Celeb Hunters Posting Unit/Location

jmez

WKR
Yes I understand bonus points. Was posting in regards to preference points. Even with bonus points, the more you have the better your odds. If you've been sitting on the sidelines and accumulated a bunch of points, preference or bonus, and then go burn them on a lesser unit because you read about it on the internet. Enjoy that.

We just see it differently. I don't concern myself with other hunters and pressure. It's public land and I have no more right to be there than anyone else. The number of times I have been there gives me no special right or privilege to anything. I've seen hunter numbers go up in all the places I hunt. The last few years been hunting an area with extreme pressure, both hunters and recreational users. I'm happy to see others out enjoying the outdoors as I am.

I don't let others dictate what kind of experience that I have. I go hunt elk and have a great time doing it every year.

Yes I understand bonus points. Was posting in regards to preference points. Even with bonus points, the more you have the better your odds. If you've been sitting on the sidelines and accumulated a bunch of points, preference or bonus, and then go burn them on a lesser unit because you read about it on the internet. Enjoy that.

We just see it differently. I don't concern myself with other hunters and pressure. It's public land and I have no more right to be there than anyone else. The number of times I have been there gives me no special right or privilege to anything. I've seen hunter numbers go up in all the places I hunt. The last few years been hunting an area with extreme pressure, both hunters and recreational users. I'm happy to see others out enjoying the outdoors as I am.

I don't let others dictate what kind of experience that I have. I go hunt elk and have a great time doing it every year.

I commend you for your positive attitude.

I'll maintain that given the option to choose between an area i'm hunting having average pressure or it being more crowded due to social media exposure, the choice is pretty easy. It being "everyone's" land wouldn't make me feel better about negating what some have worked years to discover by oversharing.

Jauwater

WKR
Yeah, I'm the kinda guy to do my own thing regardless of what I hear or what success comes from an area. I wanna go where I wanna go, and throughly enjoy the experience just getting out. So it never draws my attention when I hear about people sharing spots. I guess I kinda get it, though. In my mind, I don't mind being pushed out from hunter pressure, and finding a new area, and making it work. Giving new areas a try to me is exciting. The unknown keeps me on edge, feeling alive. Guess it's just my personality. I'm a bit of a nomad as it is. Don't get me wrong, I understand how it could be frustrating. If I had fewer things to worry about in life maybe It would bother me. Maybe as I get older it'll become a Pet peeve of mine

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I’m assuming most who flock to an area due to celeb success are newbies for the most part? Most seasoned hunters know better than to drink that kool aid.

Celeb hunters have all the advantages that most average guy’s don’t, from outfitter help, locals scouting for them, access to private land and on and on... For an average guy to walk into a unit they’ve never hunted before & expect to get the same results as the celeb hunters with all their resources is unrealistic.

Although, I’m sure that doesn’t stop the short term pressure on an area, wether that’s boots on the ground pressure or application pressure. It’s probably short lived?

I get it. I also look at it as the places I currently hunt were all someone else's spots before I found them.
This very simple concept seems to escape all these disgruntled “old hands” that constantly shake their fist in the air “he’s giving away my spot!”. This non stop complaining about this same subject is getting pretty old. Seems we have a “soap opera” crowd here.

Bighorner

WKR
It dawned on me last night that if your spot gets shared on the internet, it must not have been just your spot.

People google every little part of their life for guidance from the all knowing interent. Why would hunting be any morally guareded than an another problem in bed, kid that won't listen, or car that makes a thump but only on left turns. If you feel the need to look for an elk hunting cheat code to get and "edge" have at. I can't stop you.

A good mentor will always beat a good "internet/ e-scout spot" anyhow. No matter what your pod cast tells you.

Gobbler36

WKR
I actually find it funny when hunters get upset about this kind of thing.

There are no secret spots on public land.
What a crock of shit, yeah there aren’t any secret spots but if you don’t think listing areas on a YouTube channel or Instagram with hundreds of thousands of viewers or followers isn’t going to increase traffic to an area or increase amount of people putting in for a draw then you are mistaken.
Hell randy Newberg doing ******* how to apply in the West videos and everyone needs to come hunt out west because it’s public land videos are now feeling the effects of that more.

which is ironic because after these celebs invite everyone out they are always groaning on their tv shows when they see another hunter.... withhow they act they should go shake that guys hand and put the them on the elkin that area

Zzyzx

FNG
I think most of the celeb hunters have caught on and know not to identify units.

Until last year, NV posted names and units of all successful tagholders. Thankfully. That finally stopped.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I actually find it funny when hunters get upset about this kind of thing.

There are no secret spots on public land.

I find it funny when people don’t understand point creep. While there aren’t any “secret” spots, there are plenty of spots that can be hunted every 1-3 years. Someone starts talking about success in said spot and it doesn’t take long for the applications in that specific unit to skyrocket making a 1-3 year wait double in a year. @robby denning said something like 10k unique IP address log into rokslide daily. Feel free to correct my if I’m wrong. Even if .5% of those are looking for a unit that’s 50 people a day considering a unit. Doesn’t take long to impact point creep dramatically. So enough with the “there are no secret spots“ BS.

sndmn11

WKR
I find it funny when people don’t understand point creep. While there aren’t any “secret” spots, there are plenty of spots that can be hunted every 1-3 years. Someone starts talking about success in said spot and it doesn’t take long for the applications in that specific unit to skyrocket making a 1-3 year wait double in a year. @robby denning said something like 10k unique IP address log into rokslide daily. Feel free to correct my if I’m wrong. Even if .5% of those are looking for a unit that’s 50 people a day considering a unit. Doesn’t take long to impact point creep dramatically. So enough with the “there are no secret spots“ BS.

If those units are increasing in applications, then those applicants are coming from other units or applications in that state are increasing at an statistically equal rate to the unit in question. Heck, point creep happens even when the same number of applicants remains constant in most units. I am also pretty certain there are OTC and leftover limited licenses still available as we speak....even OTC list B licenses, go lay the smack down on TWO archery elks.

Being a resident in Colorado, I would be happy to see a surge of resident hunting applications regardless of what they are applying for. At the end of the draw, there are still the same number of successful applicants.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If those units are increasing in applications, then those applicants are coming from other units or applications in that state are increasing at an statistically equal rate to the unit in question. Heck, point creep happens even when the same number of applicants remains constant in most units. I am also pretty certain there are OTC and leftover limited licenses still available as we speak....even OTC list B licenses, go lay the smack down on TWO archery elks.

Being a resident in Colorado, I would be happy to see a surge of resident hunting applications regardless of what they are applying for. At the end of the draw, there are still the same number of successful applicants.

I don’t follow. Why would you want an increase in applicants? The more applicants the less chance of drawing a tag. Of course there are the same number of successful applicants. That’s the problem. Demand increases (sometimes artificially due to spot burners) but the supply stays the same.

also, they aren’t necessarily coming from different units. The number of new hunters in the West is exploding. I believe most hunters that have been doing it for a while have their specific areas, most of the new hunters are the ones looking online for a “hot” spot.

Being from Colorado, how are you not understanding the implications of what you’re suggesting?

Gobbler36

WKR
Exactly
This post also belongs to the general thread “spot burners”