CO Leftover List Posted

vanish

WKR
I was very glad to see the online list updating every 5 minutes. Saved a lot of people a lot of time.

I have an interesting story.

The second two people in line at the Walmart we went to this morning were a couple. Each was carrying a binder containing a photocopy of a person's license and hunter's education. They were buying tags for other people. After 50 minutes of those two occupying the counter, printing dozens of tags, we gave up and went to Big 5 (would have gone here first, but they usually open at 10am) and were 3rd in line. My wife got a leftover doe tag.

Now, I don't mind people buying a license for their spouse, parent, or kid or something, but this seemed ridiculous. I suppose they might have a big family? The only other thing I could think of was they were some sort of outfitter? I don't really understand, but needless to say the masses in line were getting restless.

Oh, and there was a very lucky guy at Big 5 who pulled one of the 61 O1A tags. The employee said he thought the guy was going to pass out from excitement.

I was very glad to see the online list updating every 5 minutes. Saved a lot of people a lot of time.

The second two people in line at the Walmart we went to this morning were a couple. Each was carrying a binder containing a photocopy of a person's license and hunter's education. They were buying tags for other people. After 50 minutes of those two occupying the counter, printing dozens of tags, we gave up and went to Big 5 (would have gone here first, but they usually open at 10am) and were 3rd in line. My wife got a leftover doe tag.

Now, I don't mind people buying a license for their spouse, parent, or kid or something, but this seemed ridiculous. I suppose they might have a big family? The only other thing I could think of was they were some sort of outfitter? I don't really understand, but needless to say the masses in line were getting restless.

Oh, and there was a very lucky guy at Big 5 who pulled one of the 61 O1A tags. The employee said he thought the guy was going to pass out from excitement.

Same thing happened to me at a Dicks. I was number 7 in line, but the first two guys took about 30 mins buying all kinds of tags, i asked the counter guy when I got up there if they got everything they wanted and he said they did a bunch of gift tags, which take longer. So, I did not get my leftover doe tag I wanted at 9:35am this morning, but my father in law got his a 9:27am, so I just missed it.

They need to put a stop to that, it is not fair at all to the folks that waited in line for 2 hours and took time iff work to do this. It should be first come first served and you should have to be in person. Leave the gift tags to online when that opens.

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
As a non-resident, I was pretty excited that the DOW decided to sell the leftovers. I'll have 3 weeks worth of hunting that I'll never forget because of the sale. I think the leftover tag sale is an interesting idea as it does give the average joe, like me, the smallest chance to get a great tag. I do think It is unfair for those guys who were on the borderline of drawing a tag and didn't to not get those extra tags, but this is just how the DOW is doing things this year. As to the guys, like the wal mart couple who hogged the line, they oughta consider putting a one tag limit per customer per trip to the counter to keep instances like that from happening. Being there in person to get a tag would also be something that I think should be implemented.

This morning I was first in line and promptly got my elk tag right at 9. As soon as it printed, I let the gentlemen behind me get his info in and he luckily got his tag as well. After he was done, I went back to the machine with my dad for an elk tag and for a pronghorn tag myself and were both successful. We were the only people to show up so we didn't have to face the long lines everywhere else across the state. Some people are just greedy unfortunately. I'm usually on the unlucky end of these types of deals so I feel how frustrated a lot of guys can be. As there are improvements that can be made on the leftover system, I can't complain much because the system worked in my favor this time. The draw records show that a non-resident has never had this pronghorn archery tag before. I really am just super blessed to have the opportunity. Good luck to everyone this season!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I do believe it should be limited to one tag at a time, and then to the end of the line if you want a different tag as well. It's bad when the first few guys get an elk tag, deer tag, and an antelope tag, and then the next guys in line are too late to get any tag. I didn't know we could even get tags for other people. I tried to get my daughter to come with me to see if she could get a tag, but teenagers would rather sleep.

I do believe it should be limited to one tag at a time, and then to the end of the line if you want a different tag as well. It's bad when the first few guys get an elk tag, deer tag, and an antelope tag, and then the next guys in line are too late to get any tag. I didn't know we could even get tags for other people. I tried to get my daughter to come with me to see if she could get a tag, but teenagers would rather sleep.

The CDOW page on leftovers outlines the rules for buying tags for others clearly.

BUT-- I agree with you; the stores that issue licenses should have a policy that is more fair and allows others in line to get a chance. IE-- You can put in for one license(animal but multiple hunt codes) per person per transaction and you can only execute one transaction before going to the back of the line. Kudos to the folks who did the right thing and gave others a shot.

I had no idea you could do it either, but if you have thier CID number and probably need the hunters Ed if they aren't verified, DL#, and some other things and they will do what's called a gift tag. I saw two guys doing this sign a short little print out that I think was them signing over the tags to thier buddies...it was not them signing the actual tags, it was something different and much shorter in length.

DEHusker

WKR
Colorado is at the forefront of a seriously flawed system. It's sad that we are so hard up for good tags that it has come down to hard feelings and a ridiculous leftover tag system predicated solely on revenue generation. I know guys first in line who didn't get their tags and other guys who had to go to a different office because the machine broke after the first applicant went through at their office (yeah, I was 5th in line but completely lost out when I had to go somewhere else due to a broken machine). How is that fair?

