Chains for CO Archery?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That road to the battlements is a truck killer. Don’t be afraid to turn around and bail. Three trips up there, Jeep and 68 bronco. Vehicle damage every time, and not cosmetic damage.

We always took the '46 Willy's up there. It wasn't a problem until we got to the mudhole in the middle of the Aspens near the top, where there was no way around it years ago. That hole almost swallowed up that small Willy's. I put a stick in it and it was 4 feet deep.

bat-cave

WKR
FWIW as another F-150 owner, there are quite a few threads on various Truck/Ford forums about clearance issues and chains ... choose wisely. I personally haven't had the need and have spent my fair share of time on snowy backcountry roads in the winter. Yes, I have gotten stock a few times .. but some shoveling and tracgrabbers have been enough for all but one instance. For that one I got lucky and got a tug!

11boo

WKR
Thanks for the heads up, I assumer youre talking about the "battlement Jeep" trail that accesses the mesa from the north and dumps out at reservoirs 3, 4, and 5? I was already wary of that because it had "jeep" after it.

what did yall break? axles or oil pans or what? just curios. I'm looking at more accessing the area from the south, either buzzard creek road, or 586 and driving till vehicle access ends, then taking the ATVs up to the 2527 trail and hiking off to the mesa or the woods off of the <50" trails.
yep, the battlement Jeep trail.

68 Bronco tore a shock mount off once, popped a fuel tank once. The Jeep just shredded a sidewall on a tire.

11boo

WKR
We always took the '46 Willy's up there. It wasn't a problem until we got to the mudhole in the middle of the Aspens near the top, where there was no way around it years ago. That hole almost swallowed up that small Willy's. I put a stick in it and it was 4 feet deep.
I bet I know exactly which one. One year there was a old land cruiser stuck in it. No one around at all. Looked like it had been there at least a couple days so we kept going to the lakes. When we came out a week later it was gone, and I did not go through it, went around it.

Phaseolus

WKR
Thanks for the heads up, I assumer youre talking about the "battlement Jeep" trail that accesses the mesa from the north and dumps out at reservoirs 3, 4, and 5? I was already wary of that because it had "jeep" after it.

what did yall break? axles or oil pans or what? just curios. I'm looking at more accessing the area from the south, either buzzard creek road, or 586 and driving till vehicle access ends, then taking the ATVs up to the 2527 trail and hiking off to the mesa or the woods off of the <50" trails.
I hate that road, I even hate it with my atv. I like the fishing but I hate that road. It’s even more fun when it gets wet or has snow on it. If you hate your truck, take it up that road.

11boo

WKR
Cottonwoods?
Heading from Cottonwood cr to Bull basin. Near Nick. How that guy got that far in an Excursion I don’t know. But that was it for him, he twisted his rear driveshaft off. Took two jeeps and three atvs and a bunch of jacking/cribbing to get him out, the other Jeep gave them a ride back to GJ and he was supposed to come back with parts. Had his wife and a 2 year old in there. For 10 hours.

11boo

WKR
I hate that road, I even hate it with my atv. I like the fishing but I hate that road. It’s even more fun when it gets wet or has snow on it. If you hate your truck, take it up that road.

My last trip up was a few years back in my Jeep. I should have turned around when I ripped out the sidewall , but changed it, made it to the lake and had about 90 minutes of really great fishing, then it seemed like god was mad at me. Lightning way to close, hail, rain snow. Somehow made it up the bad climb out, but that was the easy part. I really needed my CHAINS! But , they were in GJ, shouldn’t need chains in August, right?

There were small streams forming in the trail going down. It was so slick I couldn’t steer around the million big rocks you need to avoid. Lost track of how many times we had to use the come along and shovel. We left the lake at about 3:30 and I got to GJ at 0100.

I still want to go back for some reason. Might go in my new SxS, or hike but I’ll never take the Jeep up there again.

Phaseolus

WKR
Heading from Cottonwood cr to Bull basin. Near Nick. How that guy got that far in an Excursion I don’t know. But that was it for him, he twisted his rear driveshaft off. Took two jeeps and three atvs and a bunch of jacking/cribbing to get him out, the other Jeep gave them a ride back to GJ and he was supposed to come back with parts. Had his wife and a 2 year old in there. For 10 hours.

Yup, that’s where I guessed. That trail can be a mess.

Phaseolus

WKR
My last trip up was a few years back in my Jeep. I should have turned around when I ripped out the sidewall , but changed it, made it to the lake and had about 90 minutes of really great fishing, then it seemed like god was mad at me. Lightning way to close, hail, rain snow. Somehow made it up the bad climb out, but that was the easy part. I really needed my CHAINS! But , they were in GJ, shouldn’t need chains in August, right?

There were small streams forming in the trail going down. It was so slick I couldn’t steer around the million big rocks you need to avoid. Lost track of how many times we had to use the come along and shovel. We left the lake at about 3:30 and I got to GJ at 0100.

I still want to go back for some reason. Might go in my new SxS, or hike but I’ll never take the Jeep up there again.
I had my Wife drop me at the bomb blast site a couple of years ago and walked to Collbran where She picked me up after two nights. That was much more pleasant.