .

AKDoc

WKR
To the OP...you've asked a good question, and I'm sure you are seeing that there are differing opinions to your question. If it makes you feel any better....I've asked myself that same question for over thirty-years for each and every hunt up here.

I always have a pistol with me for my back country adventures, but when I'm on a hunt with a rifle I sometimes bring a pistol and sometimes don't...not all hunts are the same and I go back and forth as I think about it for each hunt. Quite honestly, on the hunts where I do decide to bring a pistol, it is holstered in my tent 90% of the time because my rifle is pretty much always with me and right there...I'll take my pistol with me when I head off to do my daily dump (not trying to be gross), and I'm also carrying my pistol when I'm field butchering and hauling meat loads back and forth...but that's about it for me with my pistol. I do also bring my rifle to the kill site and have it there during the butchering, but it's nice (for me) not to have to carry my rifle when humping moose bags back to camp multiple times. The exception to the aforementioned is when I am on a float hunt...on those I am wearing my pistol all day, every day.

Bottom line, we all do what feels right for us. That said, if I were doing a caribou hunt with friends, I'd likely not bring a pistol. BTW, bring your 375.

Sorry to be so long-winded...the very best to you for a safe and wonderful adventure this fall up here!

OP
D
To the OP...you've asked a good question, and I'm sure you are seeing that there are differing opinions to your question. If it makes you feel any better....I've asked myself that same question for over thirty-years for each and every hunt up here.

I always have a pistol with me for my back country adventures, but when I'm on a hunt with a rifle I sometimes bring a pistol and sometimes don't...not all hunts are the same and I go back and forth as I think about it for each hunt. Quite honestly, on the hunts where I do decide to bring a pistol, it is holstered in my tent 90% of the time because my rifle is pretty much always with me and right there...I'll take my pistol with me when I head off to do my daily dump (not trying to be gross), and I'm also carrying my pistol when I'm field butchering and hauling meat loads back and forth...but that's about it for me with my pistol. I do also bring my rifle to the kill site and have it there during the butchering, but it's nice (for me) not to have to carry my rifle when humping moose bags back to camp multiple times. The exception to the aforementioned is when I am on a float hunt...on those I am wearing my pistol all day, every day.

Bottom line, we all do what feels right for us. That said, if I were doing a caribou hunt with friends, I'd likely not bring a pistol. BTW, bring your 375.

Sorry to be so long-winded...the very best to you for a safe and wonderful adventure this fall up here!
Thanks for the nice reply (others as well).

I read a lot on forums but do not post to much as I don’t usually have much to say that adds any value. I am good with differing opinions.

I am going to go with the 375. I am comfortable with it and shoot it well.

It’s a Ruger M77 and with the safety on the bolt is locked closed.

I have had other guns that the bolt opened up on me while attached to a pack and the round came out.

Really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again.

Sako76

WKR
Shoot 235 grain Barnes TSX out of your 375 Ruger, check out the ballistics on Double Tap ammo.

As for the pistol, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
On t he bear thread right now there is a post with billy molls about bear defense and the five things to do, whether to carry, etc.

AkRyan

WKR
If I was in your shoes I would be taking one gun if your partner is already bringing a pistol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
And leave your life in your friends hands....in Alaska everyone should carry for there own protection and others protection secondary.

right....because i will have my rifle with me when i am hunting. the pistol is for when we are sleeping in the tent. must eaiser for someone to swing a pistol around in the tent then a rifle. If you want to carry a pistol and a gun when you're hunting go for it. I dont see the reason. I havent been mauled or had to shoot a bear that has been attacking some one and i bet most people havent but i would bet if you are being mauled your partner is going to have a much better chance at shooting the bear off you then you are.

