Colorado 2019 - Sleep system

Mudd Foot

WKR
Thought I’d share my sleep system make up as I slept on the ground in complete and total comfort for the first time in memory. Am a side sleeper btw. Spent 5 nights in central Colorado at 11,000 feet. Temps at night ranged from a high of 36 to a low of 25 with sleet.

Sleeping bag and Pad. The Big Agnes Lost Dog 15 in long was paired with their QLX pad in 78x25. The QLX fit perfectly in the Lost dog’s pad sleeve making rolling around easy. Never woke up off of the pad either. This is a great system if you haven’t tried or considered these before.

Pillows. That’s right plural. I placed a Sea to Summit Aeros regular in the Lost Dog pillow sleeve, and used an Aero Premium for under/between my knees. Hugely comfortable for minor weight penalty.

Warmth of the above was perfect for the noted temps, but note I sleep in my merino 150 wt. hoody, Kuiu Attacks, and socks. If anything it was too warm, but that’s an easier fix than being cold while trying to sleep imo.

Bivy. Put the bag and pad combo inside a Borah Gear ultralight side zipper bivy. Was the long/wide if memory serves. an extra layer of protection from mosquitos, spiders(even several frosts didn’t put them down) and moisture. Adds a small bit of warmth too. My puffy, and grid fleece go in the head of the bivy for easy access. It also keeps everything in an organized package. Very impressive particularly given the weight.

Lastly, my ground sheet this time was Polycro. It was okay. Kept everything dry, but the surface is STOS. Kept sliding down the minor grade every time I moved in the middle of the night. Will go back to tyvek next trip.

Hope the above helps anyone seeking options,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hernandeztonyb7

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the borah bivy? Looking for Bivys but not sure which one to get.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Borah’s are fantastic. Bought a 2nd one over the holidays. It’s an oversized Bug Bivy with an extra 12 inches of zipper.