CO fires

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts on the fires burning in Colorado are? Is anyone drastically changing plans for archery coming up very quickly here, or just hoping for the best? New fires starting every day and looks like most of them are 0% contained at the moment....

I had a September hunt planned in and around the Cameron Peak Fire. Everything is shut down so I’m going to exchange my tag for an OTC tag. I hope CPW can help me through the process quickly. I cant buy an OTC tag until my limited entry tag is cleared from the system. I’m worried I won’t have a tag in my hand by the time I leave from Illinois in early September. It sucks because I’ve spent so much time planning for one area and now I have to start fresh with 2 weeks to go. I’m thankful the opportunity to head west is still viable though. Thats why CO is the land of opportunity.

11boo

WKR
Just curious what everyone’s thoughts on the fires burning in Colorado are? Is anyone drastically changing plans for archery coming up very quickly here, or just hoping for the best? New fires starting every day and looks like most of them are 0% contained at the moment....
I’d say watch inciweb and have alternative units in mind. Most of the state is tinder dry right now, but this stuff happens. If you do come out, be very careful with anything that can start a fire.

OP
M
I’d say watch inciweb and have alternative units in mind. Most of the state is tinder dry right now, but this stuff happens. If you do come out, be very careful with anything that can start a fire.
I live in CO, was just curious as to if it was having any type of effect on out of state guys. I never use anything more then a backpacking stove when in the mountains. Campfires are nice and all but I just really don’t think the risk is worth having them really anytime. It’s so easy for a stray ember to float off and cause a disaster.

11boo

WKR
I wonder about that too. I know just one, and he is coming. Between the wubonic plague/fires/everything else I don’t know if guys are bailing on this season or coming in force for an escape.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely keeping my eye on them to see if any plans need to change. Fingers crossed nothing changes, but that’s the whole reason for having plan A-Z.

During our Grizzly Creek Fire community meeting tonight the White River NF supervisor said USFS was meeting with CPW on Monday to discuss impacts to the season in the Flattops. They extended the forest closure further north tonight to the southern boundary of the Flattops Wilderness.

Csk21

FNG
Have a muzzle loader hunt planned starting Sept. 12th in unit 28. Just read that they closed almost the whole southern half of the Unit because of the Williams Fork fire...Does anyone know if CPW will refund tags due to closures?

I'm not opposed to coming up with a contingency plan on short notice but I'm thinking if CPW doesn't do refunds there's going to be alot of hunters doing the same thing and it could get VERY crowded.

OP
M
Have a muzzle loader hunt planned starting Sept. 12th in unit 28. Just read that they closed almost the whole southern half of the Unit because of the Williams Fork fire...Does anyone know if CPW will refund tags due to closures?

I'm not opposed to coming up with a contingency plan on short notice but I'm thinking if CPW doesn't do refunds there's going to be alot of hunters doing the same thing and it could get VERY crowded.
I’m not really sure what their plan is if the fires aren’t contained by season opener. Maybe limited draw tags they have sometime of system but otc I can’t see them refunding. The scenario has to have happened in the past so maybe someone with more extensive history hunting the area would know for sure.

I believe they offered refunds or something similar in response to the Sarvis Creek fire a few years ago since it was burning up to/during the season. You could probably do a search for that. Believe it was 2018.

Edit: https://kiowacountypress.net/content/hunters-impacted-silver-creek-fire-can-seek-license-refunds

sndmn11

WKR

They will allow monitary and point refunds up to 15 days before the season start.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wonder about that too. I know just one, and he is coming. Between the wubonic plague/fires/everything else I don’t know if guys are bailing on this season or coming in force for an escape.
Applications were up 40% in Colorado this year. They aren't afraid of the plague. It'll be crowded more so this year than any other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Applications were up 40% in Colorado this year. They aren't afraid of the plague. It'll be crowded more so this year than any other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Figures. Every scouting trip mid week I have seen most campsites taken.
should be exciting this year.

During our Grizzly Creek Fire community meeting tonight the White River NF supervisor said USFS was meeting with CPW on Monday to discuss impacts to the season in the Flattops. They extended the forest closure further north tonight to the southern boundary of the Flattops Wilderness.
Below is a map showing the current extent of the Grizzly Creek fire (red outline), National Forest closure boundary (blue), and GMU boundaries (purple). Looks like all NF within GMU 34 and small portions within 24/25/33/444 are closed.
GCF Map 08-17-20.JPG

OP
M
Below is a map showing the current extent of the Grizzly Creek fire (red outline), National Forest closure boundary (blue), and GMU boundaries (purple). Looks like all NF within GMU 34 and small portions within 24/25/33/444 are closed.
View attachment 207432
And from what I’ve read and heard the fire doesn’t show much sign of slowing down and the weather doesn’t look favorable for the foreseeable future.

wgrkman

FNG
I have an archery tag for units 23, 24, & 33 south of the north fork of the White River. Probably going to hang on a bit longer and hope it gets contained but also starting to consider exchanging for an otc tag since I think that is an option before opening day.

TexasCub

WKR
And from what I’ve read and heard the fire doesn’t show much sign of slowing down and the weather doesn’t look favorable for the foreseeable future.

They are pretreating the fire in their efforts, that means they expect it to keep eating up terrain. I wouldnt expect to get into 34 this season at all.