Coffee maker

lodavyes

FNG
In fact it's more profitable to own a coffee maker than to make coffee manually. For me I prefer espresso with milk made by coffee machine

jbuzz229

FNG
French press at home. At camp, Aeropress or french press depending on the number of people we have.

Dos XX

WKR
Check out the Bonivita. It had a shower head type deal. It basically makes pour overs. They have a small one and a big one. I have the small 5 cup and a burr grinder. That is my daily regular coffee. I have a Kalita Wave for hand poured pour overs.

TheGDog

WKR
The British journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics published a review that combined 9 studies, which indicated that drinking just two cups of coffee a day reduces the risk of liver cirrhosis by 45%. However, doctors could not say exactly what coffee is good for the liver. Most likely, this is due to the content of substances such as chlorogenic acid, cafestol, and caveol, which have an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect. Despite the benefits described above, coffee interferes with the assimilation of useful elements, in particular calcium. Adding milk to the drink will help compensate for the loss of this essential element. What coffee shops do you like the most? I prefer natural ground coffee to instant one, I buy my whole bean coffee mostly at a well-known dual coffee maker, grind it with my coffee grinder, and enjoy its beautiful taste.
Caffeine will rob calcium from your bones, over time. Something to be aware of and supplement against. Especially if older.

prm

WKR
Aeropress makes the best coffee to me. A bit time consuming but truly excellent coffee. Chemex and Hario V46 are a close second. I’m not as much of a fan of French press coffee though thats just personal preference. I use a Bonavita to make a pot. Need to try the Technivorm. Really, any brewer that properly controls water temp, utilizes a bloom mode, and has a good carafe vice heat plate, will make good coffee. The real key is freshly roasted whole bean coffee, properly ground at brew time. The burr grinder keeps fines to a minimum and thus prevents bitterness. Coffee is at its best starting about 4-5 days after roasting and lasting a couple months. Play with the amount of coffee grounds and the grind to suit your taste.

Last edited:

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
… The real key is freshly roasted whole bean coffee, properly ground at brew time. The burr grinder keeps fines to a minimum and thus prevents bitterness. Coffee is at its best starting about 4-5 days after roasting and lasting a couple months. Play with the amount of coffee grounds and the grind to suit your taste.
^ This
I use a Baratza Virtuoso for grinding my beans. It’s been a workhorse, grinding enough for 60 oz. of coffee a day for 5 years. I occasionally roast my own, but have stepped back from that, since finding good Harrar and Yirgacheffe has become near impossible with the current crisis in Ethiopia. I buy freshly roasted, natural process beans from some local places and a coffee shop in northern California. I prefer natural process beans for the berry and other fruit flavors that come through.
None of my beans make it more than 5 weeks from roast to cup.

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of having a cup of coffee made with an excellent high-end coffee maker. Very compact and easy to use, which makes it one of the best coffee maker for dorm.

Admitted coffee snob. My wife and I enjoy strong coffee and espresso, so we bought the Breville Barista Pro a couple years ago. So far its been bulletproof with regular maintenance. We drink one or two coffees per day now vs. 5 or 6 pods or a couple pots. Expensive machine, but very high quality drinks. Also provides screaming hot water for tea, instant oatmeal, ramen, etc...

No one else roasts? You gotta pump up the snobbery here. We've got a shelf full of various coffee making implements, but for early stage snobbery a baratza grinder and a manual method (aero press/French press/pre over) is hard to beat.

If you add a smart plug to your water boiler you can have water ready to go and that's what takes the most time anyways. Just don't leave it boiling for very long or it'll taste flat.

When the sickness really takes hold you'll be considering importing full size bags of green beans and wondering if you'll be able to taste the difference if you spend another 600 on a new grinder. Though I will say, it's one of the rare tools I own that's used multiple times a day - everyday, so the price premium get amortized over a lot of use.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Keurig and if I am feeling super spicy I will add hot chocolate mix to it to make a poor man's mocha. I do want to stop using so much plastic though so I am thinking of switching to a french press.

Plastic is the only reason I shy away from the aero press otherwise id get that.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
When the sickness really takes hold you'll be considering importing full size bags of green beans and wondering if you'll be able to taste the difference if you spend another 600 on a new grinder. Though I will say, it's one of the rare tools I own that's used multiple times a day - everyday, so the price premium get amortized over a lot of use.
Closest I came was ordering 20# bags from Sweet Maria’s.

Also, if I knew how much I’d use my Virtuoso grinder, I would have upgraded. It’s a workhorse. Definitely more convenient than my Zassenhaus knee grinder.

Closest I came was ordering 20# bags from Sweet Maria’s.

Also, if I knew how much I’d use my Virtuoso grinder, I would have upgraded. It’s a workhorse. Definitely more convenient than my Zassenhaus knee grinder.
Yep, the ups guy looks at me funny when my 60 lb boxes from sweet Maria's arrive...

The virtuoso really punches above it's weight, I'm on my second one because someone put some star anise through it during a home brew party, never could get it clean. On the other hand once you hit espresso I am a huge fan of the Eureka atom, though I wish I would have gotten the 75mm.

Such an omnipresent requirement for civilized life, and yet I can't find a single thread detailing the pros and cons of the BEST coffee maker for RV use! I know the big diesel class A guys have a Bazillion dollar super duty machine with a Barista making their morning fix, but we toy-hauler types have lesser needs (OK, we really just don't have the counter space) best coffee machines under $1000 So, the question bears since Black and Decker isn't making the Space Maker that I had before anymore... what are y'all using?

Last edited: