CO Elk hunt

sneaky

"DADDY"
He said he hunted MT last year. If that’s the case he knows what 7 miles is like in elk country, or at least he should. He may have never put an elk quarter on his back, but 80 pounds is 80 pounds.

I think y’all are getting trolled.

More power to the OP if he thinks he’s going 7 miles deep to a beautiful looking spot without company from someone with horses, and then get meat without spoilage in September. Elk are like anything else, they are where you find them not where you want them be. This plan is shaking out to be one expensive and exhaustive bow hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He didn't say where in MT he hunted. There's some easier terrain in MT that has elk, and elevation is not the same in MT as CO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
You guys need to get together and agree that once an elk is down, hunting is over until that one is on ice. Non negotiable.

I don't agree with that kind of blanket statement. I took mine out last year by myself, no spoilage. Buddy shot one first evening. He brought a load out that night. Other guy and I hunted the next morning then when we were done hunting went and got a load each from gps coordinates. No spoilage on that one either. Both early archery.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't agree with that kind of blanket statement. I took mine out last year by myself, no spoilage. Buddy shot one first evening. He brought a load out that night. Other guy and I hunted the next morning then when we were done hunting went and got a load each from gps coordinates. No spoilage on that one either. Both early archery.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
7 miles deep?

Extrapale

WKR
Now that there are 4 guys this seems a little more resonable. 4 motivated guys can 1 trip an elk that far depending on terrain. On a trail won't be too bad. Cross country the whole way is another story.

You will know after the first one if you want to head back in for another.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

7 miles is do able with 4 guys, as long as everyone will pitch in. You and your hunting partner if you have one need to be able to get it back to camp though, assuming you won’t be able to get ahold of the other guys in the field.

That brings up the point that you’ll likely kill one further than 7 miles in, unless you plan on only hunting back towards the truck or very close to camp. You’ll also need to stop hunting before the last day of your trip if you have hard deadlines, in order to have enough time to get an animal quartered and packed out.

OP
E
7 miles is do able with 4 guys, as long as everyone will pitch in. You and your hunting partner if you have one need to be able to get it back to camp though, assuming you won’t be able to get ahold of the other guys in the field.

That brings up the point that you’ll likely kill one further than 7 miles in, unless you plan on only hunting back towards the truck or very close to camp. You’ll also need to stop hunting before the last day of your trip if you have hard deadlines, in order to have enough time to get an animal quartered and packed out.
Yes all good points! We have ways to text on our 2 way spot X so that should help.

Deadfall

WKR
Yall laugh, but 3 years ago I ran into 2 kids that were 22 miles in the area I run around. They were on foot and wounded a bull.

Been seeing more and more wacky stuff.

You don’t need to go in super deep to cover plenty of miles I hiked 18.37 miles yesterday covering ground all in between trails from 2/3 miles away from a trail to 1/2 mile. And low and behold the best sign and the two bulls I got on one under 30yds was all within 3 miles or less of where I parked the Jeep. I’m a brand new hunter, I’ve done tons of backpacking etc and live in CO and had the romantic idea of hiking in super deep etc but after researching and finding so many posts like these on the forums I think the best areas are going to be the ones you can find in between the 1/2 mile and mile from the trail and the 7/8 miles back.

gelton

WKR
Yes all good points! We have ways to text on our 2 way spot X so that should help.
Get to know a packer...there are areas where 7 miles is doable and there are areas where 3 miles arent and the hard part to all of that is that you dont get to choose, the elk do.

HarvDog

FNG
How was it!!?
Raggeds aren’t what they used to be, I’ve since found way better options. Numbers are way down in that area

OP
E
How was it!!?
Raggeds aren’t what they used to be, I’ve since found way better options. Numbers are way down in that area
We had a great time got on elk seen 1 nice bull nothing ever got closer then 88 yards its so thick in there!

ncossey

FNG
Dude, 7 miles is a bad idea. We did it last year. Hike in was a piece of cake, hiking around for 6 days was a piece of cake. We had to split in a hurry due to weather and the hike out was rough. I can’t imagine having to do it with 100+ lbs of meat on your back 4 times after you’ve already spent days exhausting yourself. Unless you got a crew with you or animals, you are asking for lost meat, or injuries trying to prevent meat loss due to over exertion. This year, no more than a mile or two from the truck, if I don’t find elk, I just move camp and stay mobile.

When you start seeing the dots falling on the edges of your vision, thats when experiences are remembered lol