Colorado 3rd season...

OP
HellsCanyon
Partner pulled the trigger. Nothing huge, sounded and looked like a good hit, heading to track now. Hope it's a short trail!

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
He said thanks Justin and congratulations on your bull!
Here he is folks, just got him hung up near our outlet trail. Not the biggest but al's freezer was gettin a little empty and he took him down at just under 500 yards. My phone is about dead so last update for awhile! :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383929347377.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383929347377.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 249

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Big bodied deer for that size of rack - that will put some meat in the freezer for Al. Nice work guys!

OP
HellsCanyon
He's more fur than body. We went and glassed for a few more hours, hiked back into camp and packed it up and moved it to another edge of a drainage. Packed the deer back to the rig and now we have to run to base camp then into town to take a shower, return our rental car and pickup my truck. Will try to get a shower in while in town. Then we're headed back into our spike camp tonight in the dark to hunt one last half day in the morning! Feel pretty good about the area...

Here's where Al shot from. Buck was in the aspen patch above the conifer patch.

MIKE

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383951178755.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383951178755.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 177
OP
HellsCanyon
Well.... we're back at spike camp and gettin ready to pack up!

Got in last night around 1130 and was up at 5. Got into a good vantage point and turned up 2 does and a potentially really good buck. Aspens were so thick my partner spotted him. He was about 450 yards away, when I moved my gun and took a step I think he heard us. He was about 10' from stepping into a shooting lane but turned uphill and stayed in the thick stuff. Al saw a good front fork on him. We worked our way over and cut his tracks... BIG track.... followed for over an hour in the crunchy snow until we saw where him and the 2 does started bounding up hill. Impossible to sneak up on them in that crunchy snow!

We gave it all we had and had a great hunt. Really happy with the last two days, not sure if we'll be back or not.

We're celebrating with a mountain snow cone, no lemon flavor!! :) will post more pics over the next few days, thanks for following!

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
I ended up killing a deer on the drive out... too bad it was a doe the pickup in front of us hit on the road! :(

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer you guys couldn't get into the bucks more Mike. A fun experience though I'm sure! Give me a call later when you get a chance.

OP
HellsCanyon
Will do Justin! And yeah we had a blast... but we went into it as a week long scouting trip with the opportunity to kill some deer.

OP
HellsCanyon
Here are some more pics of our hunt

This hike out was a bit crazy... 20 MPH winds most the time with snow blowing sideways and no trail out made it a bit dicey...

Setup our shelter setup getting ready to backpack in...

Base camp

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Relaxing before hitting the trailhead:

Starting a new trend... trekking pole art. This is the kind of buck I'm looking for! ha

Spike camp #1

OP
HellsCanyon

Meat buck down

Back to the trailhead with our sweet ass rental... :)

Bull we put our basecamp neighboys onto:

A shot from when we hunted down low. 21* and 22 mph winds... I wore my Firstlite softshell pants and Puffy nearly the whole week. They are by far the best outerwear I've used... badass gear for sure.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Looks like a good trip Mike.

That LBO setup is pretty sweet for waiting out bad weather, isn't it?

It worked out great for sure. Though I think next year I might switch out to Kifaru. If only for the way they've gone out of their way to help me personally! Patrick runs a great company and it's nice not being tied up or "sponsored" by any one company so I can switch to whoever I like. They went beyond the call of customer service on some gear and I'll be supporting them with future gear purchases for sure...

Mike