What Colorado should do is either A) give the tag to the next person in the draw for returned tags. If It was done electronically like other states, it would be automatically given out - no calls necessary. Or B) let everyone who wants a leftover license get in a drawing for a number. You then are allowed to access a website according to your allotted time/number. Fair and easy. Why can't these people figure something out? This is the 21st freakin century...Nothing about the leftover sale today was fair in any way. Frankly, it's embarrassing for the whole DOW.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well, look at it this way........there is another option. They could just auction off the leftover tags to the highest bidder since they are so money hungry.

Felix40

WKR
Seemed pretty fair to me. Show up first and get first choice. And the guys who didn't draw a tag have just as much chance to buy it leftover as anyone else.

Mmcan

WKR
Seemed pretty fair to me. Show up first and get first choice. And the guys who didn't draw a tag have just as much chance to buy it leftover as anyone else.

Not an option for those who don't live full time in CO, unfortunately. And the phone lines were busy all damn day. I dialed over 200 times. Nada. Nada damn thing.

dotman

WKR
Not an option for those who don't live full time in CO, unfortunately. And the phone lines were busy all damn day. I dialed over 200 times. Nada. Nada damn thing.

It just is what it is, that's why I didn't even try and really I'm ok with it being easier for the residents vs us nonres. Would be kind of cool if they did a second draw as a first go around on the leftovers. No points and everyone has the same chance no matter if your a res or not. Any tags left after can be bought and no return option for second draw.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Just talked to a guy today. His group used to be 8 guys, getting non resident deer and elk tags years ago. He said his group now just down to 2 guys. Says rest got fed up with applying for deer tags and could never figure out system. Little bit of lost revenue there but does help with crowding , I guess. Countless times times we have applied as a group with plenty of preference points based on previous years draw and then we fail to draw. Always call up and get told more people applied this year. The younger people 18-35 year Olds , I have found in the organizations I belong to don't want to have any hassles in anything they do or they just plain give up on it. We are losing a whole generation of them. I am 54 now and when I was 20 -30 years old truckloads of us would head west to hunt. Now talking with area youth you can't even hardly find any youth that head west to hunt. Shame it is.

Felix40

WKR
The problem with doing a second drawing or giving the tags to the next guy in line is that tags can be returned up until 30 days before the season starts. So you give all the returned tags to the next guys in line and how many of them are going to want them? Sure some will but I sure as hell don't want less than a month to prep for a tag I've been trying to draw for years. Most guys are going to want the summer to scout, need more than 30 days to request time off, or already bought another tag in a different state etc. So now you still have some tags leftover and you have to do it again. Or they could go through and call each person who is next in the list individually until they have made 1000s of phone calls plus the time they have to wait for some guys to call back since not everyone will be easy to reach. All I'm saying is that there is no perfect system. There is no such thing as a draw system that is 100% fair to everyone.

If you are a nonresident who has his heart set on one of these leftovers just plan a scouting trip the week they go on sale. Make damn sure you are the first in line and try to get one. If you can't just scout an OTC unit you want to hunt. That's what I plan on doing if they continue this system.

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
I thought it was great. Picked up 2 really good tags by about 9:03 and out the door.

I went today, and there were people that camped out the night prior in front of the DOW door. I was 20th in line and didn't get anything.

I'm not sure why they don't have some kind of alternate list after the first leftover draw, but at least they were made public.

I agree that no one should be able to buy tags for others unless it is your kid or spouse and I also think 1 tag period and then to the end of the line.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was in Colorado today and thought about going and trying for a 61 tag but didn't want the drama. Went to the farm store later and asked about the rush and no one came in this morning damn

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The second two people in line at the walmart we went to this morning were a couple. Each was carrying a binder containing a photocopy of a person's license and hunter's education. They were buying tags for other people. After 50 minutes of those two occupying the counter,
Now, i don't mind people buying a license for their spouse, parent, or kid or something, but this seemed ridiculous. I suppose they might have a big family? The only other thing i could think of was they were some sort of outfitter? I don't really understand, but needless to say the masses in line were getting restless.

This is absolutely illegal according to the dow. They told me straight up that the person applying for the license needed to be present even if applying by phone.... This person should be prosecuted.

Also, What was the story with calling by phone? I was told by the DOW that there would be "Thousands" of people answering the phone system. Did people just get a bust signal or what?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am 54 now and when I was 20 -30 years old truckloads of us would head west to hunt. Now talking with area youth you can't even hardly find any youth that head west to hunt. Shame it is.

The actual numbers of NR tags sold and hunters on the ground proves otherwise. I would say that the majority of the hunters I see out there these days are in that 20-40 age group. The number of bowhunters in CO has tripled over the last 20 years. And back in the 80's we used to complain about the number of rifle hunters then. These days it seems to be 10X what it was back then for crowds, and doesn't matter where you go.......there they are. I'll see 5 to 1 out of state license plates to CO plates when I'm hunting.

vanish

WKR
How can you tell if it's archery muzzleloader or rifle?

Not 100% what you are asking, but if you're talking about the tag, look at the last letter of the hunt code. If its an "A", its an archery tag, "M" for muzzleloader and "R" for Rifle. However, there are a few "R" tags out there that are called "Seasons Choice" tags, and the legal weapon varies with the season. You can find this in the 3rd to last spot in the hunt code marked with an "S". So, it might look like "DE-093-S2R"

First letter is species, second is sex, next three are unit group, last three is season.