Cartridge for youth

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think a 223 shooting TMKs, ELD-Ms, or Federal Fusions is a great option.

If the caliber make you, him, or his dad uncomfortable, than something 6mm, such as 6 ARC or 6 Creedmoor.

The 223 will let him shoot more due to cheaper ammo and much, much better barrel life than a 6 CM or a .243. Don't know how the barrel life is on the 6 ARC, but given its powder capacity and bore size it is probably not too bad.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That’s more pages than most books!
Its a ridiculously long read that will steal way too much time you can never get back. Mostly a mind numbing read. Grown men theorizing and arguing about calibers or ballistics is always nonsense. May as well argue politics. Just avoid it. Its a silly topic and thread.

243 is great for kids/teens.
And also- good for you trying to set up a kid for success. Giving a kid wrong equipment in any sport makes it more likely theyll turn away from it. Its gotta be a fun time

Phillipsmikes

FNG
Classified Approved
First time posting here. My small 12 year old nephew wants a rifle for Christmas. I was thinking about a 243 but I’d like some opinions. I’m worried a 6.5 cm might be too much
7mm-08. Can buy reduced loads or handload. Throwing that out there as an option.

OP
G

gatr

FNG
I appreciate all the feedback! Lots to consider. I killed my first deer with a .243 so it’s nostalgic for me, but want the best option for him

eric1115

WKR
Father of 6 (ages 3-14 currently). I've made (and corrected) some mistakes along the way.

I firmly believe that anything 6.5 CM and up is more than most kids should shoot for best results and building of good skills as a rifleman. "Able to handle it" is not the same as "best setup to learn and grow with".

I am 100% convinced that brakes and kids are a bad combination.

First tier options are Tikka .223 or maybe Howa mini in 6mm ARC. Big bonus points for suppressor with either setup. Tikka compact is easy, Howa will take more work to set up for a small shooter. Both are cheap to feed and great to shoot.

Second tier is a .243 or 6mm CM, though I would very much recommend a can if you go this route.

If you are set up to support something like a 6 Dasher or 22 BR you already know where they sit in this lineup so I'll leave them alone.

I'll reiterate, anything with 120+ grain bullets on top of 40+ grains of powder is a lot for a kid to shoot without developing bad habits (even a brave one who might even enjoy it). 6.5CM, 7mm-08, etc (even with reduced recoil loads) are more than I'd give a 12 year old kid (especially if small for his age).

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
My 9 year old daughter shoots an unbraked 6.5 cm very well. But a 6.5 cm, .243, and 6 cm are all very similar in recoil.

Jbuck

FNG
I have boys who are 7 and 12 now. The one prefers a brake over the suppressor and the other preferred suppressed. Neither one has a problem with the 6.5cm in heavy'ish rifles. But my 12yo just got a howa mini in grendel and both of them really like that gun. It's a 22" sporter without a brake or supressor.

The 223 has no equal for kids. Even so, with a large suppressor, my 70# son still gets visibly jarred by the recoil. I watched a ~12 year old girl beside us at the range a couple of weeks ago, she was getting thrashed by a 6.5 creed with a radial brake. Her dad couldn't figure out why 2 shots would be close and the third way out, even though it was obvious that it was just too much gun for her. Not surprisingly, she kept trying to put the creed down and grab the 22lr.

Kids, especially small kids, need protected from recoil to develop good shooting fundamentals. Fortunately, tmk and eld bullets make the 223 a reliable killer.

OP
G

gatr

FNG
Father of 6 (ages 3-14 currently). I've made (and corrected) some mistakes along the way.

I firmly believe that anything 6.5 CM and up is more than most kids should shoot for best results and building of good skills as a rifleman. "Able to handle it" is not the same as "best setup to learn and grow with".

I am 100% convinced that brakes and kids are a bad combination.

First tier options are Tikka .223 or maybe Howa mini in 6mm ARC. Big bonus points for suppressor with either setup. Tikka compact is easy, Howa will take more work to set up for a small shooter. Both are cheap to feed and great to shoot.

Second tier is a .243 or 6mm CM, though I would very much recommend a can if you go this route.

If you are set up to support something like a 6 Dasher or 22 BR you already know where they sit in this lineup so I'll leave them alone.

I'll reiterate, anything with 120+ grain bullets on top of 40+ grains of powder is a lot for a kid to shoot without developing bad habits (even a brave one who might even enjoy it). 6.5CM, 7mm-08, etc (even with reduced recoil loads) are more than I'd give a 12 year old kid (especially if small for his age).
Why do you think brakes are bad for kids?

CC55

FNG
The 223 thread is massive, I'd just go through it for the carnage/terminal ballistics and avoid the politics. I'd hit the easy button and get a 223 in the combo everyone suggests: Tikka/SWFA/UM rings/77 TMK.

Getting something he can "grow into" is great from a logistics point of view, but you mess with the prime learning period where habits are formed. You can always upgrade and the Tikka will sell in about 10 minutes on here if you ever want to.

Not a fan of brakes for most either. Muzzle blast/sound/debris flying is rougher than recoil sometimes and tough to make it truly "hearing safe" in the field.

Jbuck

FNG
I think it'll be best expose them to options and let them decide. My two kids have different opinions on noise vs recoil reduction.

Start kids right: Low recoil (.223), low noise (suppressed), and fit the gun to them. Where legal and with the right projectile, this isn't even a debate. AR-15 is king in this regard, but there are many bolt-actions with compact and adjustable stocks/chassis. Once they hit late teens/early 20s, they will know more than anyone else, go down the rabbit hole of different rifles and cartridges, and ultimately return to their first deer gun in .223. And when they do, it'll be 100-percent their idea and they will wonder why you never thought about shooting deer with a .223!