jhm2023

WKR
I'll take a handgun on archery hunts and when fishing but I only take a rifle on rifle hunts. To me it just doesn't make sense to carry the extra weight of a pistol that has inferior ballistics to the rifle already being carried into the backcountry. I'm not too lazy to grab my rifle every time I leave the tent even to go to the restroom because you never know when you might see that critter you want to shoot, not just have it for bear defense. Also for the "difficulty" in putting a rifle into action inside a tent, well I use larger floorless shelters that have the room for it and I plan my sleeping arrangements, sleeping bag zipper orientation and rifle location accordingly (that when, then thinking). How many of the people saying a pistol is easier to use in a tent can actually get their butts out of their sleeping bag in a hurry and have practiced doing so, even if its in the tent in the back yard? Then there is the fact that a rifle is easier to aim and place accurate shots with compared to a handgun. In the end it's all personal choice and each person needs to assess the pros and cons based on their mental/physical ability with each and carry what they deem best for protecting themselves and the people they care about. Whichever you choose, be sure to practice, become proficient and go enjoy the backcountry and kill stuff.

AkRyan

WKR
right....because i will have my rifle with me when i am hunting. the pistol is for when we are sleeping in the tent. must eaiser for someone to swing a pistol around in the tent then a rifle. If you want to carry a pistol and a gun when you're hunting go for it. I dont see the reason. I havent been mauled or had to shoot a bear that has been attacking some one and i bet most people havent but i would bet if you are being mauled your partner is going to have a much better chance at shooting the bear off you then you are.
Visa Versa

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I've never felt the need to carry both at once. So my revolver comes with me on hikes, scouting trips, and most of all fishing. Only the rifle on hunts (I've never felt the need for more than my 3006, though I have no argument with going bigger).

On a fly-in I'd rather spend that weight elsewhere. Bourbon, extra down quilt, silnylon tarp, extra stove fuel, bear fence. Any item that will definitely get used and only enhance the experience.

AkRyan

WKR
I have a thought on this that maybe most folks aren't thinking about. I have had 3 bears bluff charge me in my 38yrs up here, 2 while fishing and one going back to get meat from a moose kill.
When your hunting with a rifle you are expecting to shoot your animal at distance so your rifle has a scope to help that. When you go fishing your expecting a possible bear encounter up close...do you bring a rifle or pistol?
Hunting rifles are 99% of the time bolt action and they require time to reload and unless your property trained they require you to come off target to reload. These are two things that could literally be the difference between life or possible death.
I look at a side arm like a seat belt in a truck. I know I should have it on because it will raise your chances of survival substantially but if you don't wear it you are excepting the fact that shit might happen and it will effect more than just you.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I have a thought on this that maybe most folks aren't thinking about. I have had 3 bears bluff charge me in my 38yrs up here, 2 while fishing and one going back to get meat from a moose kill.
When your hunting with a rifle you are expecting to shoot your animal at distance so your rifle has a scope to help that. When you go fishing your expecting a possible bear encounter up close...do you bring a rifle or pistol?
Hunting rifles are 99% of the time bolt action and they require time to reload and unless your property trained they require you to come off target to reload. These are two things that could literally be the difference between life or possible death.
I look at a side arm like a seat belt in a truck. I know I should have it on because it will raise your chances of survival substantially but if you don't wear it you are excepting the fact that shit might happen and it will effect more than just you.
That's a really good way to look at it. A .44 on the chest is a lot better than a .375 leaned up against the tree behind you. I personally only carry a sidearm when my hunting arm is less than ideal (archery or small game hunting). The smallest I've ever felt was a mama moose blocking the trail and all I had was a .22 Hornet. I found an alternate route to the trailhead.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I haven’t carried my chest gun the last two caribou seasons.

However, this upcoming fall I’ll be carrying it again as I’m moose hunting. I’d much rather pack meat with a chest gun than a back gun.

As mentioned earlier the pistol isn’t ideal, but all things considered I’ll take my sub par pistol skills over my scoped rifle skills in close quarters.

Of course this will all be after judo hip tossing that pesky bear to the side to draw and shoot on the move as I ninja roll around the Tussaks to get a better angle.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
10 mm with 200+ gr at my head and rifle in a watertight bag outside the tent to avoid condensation fog on the glass spur-o-the-moment.

have had brownies sniff and snort the tent walls and one youngin put his paw down firmly on the side of the tent once...a rifle inside a tent just ain't smart. I guess I want a pistol barrel to be the last thing a bear tastes before he's on my spirit list....