Stone Glacier’s New Chilkoot 15F Sleeping Bag test

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Spent 1 week in the field. Minor rain. High wind. Temperatures were as follows; 33F, 32F, 23F, 12F, 6F, 11F.

The Chilkoot was FANTASTIC. It came down to a WM Kodiak and the Chilkoot and the SG was lighter so I decided I would give it a whirl. I LOVED IT. The bag was big enough for me, 6'3 215 but not too big. I never once felt cold in this bag. I was able to sleep the whole night and definitely did not want to get out in the morning haha. The durability seems great and for being a true 0 degree bag it was super light. A few ounces lighter than the WM. I thought I would be regretting this bag or wishing I had spent a few hundred more on the WM. Time will tell if she holds up but at this point I love the bag.

Thanks for the feedback man. Glad you were happy. I’m assuming those temperatures listed were nighttime lows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback man. Glad you were happy. I’m assuming those temperatures listed were nighttime lows?

Yep. Nighttime lows. The coldest it was when I woke up and went out to hunt was 11F. Needless to say this bag was legit. I don't know how it will compare long term to say a WM Kodiak but I loved it. I'm taking it out again here soon and will report if there are any changes. The warmth for the weight is incredible. Home run by the folks at SG. If this bag can stand the durability and test of time it will be a big time victory for them.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Nighttime lows. The coldest it was when I woke up and went out to hunt was 11F. Needless to say this bag was legit. I don't know how it will compare long term to say a WM Kodiak but I loved it. I'm taking it out again here soon and will report if there are any changes. The warmth for the weight is incredible. Home run by the folks at SG. If this bag can stand the durability and test of time it will be a big time victory for them.

Mines got over 30
Nights on it and no worse for the wear. Keep us posted.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
First season with the 15 bag. 23 total nights.

August: HOT! Idaho just didn’t get cold enough. Slept with bag unzipped most nights. Slept with no tent.

September: Hunted ID and MT. Mixed weather. Mostly paired the bag with skyscraper tent. Had some condensation a couple nights, but pretty light. Bag held up great. Opened doors for venting and all dry when I got back.

October: Deer opener brought some single digit and low teens temps. Kestrel read 11 in tent on first night. More condensation (Frozen). Had more moisture but bag shed it and was dry each night. Temps never got above freezing.

November: More teens for MT elk hunt. All warm in the bag.

The only issue I have is that I toss and turn a lot. The magnetic holder un-clasps. Letting in cold air.

For any forecasts with above freezing, I think i will run with a lower rated bag. Just a little too hot.

tdhanses

WKR
Well since I had switched to quilts years ago and mainly hunted archery or muzzleloader when I’d need a bag away from the comforts of a base camp that has always worked well but a 0* quilt is not what I would use come time to be in -temps to low teens.

Planning to hunt 3rd season CO elk next year so picked up a 0* SG bag from One Shot Gear, excited to get it and test it out this winter.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well since I had switched to quilts years ago and mainly hunted archery or muzzleloader when I’d need a bag away from the comforts of a base camp that has always worked well but a 0* quilt is not what I would use come time to be in -temps to low teens.

Planning to hunt 3rd season CO elk next year so picked up a 0* SG bag from One Shot Gear, excited to get it and test it out this winter.

Let us know man!

jt4

WKR

Why do you say a quilt is not what you’d use in temps in the low teens or below?

twall13

WKR
Why do you say a quilt is not what you’d use in temps in the low teens or below?

Not speaking for him but I know since quilts don't have hoods a lot of guys stop using them in really cold weather.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR

They just aren’t as warm, I have a 0* quilt I’ll use down into the twenties but just don’t want to risk freezing my butt off if it is actually 0* and the quilts can easily let air draft in if you move at all.

tdhanses

WKR
Let us know man!

Pretty impressed with the quality of construction, of course last week it was cold and snowy but now it’s 60*. I’m going to test it without a pad and only on my cot once it gets really cold to see how it does.

I got the same thing. wow $330 out the door. However I just ordere a katabatic flex 22. I'm considering canceling and getting another chilkoot 15. I can save 11 oz with the katabatic quilt. Ahhh i'm torn.

If I could get one for that I’d try one,is there a sale or you have to be a guide?
I have gov x but there 479 with that discount.

Last edited:

Ramem7mm

FNG
Picked one up at end of last year and have some hunts planned for this upcoming season. Crazy how light it is and how much they are able to compress.