Carry question (non hunting) UPDATED.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Good thread and now watching.

I'm evaluating an EDC and holster so this is all good stuff. I'm somewhere between an RM380 and Glock 29. :D

My biggest concern with a striker fire pistol (and no manual safety) is accidental discharge. I simply would not worry about that with my SP101 or SR1911, but these newer pistols require I educate myself more.

Just to add a couple comments and certainly not telling anyone what to do, but I'm using the below to guide how I EDC.

A miniscule % of CDE's (Civilian Defensive Encounters) need more than one mag.

Also, do not forget the FIBSA (Fudge, I'm Being Shot At) factor no matter what you carry.

Eddie

Last edited:
I carry a G22 for the capacity, .40 cal and comfort. But anyone considering carrying a gun in their pocket is in desperate need for a SD course. Get that now. There's a million ways to get screwed carrying and only a few ways to mitigate those so get some FN training now. Every round you release in a SD shoot costs you $50K. Get carry insurance too. A solid holster and printed shirts work fine for most. The LCR is my "dress" gun for times when carrying a full size is impractical. I carry at 3 o'clock but that's a personal choice based on comfort & speed.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I am a Glock person through and through from my academy time to when I was in law enforcement and was a certified armorer for our tiny dept. I am envious of my wife's G43 (not X) and carry it when she is not. My standard is a g30 IWB at about 4o'clock. When I was in LE I carried that same pistol left side "appendix" carry in a right hand holster. This was very comfortable and matched the thickness of my vest so it was easily concealed. G21 in my duty holster. I will buy another G43 when I am able because I want the ability to tailor the grip length to my attire by choosing an appropriate mag butt plate. The 43x is very svelte and I am sure lovely.

I cannot carry appendix well in my mind because I think it is blatantly obvious. Anywhere else, and I am convinced nobody notices or cares one wink, and folks should most be concerned about "printing" meaning their actions or fiddling. Any regular Joe isn't going to be eyeing you up along with every other person they encounter to see what might be concealed but printing. Most people can't even tell you what color the shirt was of the other people in line with them at the grocery store.

People do get uneasy with others acting suspect by doing things out of the ordinary like fiddlefarting with their belt and pistol. So act like your are wiping with your right hand and have done it a million times, and don't act like you are wiping with your left hand and are scared of a big mess.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Someone noted earlier, that I've mentioned owning other pistols. My line up right now is a 5" Ruger SBH (chest carry, bears only) AMT .380 (truck/boat gun, simply because it's all stainless) RIA M206 (nightstand gun) & an NAA .22mag (also in my truck)

These pistols all serve a specific purpose. The NAA, yeah. I could pocket carry it, but 5 rounds of .22 mag is more of a "hey, does this thing make a noise" get off me option. I love it & in the truck, it's easy to access (clipped to the sun visor) in case of a total tard trying to jack a 24 year old truck that just SCREAMS "I'm not afraid to go back to jail"

The AMT is a beautiful little thing. It's absolutely a work of art. But it weighs, like, 2lb & for a six shot .380? No. The sights are almost literally non existent. I only own this because I spend a good amount of time in saltwater marshes hog hunting & believe me, walking up on a 9' gator is a lot more common than you'd think. Also, south Georgia, north Florida meth heads are a genuine concern. It lives in my truck, but I've carried it in an OWB holster & it's not fun.

The .44 is, well, a 3lb .44. You couldn't conceal it in a briefcase.

The RIA is my one handgun love. It's smooth, accurate, easy to shoot & eats everything I've ever fed it. But as a concealed carry piece? I feel like it's just a little bulky & six shots (i know most encounters are half that) doesn't give me the confidence that 8+ would.

I guess i'm looking at a simple fix here. Something that's going to perfectly fit a different role.

I'm also not discounting the fact that I'm possibly just looking for an excuse to fill a slot in my safe. More guns.... right?!

I'll openly admit, i'm nervous about carrying concealed. I've either carried very openly on my chest in the mountains, or in an issued drop leg rig (🤮) Coming from a country where carrying a sidearm is completely alien, the thought of being able to do it is giving me an emotional response im kinda not used to. Nervous excited, y'know?

