Celeb Hunters Posting Unit/Location

Moneyball

WKR
Saw a social media post by a celeb hunter/archer that many of you have probably seen. Great 7x7 bull. However, he posted the unit/zone he hunted. I’m all good with being proud of your accomplishment, but I am sure there is going to be a flood of applications next year because of it. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
I'm not familiar with the unit, but I'm betting he was on private

and I agree...I wish people would quit posting locations

twall13

WKR
I don't know who you are referring to but if it's a limited entry unit I guess I don't see the problem. Maybe that's my tainted perspective coming from Utah where a limited entry tag is getting to be a once or twice in a lifetime tag. I guess it could effect the draw odds for a year but I can't see it affecting hunting pressure or even draw odds long term.

If we are talking about a general season unit then yes, I see the problem with it, and I think it's getting worse, not better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
What if a newspaper article about a bear attack posts the specific ridge where folks were hunting?

:eek::ROFLMAO: (All joking aside, this is scary stuff and I'm glad that it did not turn out worse than it did.)

Reminds me of Rinella when he posted a WA draw unit he shot a big bull in, meanwhile he had moved to Montana.

I don’t even hunt or live in WA, and I knew about the area he hunted in long before he said anything about it. And I think any serious elk hunter in the country has already heard of them

Last edited:
I sheep hunt in the area where BOTH Randy Newberg and Tim Burnett came out with hunting videos. It made me want to puke. I went from maybe seeing one other group in there during opening week to seeing 8 groups this year. I did see the guide that hosted them is paying for his sins as both his hunters this year were skunked.

It’s unfortunately how it works with these social media folks hunting in places they have nothing invested in

jmez

WKR
I actually find it funny when hunters get upset about this kind of thing.

There are no secret spots on public land.

And if it is a limited draw unit the same number of guys will be in it next year as this year. If you have enough points to draw it a bunch of first year applicants don't decrease your odds.

If its a general unit, I don't see guys that had to find a spot by listening to podcasts and reading the internet as competition.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

There used to be some draw units that flew under the radar for the most part. Draw every year or every other year and then too many people blabbed listing locations even within the units. Now they take several points to draw and LO vouchers are selling for $5k. So ya........these kinds of things do change the demand on these areas.

OP
M

Moneyball

WKR
There used to be some draw units that flew under the radar for the most part. Draw every year or every other year and then too many people blabbed listing locations even within the units. Now they take several points to draw and LO vouchers are selling for $5k. So ya........these kinds of things do change the demand on these areas.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if it is a limited draw unit the same number of guys will be in it next year as this year. If you have enough points to draw it a bunch of first year applicants don't decrease your odds.

If its a general unit, I don't see guys that had to find a spot by listening to podcasts and reading the internet as competition.

Do you understand how bonus points work? It doesn't seem so based upon your first point. Even if it takes multiple points in a preference point state people who have been on the sidelines for years buying points are free to change which unit they apply and frequently do. I'm not locked on a single unit in any of the states i'm accruing points.

Sure, a less experienced hunter might have a smaller chance at killing the bigger bulls than a seasoned killer but someone with plenty of ambition and enough fitness hunting your same area can impact your success.

No secrets, just spots that have less demand/competition for tags and animals prior to them being broadcasted by people with 10s or 100s of thousands of followers.

Oddly enough, the outfitter said celebrity tagged in his post has no advertisement of hunts in the state the elk was said to be in.