Colorado 3rd season...

OP
HellsCanyon
About 2 hours from where we plan to setup base camp... seen a LOT of deer on the road, two bucks easily over 170" too! They are with the does and are chasing pretty good! Gettin excited but still tired. Combined 7 hours sleep for last two nights... gotta grind it out though! :)

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
We're both lookin for 170"+. We're at walmart now in town. Didn't finish setting up camp last night till 3 am so we burned a morning to sleep and rest. First time in the area so we're checking out our Google earth scouted areas today and seeing what pressure is like.

On another note my pickup may have an issue. My throwout bearing is whining a bit and it's making it hard for me to be excited about being here! Over 1k miles from home makes it not a pleasant situation...

Mike

7mag.

WKR
Good luck with the clutch. I hope you guys have a great time and shoot a couple of big bucks. Hope your knee holds up too.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
I hate vehicle issues, especially far from our" safety net. " But fact is your already there, and sounds like other hunters in the area so if you need help you can prolly flag someone down. And if something happens on the way home, it will be easier to swallow with a couple big bucks in the bag! Good luck and we are routing for ya!

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks guys! Yesterday was a mulligan as far as hunting goes. Today we're gettin after it!

Seen 7 bucks this morning all little, couple nosing does pretty good. It's windy today!! Gusting up to about 22mph. We're sitting on a ridge top, just enjoyed some hot chocolate and finishing a butthole sandwich!

Lot of elk hunters and even some deer hunters! Everyone we run into hasn't seen hardly anything. Last night we saw 4 good bulls and 100+ herd of elk, today we saw another bachelor group of 4 bulls, one 5 pt the other three were 6x6's!

Having fun and enjoying ourselves! Feel a bit apprehensive about not knowing the area but we're seeing deer and we got weather coming!

Where we right now:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383506035102.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383506035102.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 202
OP
HellsCanyon
Will do Justin! We're about 30 minutes from kifaru so we're headed there now to check it out and pick up a few things.

Had a hell of a day yesterday. Hiked out 4.5 hours in a nasty snow storm with 20 mph winds! About 1/2 that was off trail through nasty blowdown in the dark trying to find a GPS waypoint!
We're gettin a better feel for the unit though looking forward to the next few days!!

OP
HellsCanyon
Don't tell me you invested in any "Scent Free clothing..."

Good luck and safe travels..

Curious, How much Space does an Audio book take up on an Iphone or Ipod?

Ha negative, usually wearing regular camp clothes when we fire up a cigar!

Not sure on the audiobook they vary a ton. I want to say I have a 16 hour book that takes up maybe 90mb? Don't quote me on that though!

Just leaving kifaru... met heath and got a tour, great people cool place! They did a quick repair job on my buddies T1 in 30 minutes and we also picked up some other goodies while we were there! :)

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
I guess there's a reason these units are 0 point units... :)

Tough hunting even with the recent snow and colder temps. Have hunted in 15"+ snow up high at 1100' cutting basically zero tracks, have hit the mid range at 9.5k' with same results. Just got done with a great looking area down lower around 8k' on winter range with 5 does turned up and no other tracks.

Have seen a few different doe groups without any bucks so we're hoping that changes! Kinda stumped on this one...

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
42 does on private tonight with no rut activity... did see a nice 170" buck on private as well.

Units 37/371/28/18

Mike

bbrown

WKR
Those units get hammered, cpw is on a mission to reduce the deer pop for some reason.
Now you tell him... But he's right. Hang tough I am hunting a unit to the north that is prolly just as tough as far as pressure and lack of animals but got close this morning. Couple bucks were starting to act real rutty. Good luck

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks guys. Nothing but a doe running through some aspens so far this morning. Headed to a completely new area now to check it out!

Mike