I haven't had the opportunity to try the 365XL, but I've shot the standard version with both the 10 & 12 round mags (I actually preferred the 10 with the flat plate), the Glock 43, 43x & 48 & I really liked the 43x. Honestly, I think i'd prefer the 365. It felt better in my hand, even though I have pretty big hands. I shot it better & doing a few multi target, rapid fire drills (not drawing from a holster) it came to my eye & pointed more instinctively than the Glock. The controls felt more intuitive than the Glock, but i found the Glock mags dropped more easily. Not sure if that's really a consideration, just something I noticed.

I'm booked to do an 8hr defensive pistol class in a couple of weeks (i'm borrowing a G19 for that) & i'm going to continue training, practicing & getting instruction as often as I can afford. If nothing else, I just really enjoy learning different shooting disciplines & you can never learn to much!

Thanks for all the help, pointers & advice so far! Fyi, i do own a couple of actual gun belts. One very stiff leather & one webbing. I don't recall the marks, but I bought them so I could OWB my .44 when I head west. Before I discovered how much better i like a chest rig.

Last edited:
That I remember.... You can't get a Glock 48 in our state... unless you hunt for a Private Party transfer from somebody moving into the state. And usually they want a bit above list price since there is that demand.
Correct. But there are several legal ways to get off roster stuff.

TheGDog

WKR
You wanna be happy with it? Take some time to clearly define your parameters!!!

First thing... decide cartridge and minimum round count you're willing to accept.

Develop good idea for overall size you're willing to accept.

Where CAN you actually comfortably wear it? (I mention this because wearing belts rt now hurts me due to a lower back issue, for example)

Does the model you're considering at least have available for it the types of sights you MOST prefer? (Especially if you have Vision issues. Remember, you might not always have opportunity to grab for your glasses!)

Do you want a "one and done" choice? Or do you accept that you will likely end up acquiring a few different choices to adapt to different situations of clothing or set-and-setting.

If you're willing to go a little on the big side... a G29 will handle hunting backup chores and then everything else too. But IMO a little on the big side for CCW.

For visual reference on the sizes of weapons compared to each other... and your new favorite time-waster...

goto www.handgunhero.com

and use their feature for visually comparing different models of weapons super-imposed on top of each other. It's really freakin' cool.

Please do share!
Law enforcement can buy off roster handguns new. So if an LEO buys a glock 48, he can legally sell it private party to a non LEO if he chooses. Same goes for family transfers from out of state relatives. It can be legally transfered to a CA resident from a non resident relative that meets the family transfer criteria with the DOJ.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Law enforcement can buy off roster handguns new. So if an LEO buys a glock 48, he can legally sell it private party to a non LEO if he chooses. Same goes for family transfers from out of state relatives. It can be legally transfered to a CA resident from a non resident relative that meets the family transfer criteria with the DOJ.

Jeeez..... Have y'all, like, considered moving? I'm not a citizen & it seems like it's simpler for ME to buy, own & carry than for you guys!

Whole west coast sucks but cali is hands down the worst lol. And rob, the 12 rd mag sits flush in the xl FYI. The only size difference is the grip length, rear dovetail is smaller and the front of the slide is flush on the p365 instead of sticking out a little like the xl. I think you can buy a special plate to use the 10 rd mags in the xl but thats of no interest to me. I got an extended mag release and its a massive improvement too. The holosun red dot is awesome

Attachments

• 20210407_141359.jpg
    20210407_141359.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210407_141418.jpg
    20210407_141418.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Holy cow poo! That's literally the first photo I've seen of the XL with a flush mag, rather than an extended. Robbie like! Not a fan of the red dot, if I'm honest. Nothing against the things, I have 2 long guns + a shotgun that wear them, I just don't want to have to deal with batteries. I'm a simple guy who likes simple shit. The less I have to think about or mess with, the more likely I am to use it.

My local indoor range had the standard 365, the XL & the G43X available to try, side by side, so I'm taking a run over there this Saturday.

