Carry 8x32 and pack 15x56

gfreidy

WKR
Just curious. I am considering carrying small 8xs and packing 15x binos for my general deer hunts. The country I hunt is big river break type country and I feel I could definitely use 15s to scour the region but wanted to maintain smaller glass for general use and helping to pull apart the closer creek bottoms etc. General OTC deer tag so don’t think I need a scope. If I can tell it is 4x4 or bigger I am going after it.

skierhs

WKR
It’s a viable option. I used to have 10x,15x, and a 95mm and would always carry the 10x on my chest and either both or just the 15x or spotter depending on where I was hunting. A 15x can be a great tool for picking apart a landscape, cutting weight, and ease of use compared to a spotter.

I would always think about dropping down my chest bino but it never was worth it for the extra cost from a money aspect as well as the loss in light transmission. It definitely could be done though.

Side note: recently switched to the 12x NL from my 15x and I miss a little bit of the magnification but the field of view

brsnow

WKR
I carry 8x30 and a 50mm spotter now. 10x were to hard to use by hand for me.

Trekenc

FNG
Also thinking of going this route. Spotting scope feels like overkill for mule deer hunts in hill country. I feel like I am always overlooking what is right in front of me with the spotting scope. I used a single leg trigger stick with my 8's this to cut some weight. Pulled a muscle in my back just prior to hunting season. I am thinking of trying some 15's on a monopod. Anyone use a monopod they are happy with? The trigger stick I used did not get short enough when sitting. Also anyone use eyeshields with the 15's? I have a pair of leupold 15's and the eyecups are pretty uncomfortable.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Also thinking of going this route. Spotting scope feels like overkill for mule deer hunts in hill country. I feel like I am always overlooking what is right in front of me with the spotting scope. I used a single leg trigger stick with my 8's this to cut some weight. Pulled a muscle in my back just prior to hunting season. I am thinking of trying some 15's on a monopod. Anyone use a monopod they are happy with? The trigger stick I used did not get short enough when sitting. Also anyone use eyeshields with the 15's? I have a pair of leupold 15's and the eyecups are pretty uncomfortable.
8x32 and 15x56 is a great combo. I currently run 8x42, but if I had the 8x32 EL, I would go to the smaller bino.

My experience is that 8x well stabilized beats higher magnification with less stability. If you are counting ounces, I would take the 8x and the tripod before I would try to stabilize 15x on a monopod.

I fooled around with trekking poles as a substitute. Mountainsmith makes a monopod trekking pole that my kid uses because he is still building up his strength and endurance. It is no substitute for a tripod.

WyoKid

WKR
Just curious. I am considering carrying small 8xs and packing 15x binos for my general deer hunts. The country I hunt is big river break type country and I feel I could definitely use 15s to scour the region but wanted to maintain smaller glass for general use and helping to pull apart the closer creek bottoms etc. General OTC deer tag so don’t think I need a scope. If I can tell it is 4x4 or bigger I am going after it.
8x32 binos is perfect but get good glass. I run with Leica...heavy but light gathering and details are superior. Also have Zeiss 10x25 for light weight when still hunting but prefer superior light gathering of my Leica. When I need a spotter I run with a Kowa 553, which is perfect for me....

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
8x32 binos is perfect but get good glass. I run with Leica...heavy but light gathering and details are superior. Also have Zeiss 10x25 for light weight when still hunting but prefer superior light gathering of my Leica. When I need a spotter I run with a Kowa 553, which I perfect for me....
I agree, 8x30 companion Cl are 17 oz and. Great glass, I can’t tell a difference between them and my 10x42 slc for quality.. picked up the 50mm cronos spotter Black Friday for a light weight quality way to get more details if needed.

Totoro

WKR
I am using 8x42 and 15x; works well enough for me.

On a backcountry, 12x on the chest and 50-65mm in the pack.

Man I’m in a similar situation. I don’t want to buy or pack 3 pieces or optics. I’m either going slc 10s and a 65 or 77 spotter or 8s and 15s. This is for backpack hunting high country mule. In general I almost always use a tripod and do not do much hand holding so 15s seem like a great option.

however, 15s weigh 42oz and 65m scope weighs 48oz, so maybe going 10s and spotter is a better all around solution. Man I keep going back and forth.

any advise is welcome.
Adam

Trial153

WKR
I have gone 12x and 8x32 many time for muledeer and coues deer, no issues at all. I really like 8x32s els on a stalk and feel they helped me get some arrows off quick. ..one hand use, big FOV adds up to easy use.

I have gone 12x and 8x32 many time for muledeer and coues deer, no issues at all. I really like 8x32s els on a stalk and feel they helped me get some arrows off quick. ..one hand use, big FOV adds up to easy use.
Yeah I am actually leaning towards EL 12s. Then maybe add a spotter down the road.