CO Refund or Roll the Dice

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
It that some of the same area that burned in 2018 as well? Near the wyoming border?

Looks like there was a fire near the specific area I've scouted in 2012 but I do see an area north of there near the Wyoming border that burned in 2018.

Looks like there was a fire near the specific area I've scouted in 2012 but I do see an area north of there near the Wyoming border that burned in 2018.

Big Creek Lakes or whatever it was called in 2018 was on the West side of North Park. Generally, the Rawah (which is now burning) makes up the eastern wall of the park and the Zirkels make up the west. About 15-20 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
The High Park Fire in 2012 burned 87,000 acres in unit 19, but it was lower in elevation.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide if I turn in my unit 25 mulie tag (2nd rifle) or roll the dice. I keep looking at inciweb, but I can’t tell where the Grizzly Creek fire is in relation to 25. Anyone know if there is any impact on 25 from this fire?
TIA for any help.

Overdrive

WKR
Well if the CPW is truly giving voucher's for Moose tags drawn this year for affected unit's, guy's better keep that in your memory bank, to try and draw those tags next year will be a waste of your time, cause I don't know anyone that wouldn't take the voucher and have a tag in your pocket for 2021 ahead of the draw. Be interesting to see what really happens in the next couple day's, week's and Month's in these area's. No matter what there is going to be some large area's closed for years, after the High Park fire I remember area's staying closed for 5-6 years, and another hiking trail just reopened 2 weeks ago from that fire in 2012. Going to be a lot of pissed off people in years to come.

Beendare

WKR
45 min on the phone to CO DOW.

At first they told me no vouchers. When I pushed to talk to a mgr, they admitted, yes there are vouchers for CERTAIN TAGS. They couldn't...or wouldn't tell me which tags qualify for vouchers....all they said is they would contact me before the season.

Problem is I'm gone on Saturday....with limited cell service.

Beendare

WKR
Update; I hate to be a pain to the DOW but I'm in a pickle here. I called the Fort Collins office thinking they would be better to talk to as its close to my unit- BINGO.

I DO qualify for a voucher next year. They told me to fill out the refund form but put that I want a voucher vs a refund.

If you have an elk tag there I would say to call FT Collin office.

_____

Update; I hate to be a pain to the DOW but I'm in a pickle here. I called the Fort Collins office thinking they would be better to talk to as its close to my unit- BINGO.

I DO qualify for a voucher next year. They told me to fill out the refund form but put that I want a voucher vs a refund.

_____
Wow I am surprised CPW is doing vouchers but I’m pumped for those of you that are able to have that option. As others have said it’s hard to say what next year will look like, but the option is nice! It’s frustrating you had to go through so many hoops to get an answer so close to the season.

woods89

WKR

_____
That's great!

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, think about it;

I have a long odds moose tag where between 3/4 and 7/8 of the unit is closed- a tag with no access.

They cut the fire break a long ways from the existing fire due to beetle kill and safety issues....but it leaves many square miles that could burn for a month....especially if wind kicks up, it could burn that whole area quickly....hopefully not.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Had that same unit. Turned the tag in. The closure is the issue. Not the size of the burn. That burn will not push herds off the top and north until it grows 15x in size which isn’t going to happen. The only thing pushing those animals into the “open” country will be snow.

11boo

WKR
I would take the CPW deal and come hunt OTC, but that’s me. If I don’t get my hunting time on the mountain I get a little crazy.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
Just an update, I mailed in my tag yesterday for a refund. Now the e-scouting starts all over from scratch. Have 3 weeks to get my OTC archery elk hunt in Colorado planned.

I'll go start a new post now asking for coordinates to all of your best public land, OTC unit, honey holes. ;)

Just an update, I mailed in my tag yesterday for a refund. Now the e-scouting starts all over from scratch. Have 3 weeks to get my OTC archery elk hunt in Colorado planned.

I'll go start a new post now asking for coordinates to all of your best public land, OTC unit, honey holes. ;)

But only for bulls up to 350 right?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

It's not difficult, just draw a line from the 4 corners up to the WY border........then east to I-25........then south to the NM border.........then west back to the 4 corners. Then eliminate all the draw units, and there you have it. You'll be golden.