Cartridge for youth

gatr

FNG
First time posting here. My small 12 year old nephew wants a rifle for Christmas. I was thinking about a 243 but I’d like some opinions. I’m worried a 6.5 cm might be too much

Taudisio

WKR
What is he going to be shooting? I suspect deer, a 6.5 creed with a muzzlebrake should be fine. 243/6 creed with a brake should be easier. 6arc/6.5gren are powderpuffs. How small is he? I started hunting with a 12 gauge and a 270 when I was younger than him. Dad didn’t have anything smaller so that’s what I got until I bought my own.

OP
G

gatr

FNG
He lives in Florida. Small white tail and hogs. He’s a short skinny kid but I want it to be something he can shoot as he grows

MTdan

FNG
No personal experience with them, but the Howa mini action rifles in 6mm ARC are very interesting looking for a youth rifle.

My wife shoots a .243 and I think it's the noise that bothers her more than the recoil.

First, let the nephew tell you what his recoil tolerance threshold is. Easy to find out: take him to the range and let him tell you what he can handle. Do not poison the well by telling him this one is brutal, this one will break your shoulder, etc. Seen enough douche bags at the range that are teaching others to shoot.

Second, just grab a 6 CM/6.5 CM/7mm-08 and put a Limbsaver on it. Then buy or develop "reduced recoil" ammo for him to shoot for the time being. Then over time he can transition to regular ammo.

OP
G

gatr

FNG
First, let the nephew tell you what his recoil tolerance threshold is. Easy to find out: take him to the range and let him tell you what he can handle. Do not poison the well by telling him this one is brutal, this one will break your shoulder, etc. Seen enough douche bags at the range that are teaching others to shoot.

Second, just grab a 6 CM/6.5 CM/7mm-08 and put a Limbsaver on it. Then buy or develop "reduced recoil" ammo for him to shoot for the time being. Then over time he can transition to regular ammo.

That’s really good advice. I didn’t even think about reduced loads

WRO

WKR
6creed it’ll be legal in every state where as the 223 is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
6creed it’ll be legal in every state where as the 223 is not.

6 creed would be an excellent choice if for some reason you don’t want 6 ARC. Anything bigger is simply unnecessary and will most probably lead to a flinch. I’d make ammo pricing the determining factor.

Trr15

WKR
Started my 12 yr old out this season with a .308. Seemed like a caliber that would give us a lot of flexibility (coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, bear, etc). He’s a little guy (only 85lbs) and managed it just fine after a number of range sessions. Didn’t bother with reduced recoil loads. I struggled with the caliber decision as well but it worked out for us.