Choosing Merino Wool Base Layers

I originally assumed 100% merino was clearly the way to go too, it really isn't very durable though...I have a 1 year old 100% merino shirt that's almost more hole than shirt at this point. On the flipside lots of companies are cashing in on the word merino, take a close look at what percentage of the fabric is actually wool though. I bought a "merino" shirt at costco recently without reading the fine print...a whopping 11% merino, it stinks after a lackadaisical day at the office lol. A high percentage merino blend is your best bet, I don't have any personal experience with the FL merino but plan on switching over for this season, icebreaker isn't bad but I find it a bit itchy.

Edit: since posting this I've fully transitioned to FL base layers and won't look back, the difference in quality/functionality is fairly significant in my opinion.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried some of the blends, but still seem to prefer 100% merino. My base bottoms take more of a beating under my pants than my tops do, and they wear out much more quickly. But that's just part of the game IMO.

Jethro

WKR
I’m only familiar with minus 33. Hasn’t given me a reason to try other brands. Some pieces around 8 years old. Gets worn hard, washed in the wash machine, dried in the drier. Still in great shape. Super soft. 100% merino.

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Classified Approved
Blackovis is on sale. I missed the camofire sale but the Marino is on sale at the blackovis site.
This is what I got.
1579579662839.png

drxron

FNG
Ill also second the LL bean actually, good quality 100% merino wool that doesnt bother my skin but is still fairly durable. Good warmth as well at the same 250 weight rating, good fit, thumbholes that make layering over it easier, olive color or black, and there are always LL Bean coupons kicking around usually 20% off so a good top and bottom for around $112. Plus good customer service in my opinion.
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.25.33 PM.png

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't pulled the trigger on your base layer set yet, give our Kaibab pieces a look. We have tops and bottoms in both 170 and 300 GSM all backed by a lifetime warranty and VIP sizing policy. Plus, we have an exclusive discount for Rokslide members.

You can check out our merino wool gear here: Merino Wool

Please let us know if we can answer any questions for you. We are here to help and serve you!

Best,
Tim

If you haven't pulled the trigger on your base layer set yet, give our Kaibab pieces a look. We have tops and bottoms in both 170 and 300 GSM all backed by a lifetime warranty and VIP sizing policy. Plus, we have an exclusive discount for Rokslide members.

Please let us know if we can answer any questions for you. We are here to help and serve you!

Best,
Tim
I have been very impressed with my SKRE 170 Merino. Wore the top all week on a September elk hunt. No smell, no itch, did some bushwacking and it held up great. I will probably pick up the 300 GSM bottoms for whitetail season, and maybe the kodiak pants as well. Also, I didnt know Rokslide members get a discount! I usually just wait for a sale ha.

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Classified Approved
I received my blackovis Marino yesterday. It is very light and thin. I sure hope it is warm. If you are buying blackovis brand the size is a little tight.

I like the Black Ovis merino. I wear there boxers everyday, I’ve got ss/ls light weight shirts and I just bought my second qz hoodie because I pretty much live in the one I had.
I wear the base layers as shirts when I’m not at work and it’s warm and under my work shirts if temps require. They’ve held up well to regular washing on heavy duty with my work clothes. Check the current reviews or call before you order to see about sizing.
smart wool for socks same story for washing
And I bought a northxnorth long hooded neck gaiter that I’ve been using, I haven’t needed more than that with the qz hood and a ball cap yet.

RCB

WKR
Haven’t bought premium brands. Have minus33 and meriwool. No complaints.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the money the Costco ones are good value and soft little to no itch but the first lite is the cream of the crop👍 Smart wool and Ibex are very good for non hunting brands This time of year when outdoors always some layer of wool and the mrs lives in her heavy weight first lite and she is choosy🤩

ohoopee

WKR
I have tried many also. Woolpower for warmth when I know its going to be cold. FL and Smartwool
for usual wear. If I could only have one set it would be hands down Woolpower.

sasquatch

WKR

Best,
Tim

I’m an oddball in this regard but if you ever make one without a zip I’m in. I like just the plain old crew neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I received my blackovis Marino yesterday. It is very light and thin. I sure hope it is warm.

No it's not warm.......it's as thin as a t-shirt. It's a base layer designed to get the sweat off your skin, which may keep you warmer.......but your warmth will come from your insulation layers.

For me, even 400 weight merino doesn't keep me warm when I'm stationary, even in the 50's and 60's.

Clarence

WKR
I received my blackovis Marino yesterday. It is very light and thin. I sure hope it is warm. If you are buying blackovis brand the size is a little tight.
I used under armour for years(you don't know what you don't know) been using black ovis merino last few years. Same system, only thing changed is merino base layer, and I run significantly warmer. Just manages moisture (sweat) better. My .02.