I hear ya, i always kinda scoffed at them on pistols and i agree with your line of thinking for edc. My buddy got a bul armory ultralite with a red dot and i actually really liked shooting it so i ordered this one. At least the holosun doesn't have to come off the gun to change the battery, it slides in the side and has shake awake mode so it turns off after not moving for 10 mins. Supposed to last 10k hours average in shake awake mode, we will see. Plus it has that little notch you can use to cowitness if it takes a shit for whatever reason. I think i will put it on this other slide when i get it back cause thats what i planned on doing and will leave the factory rear sights on the xl slide for edc. Just wanted to mount it and try it out lol

Attachments

• 20210329_163524.jpg
    20210329_163524.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 28
Jeeez..... Have y'all, like, considered moving? I'm not a citizen & it seems like it's simpler for ME to buy, own & carry than for you guys!
4 years or less, we’ll be Idaho bound. Just google CA DOJ handgun roster if you want your mind blown about how ridiculous things are here.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
So, I managed to scour up a really, really clean standard 365 that comes with an extra XL frame. It's shipping from Colorado to my ffl next week!

Next question: I know it's subjective, but what's y'all's opinion on best comfort/concealable carry position?

My intuition is hitting 50/50 2 o'clock/4 o'clock IWB. I'm guessing i'll need to just try it & test drive a few holsters until I find my deal, but if anyone has a shortcut idea in mind, well, i'm all ears. Again, kinda hefty, love-handle-ey figure. (Not flabby, beer gutty, just middle aged-ey)

TheGDog

WKR
So, I managed to scour up a really, really clean standard 365 that comes with an extra XL frame. It's shipping from Colorado to my ffl next week!

Next question: I know it's subjective, but what's y'all's opinion on best comfort/concealable carry position?

My intuition is hitting 50/50 2 o'clock/4 o'clock IWB. I'm guessing i'll need to just try it & test drive a few holsters until I find my deal, but if anyone has a shortcut idea in mind, well, i'm all ears. Again, kinda hefty, love-handle-ey figure. (Not flabby, beer gutty, just middle aged-ey)
Doing a reply since these size dimensions also apply in my case and would like to hear others suggestions.

Buy you one, put the .22 mag cylinder in the things, stick it in your pocket and call it a day.

Nobody wants to get shot with a .22 magnum...

CO-AJ

WKR
Numerous great opinions on here. Personally I started with a S&W Shield and decided I wanted more capacity so I now carry a G19. Love it. I am 5-11 and about 180, normally carry between 3 and 4. The gun height is a bit larger, so I have to be a bit careful if I were to lean over. I carry in just a Kydex IWB holster. I am used to that hard plastic and Glock polymer being against my skin. I started with a N8 Squared holster which was very comfortable, but I felt it made both the Shield and the Glock "print" more due to the extra material around the gun. Crossbreed is a holster I have not tried, but it gets great reviews for comfort.

CO-AJ

WKR
Both of those are good choices. Don't limit yourself though.

After going through a bunch of carry guns, I've gravitated to the S&W 642. Dead easy to carry in a pants or jacket pocket- lightweight and no holster required. It'll probably print in tight jeans or speedos, but in typical business casual khakis or cargo shorts...easy to drop it in the deep pockets and roll on.

No hammer to snag, and I can shoot it right through the jacket pocket if need be.

I've just found that for people to really carry frequently, it's got to be comfortable and convenient. A 5 shot .38 in your pocket is far better than a 1911 in your glovebox or stuck in the nightstand at home.
Carry all the time or don't carry at all. I have left the house before forgetting my cell phone, but I have never left the home and forgot my concealed carry.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I see you’ve made your purchase, so this may be a bit late. I own and carry the P365, and absolutely love it. However, I agree, any sort of IWB/appendix carry isn’t that comfortable to me. I picked up a Used Ruger LCP for $99 at a local shop and honestly, I carry that more than anything. I have a pocket holster for it and it looks just like a wallet. If I’m being honest, I would much prefer the size, accuracy, and capacity of the 365 should I ever need it, but I am fully confident that the LCP will work if need be, and I actually carry it. That’s more important than capacity, caliber, or anything else. Sure, something may be a great carry gun in theory, but if it’s not comfortable, and you’re not going to actually carry it, it’s useless. I carry the P365 if I’m going somewhere that has me slightly more on edge than normal (large crowds in a public place for example), and I carry my LCP when I’m going to buy groceries.

yojo.3

FNG
Just throwing out my 2 pennies. Ive carried several different pistols. 1911, glock, full size xd sub compact and revolvers of different sizes. I usually just have a belt holster on my right hip because im too cheap to buy a nice iwb holster. But i always remember this - you dont carry a pistol to feel comfortable. you carry a pistol to feel comfortable.