“Cheap” rifles can be awesome/fun rifles too!

Wanted to remind everyone that “cheap” rifles can be fun too!

A while back, I got caught up into somewhat high dollar rifle setups. Between the rifle, scope and suppressor, I have $3700 into my 308. Had to have a new barrel put on it by the manufacture after trying 12+ boxes of different ammo and I’m still struggling to find something that rifle likes.

The other day I bought a ruger American predator 22-250 on a whim due to a local sale, first day out with the rifle with two different boxes of factory ammo, both under 1 moa at 100 yards while shooting prone in sub freezing weather! But the trigger could use some tweaking (trigger travel right before it goes off and lowest trigger weight possible with factory trigger is 3.4lbs)

Makes me rethink what makes a fun/good rifle... To me it’s a rifle that shoots where I aim and does it consistently, the need for a pretty stock/barrel/action all comes second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
Id rather put a crazy priced aftermarket trigger and stock on a known tack driver than spend an insane price on one that isnt...

Id rather put a crazy priced aftermarket trigger and stock on a known tack driver than spend an insane price on one that isnt...
Yeah, that's what I'm working on rn. I bought a used Ruger American in 7mm-08 for stupid cheap. I bought a Timney trigger and about to get the Magpul hunter stock and ill have a pretty sweet rig for the price. Accurate af too... I'm stoked to see what its all about when complete

It took a whole 4 posts for a Tikka guy to show up. Must have taken Veterans day off...🤣
ETA: if I could get a Tikka with the same profile and repeatability as my predator I would probably buy it. I know they shoot great but as the OP stated, there is more fun in it when its cheap.

There's more products out there to catch fishermen than there are to catch fish.

I learned my lesson the hard way, but on fishing gear- obviously. It's hard not to buy into the hype though. But I agree, and I usually end up having more fun with the lower priced items anyway... I don't cry when they get scratched, etc.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old surplus British 303 that my brother bought me as my first deer rifle many moons ago. I would be surprised if it cost more than $120.

I was shooting it today out to 200 yards and it still shoots great.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a "new unfired" Savage Axis youth off the classified for $270 CAD. I topped it with a 3-9x40 Burris E1 that I got on sale for $200. And its held on with Talley lightwieghts. So $540 Canadian for the whole set up. I did have to tune up the trigger and got it down to 3lbs. This rifle was easy to work up loads for. I was able to get 120 TTSX, 140 Accubonds, 130 Speers to all shoot MOA. My brother used that combo this year to take a caribou at 485 yards.

ddrZRyD.jpg

ericwh

WKR
The Ruger AP I handled actually had a pretty decent feeling action compared to a lot of other stuff... the twist rate on the 7mm-08 is intriguing.

I read the magazine is a bit short inside? Other than a chassis what are the options for increasing COAL for a long bullet?

I had 4 American rugers and down to two. Someone stole my safe out of my camp house.
i had sworaski glass on a two. The rifles just plane shoot. I have one .308 that is set up with hms sub sonic hunting loads. Ill head shoot deer with it and the other dont even look up.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I have one in 6 creedmoor that's definitely my most consistent shooter. Shoots pretty much anything I load for it MOA or better, easily sub MOA when I do my part. YouTube Ruger American trigger job. You can snip 2 coils off the spring, grind it flat, and adjust it (safely) as low as you want. Does wonders and is free.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many jokes on tikkas it makes me laugh🤙 To each their own but my 2003 tikka for $500 bucks has a basement full of racks to say they simply perform.....🔫💥...

Last edited:

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
My first rifle when I was 12 was a basic synthetic model 70 in 3006 for $300 plus $50 trigger polishing. The barrell and action fit super tight in the stock and is the opposite of bedded and free floated. Fast forward 20 years and it's still my best shooting rifle, just killed a buck, doe, and alot of hogs last week. Only improvement was a rattle can paint job. If a rifle shoots, keep it.

OP
T
I have one in 6 creedmoor that's definitely my most consistent shooter. Shoots pretty much anything I load for it MOA or better, easily sub MOA when I do my part. YouTube Ruger American trigger job. You can snip 2 coils off the spring, grind it flat, and adjust it (safely) as low as you want. Does wonders and is free.

I’ve seen that... I’m on the side of the fence that wants triggers to be as safe as possible so I’m not sure if I want to attempt that even with how easy it is. I’m sure I can do it but don’t want to chance a bump fire or something due to tampering with the trigger.

I’ve been considering a timney trigger for the rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
So many jokes on tikkas it makes me laugh🤙 To each their own but my 2003 tikka for $500 bucks has a basement full of racks to say they simply perform.....🔫💥...
I don't own one but never gonna bash a gun that will reliably go bang and hit where i'm aiming at. If the action isn't so rough it makes it a single shot all the better. People spend a lot more and get a lot less than that.

Loper

WKR
I bought a "new unfired" Savage Axis youth off the classified for $270 CAD. I topped it with a 3-9x40 Burris E1 that I got on sale for $200. And its held on with Talley lightwieghts. So $540 Canadian for the whole set up. I did have to tune up the trigger and got it down to 3lbs. This rifle was easy to work up loads for. I was able to get 120 TTSX, 140 Accubonds, 130 Speers to all shoot MOA. My brother used that combo this year to take a caribou at 485 yards.

ddrZRyD.jpg

Very nice! 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM?

WKR
Bought a $199 clearance Rem 700 in 223 and dropped it in an old wooden adl stock. Shoots great with Hornady factory ammo and a SWFA scope. Adjusted the 700 trigger and its quite nice actually. Pleasant surprise.