CO Wildlife $$$

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
According to recent data, about 4% of Coloradans hunt

That's kind of scary. Scary because we literally have no say in the state if that's actually true. And also scary because as crowded as it gets out there, it's hard to imagine that only 4% are hunting. And it has to be even a smaller % for those that are bowhunting. Why on earth are there so many hunters out there then. They can't all be coming from out of state.

• Banned
OP

1hoda

Banned
This whole idea of how states fund wildlife conservation and management is unsustainable, so it's certainly something that needs some innovative ideas and fast.

The following article came out today and the bill is news to me... using public land energy and mineral revenues to fund wildlife conservation. What do ya'll think about this approach?

Interesting to note that there are a lot of the hook and bullet crowd on the panel (list at the end of the article), with only 2 or 3 "non consumptive" users. I like that sportsmen are well represented, but it's time the other folks who enjoy wildlife start paying as well.

Also, the article didn't mention that the 1. current recipients of these funds wouldn't willingly give up their cash, 2. the elephant in the middle of the room is the current fad in DC is to radically reduce development on public land, which just delays the inevitable.

http://www.fishwildlife.org/files/BlueRibbonPanel_ShortReport.pdf

I like the idea of new funding sources, I don't like the idea of the feds being more involved in state business. Remember, "Whoever has the gold makes the rules"

As for the non consumptive users, part of me doesn't want them to pay because they'll argue they want more input (code for less hunting), but I'd argue they already have a disproportionate influence when they aren't paying anything. (Take the Brainerd Lake moose incident in CO last year for example.)

Last edited:
This whole idea of how states fund wildlife conservation and management is unsustainable, so it's certainly something that needs some innovative ideas and fast.

The following article came out today and the bill is news to me... using public land energy and mineral revenues to fund wildlife conservation. What do ya'll think about this approach?

Interesting to note that there are a lot of the hook and bullet crowd on the panel (list at the end of the article), with only 2 or 3 "non consumptive" users. I like that sportsmen are well represented, but it's time the other folks who enjoy wildlife start paying as well.

Also, the article didn't mention that the 1. current recipients of these funds wouldn't willingly give up their cash, 2. the elephant in the middle of the room is the current fad in DC is to radically reduce development on public land, which just delays the inevitable.

http://www.fishwildlife.org/files/BlueRibbonPanel_ShortReport.pdf

I like the idea of new funding sources, I don't like the idea of the feds being more involved in state business. Remember, "Whoever has the gold makes the rules"

As for the non consumptive users, part of me doesn't want them to pay because they'll argue they want more input (code for less hunting), but I'd argue they already have a disproportionate influence when they aren't paying anything. (Take the Brainerd Lake moose incident in CO last year for example.)

Something to consider, southern ute aren't poor, and it's not just from crossing permits

bairdi

FNG

I don't know what the right answer is, but this is something important to keep in mind if non-consumptive users are asked to contribute more towards fish, wildlife and land management.